Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella suspended 2 games

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
People always point to how loser culture permeates and is hard to get rid of, but it seems to me that "eternal mediocre" culture is just as difficult to reverse. For every perma-bad team like Buffalo, it seems like there are 2 perma-mediocre teams like the Flyers and the Wild.

My biggest gripe with this team is our two decade slop of a farm team and a lack of prospect development. (Let's not even get into the disaster of GM Chuckie Fletcher)

I do hope we are not a 12th to 20th team forever. But when meaningful games end in mid-February year after year... And faced down with the prospect of not having a competitive team (should be 2nd round team) since 2012. It sure is discouraging.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just heard Konecny on Toronto radio. Asked about success vs top teams. He said, great thing is that Torts doesn’t want us to do advance prep. No video or meetings about upcoming opponents, we just worry about what we’re doing.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
One way or another Briere has been able to clear the roster from a lot of the trash that had been sitting in the locker room since last season. At least fourteen guys who dressed for the Flyers during the 2022-23 season are gone along with a couple of more this year.It doesn't take a genius or any in depth analysis to see that these guys needed to be gone.
Some say that Tortorella needs to be given credit for bringing in accountability to the club. I'll say that Briere deserves it instead. He knows what good players are for an organization and the guys that, for one reason or another, didn't measure up are out of here. This summer he'll find a way to jettison a few more. Kudos to Briere for seeing things for what they are and taking action.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
well, this merits elaboration

I thought Torts was a positive influence. Kinda hard not to see him that way given the season Flyers have put together.

So. Very interested in the apparent shitload!

Treatment of Frost, handling of Cates for a while, devotion to Laughton, devotion to Staal, encouraging them to focus on bottom roster players instead of adding talent, refusal to develop players unless there is no other choice, refusal to properly handle the TDL because he wants to win and he has too much influence, usage of Atkinson, lots of baffling roster construction decisions and usage, burning out Couturier for nothing, actively trying to win while making the team worse via the 7D lineups and yet still keeping Deslauriers in, handling of Brink. The PP. Running a system that discourages playmaking, which is a vital skill.

Just off the top of my head. But these are all secretly positive and good! Winning by skill is bad! Just gotta win on work alone! Just like the Islanders have!

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
From that same source material

And also why not name names. In today's screwed up world you know some Fan(atic) is going to go to death threats and possible real violence.
So. As usual we throw up our hands and accept mediocre officiating.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Seriously though, is there any greater sign of how far this franchise has fallen in the last 12 years than people waving the "Success!" flags over maybe making the playoffs? A "feat" half the league accomplishes?
Look at the roster. Torts has made some watered down lemonade out of rocks. Playoffs is a feat this season.

Someone a few comments above said the first Hakstol year was better than this. I'd happily trade this entire roster for that one.

I'm not waving the success flag but it is up the flagpole.

That being said, this team used to be a true contender. Consistent expectations of round 2 or better. It is tough to not want the playoffs after the last dozen years of pain. I'd say out in a maximum of 6 games with Ersson stealing one and Couts to LTIR until Feb 2025!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad