Speculation: John Tortorella To Be Let Go? (Mod warning post #238)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
huh
you dont like benning or trotz?

I don't like 1-0 hockey games... so I don't like either.

I am so confused about Trotz.

Obviously a very good coach, who for years did so much with so little.
Is the lack of scoring based on the system he likes to play or the personnel he had?

Very hard to determine what Trotz could do on a team that has some firepower... but he also won't have a Shea Weber/Pekka Rinne to lean on...

I honestly don;t know how I feel about possibly bringing in Trotz.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's not as though Seguin wasn't coming off a down year and boatload of negative press when he was traded to the Stars. I didn't see many folks predicting he'd be one of the best scoring centers in the league this year. It was a tremendous gamble by Nill that paid off huge...but i still think a big part of that was installing a coach who was willing to work with what Seguin IS as a player, and not what they think he SHOULD BE. That "superstar Seguin" is still full of holes, at least as much as our very own Sedins. He's not even close to a complete player at this point...but Ruff managed to find ways to get Seguin and Benn into a position to blossom into one of the league's "best pairs" of forwards. Meanwhile, Tortorella took a pair of proven "best pairs" forwards and managed to turn them into...miserable failures.

Benn was a fantastic player under Crawford and Gulutzan; why does Ruff get all the credit?

And as for the bolded, that's generally what happens when one team has 22 and 24 year old 1st liners while the other has 33 year old ones. Does Denis Savard get all the credit for Toews and Kane? Or does Vigneault get all the blame for Naslund's production dropping by 25% when he took over?

Does anyone at all with their sanity intact think that a single team in the league would hire John Tortorella over Lindy Ruff right now if both were hypothetically available?

Tortorella will have trouble finding work because he's hard to work with and his baggage isn't worth it, not because of the results he gets. He certainly didn't get fired from New York for finishing top 2 in the league and getting them to the 3rd and 2nd round in the previous 2 seasons.

Willting*

He did help Kassian. It's been rehashed in the ZK thread but he improved his game by reducing his turnovers coming out of the zone i.e decision-making. Getting him to move his feet more in that part of the game, and to do so consistently overall. There's also a track record in New York.

And other coaches wouldn't have helped Kassian?

Kassian's young so long as he gets ample playing time he will progress, Torts or not.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Willting said:
Kassian's young so long as he gets ample playing time he will progress, Torts or not.

That's simply not true. Ice time does not equal development. There are countless examples of that. Putting players in position to succeed if agree with but not simply icetime.

For many young players just handing them icetime is a sure way to stunt their growth as players whether through loss of confidence or something else.

bo2shink*

Very hard to determine what Trotz could do on a team that has some firepower... but he also won't have a Shea Weber/Pekka Rinne to lean on...

He had Weber, Suter and Hamhuis and goaltending. Gretzky could have 'coached' defence in Nashville.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Trotz has to play that way because of his line up lol. You try having Mike Fisher and David Legwarnd as your #1/2 centers for multiple years.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Babcock is finally going to get the Jack Adams and then he is going to be fired. Amazing.

Bring the '**** home!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Also: Talk is Holland is trying to extend both coaches and wants to try and stretch this out one more year. I don't think that's fair at all. Blashill has NHL suitors. Everyone knows Holland wants Blashill to succeed Babcock. It's incredibly classless to dick them both around like that.

Cut Babcock loose - he'll be unemployed for, like, ten minutes, and promote the guy you want. Or let Blashill take an NHL job. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
No way Babcock gets fired. Detroit was crippled by injuries and still put up a decent fight against a powerhouse Bruins team. Boston has to be the cup favourite.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Pretty selfish to keep Blashill like that; in all likelihood, the chances of Babcock being let go or fired is pretty slim unless Babcock and Holland have an understanding in place that Babcock is leaving for U Michigan. Preventing Blashill from rising into a NHL level coaching position because of the possibility of Babcock finally being let go or fired (unless explicit agreement is already in place) is a dick move on behalf of Holland and will only breed more bad blood.

But yeah, I would take Babcock in a heartbeat. No question there.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It's hard to imagine Babcock getting fired. What are the front office's expectations for that roster? If anything Babcock has over achieved this year.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Since his name came up earlier...

What an extremely selfish move on his part, if there is an opportunity for Blashill to upgrade his career and fulfill his dreams then he should have every right to do so. Holland could just be badgering with the media because I'm sure he doesn't want other GMs hounding him for permission to speak to a rising star coach.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I can see Linden having a keen interest in Willie Desjardins, a former Medicine hat tiger coach that has won championships in the WHL. Won coach of the year last year, Texas Stars have been 1st in the Western Conference two years in a row. If he wins a calder cup this year, then I can definitely see a team snatch him up since Lindy Ruff seems to be a mainstay in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad