Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella suspended 2 games

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
Elliotte Friedman says that because Torts is a polarizing figure and there were a couple bad calls, the league doesn’t want Torts looking like a victim. He backed up ASF’s belief during the game that Wes McCauley was defending ‘his teammate’ in throwing him out in that nobody told him that he’s wrong.

Also in so many words, said this could become an audition for Brad Shaw to get a head job.
I can already see the news release of them moving Tortorella upstairs into a front office position and promoting Shaw as the HC.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
The problem with the NHL is it's referees aren't accountable for their calls. McCauley is hated by several teams fanbases. He makes vindictive calls when he's questioned. The game was lost in the first ten minutes because our goalie had a bad start NOT because of Torts. If you don't like him that's fine, don't make it up to be the coach. I think all sports should have a limited number of coaches reviews to all plays, penalty free. Unbiased reviews. Referees aren't perfect and it would make for a happier fan base. Torts lost his cool. We're not all robots.

Reactions: 14ari13

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You’re not gonna have any transparency with the league in regards to refs when it comes to sports leagues. Because the reality is there’s a good percentage of fans that are raving lunatics & already are looking for anyone or anything to blame/reason as to why something happened to their favorite team. Refs are the easiest targets so that’s why no league ever says anything publicly.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You’re not gonna have any transparency with the league in regards to refs when it comes to sports leagues. Because the reality is there’s a good percentage of fans that are raving lunatics & already are looking for anyone or anything to blame/reason as to why something happened to their favorite team. Refs are the easiest targets so that’s why no league ever says anything publicly.
not to mention how slow the game would become if every ref whistle had to be reviewed..

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
(Moderator edit)

Tortorella is a dying species. He is no longer needed in today hockey world! He is embarassing for our franchise and embarrasing for the sport of hockey! Maybe that is exactly why he was hired by the franchise cause this franchise only think about the past and the Broad Street Bullies! Its pathetic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Amorgus

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
bag of pucks and a mop..

come get him..

but no returnsy's...
I think your team has overachieved big time because of Tortorella. You are at least 10 points overachieving because of him.
But I honestly don't have time to discuss this any further. I just came to say I support Tortorella because the league and the refs are doing a lousy job. If the fans on this board don't share my opinion about this case I apologise for coming to your board. I thought you too were pissed at the league and refs.
Sure. Read my answer under.
The problem with the NHL is it's referees aren't accountable for their calls. McCauley is hated by several teams fanbases. He makes vindictive calls when he's questioned. The game was lost in the first ten minutes because our goalie had a bad start NOT because of Torts. If you don't like him that's fine, don't make it up to be the coach. I think all sports should have a limited number of coaches reviews to all plays, penalty free. Unbiased reviews. Referees aren't perfect and it would make for a happier fan base. Torts lost his cool. We're not all robots.
Definitely.
Last game we played Vegas and the refs either missed or chose not too se the plays which directly cost us 3 goals. Not one, but 3 goals.
Why can't Tortorella (or any coach) complain about the refs after the game so they also get fined?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
(Moderator edit)

Tortorella is a dying species. He is no longer needed in today hockey world! He is embarassing for our franchise and embarrasing for the sport of hockey! Maybe that is exactly why he was hired by the franchise cause this franchise only think about the past and the Broad Street Bullies! Its pathetic!
100% correct... when he was hired id hoped he'd learned the new game while away and on the hockey panel..

but if anything since coming here hes gone even MORE dinosaur in his thinking..

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I would guess refusing to leave and trying to embarass the league.
I think all that he wanted was to "discuss" the penalty call with the referees. which they obstinately refused to do, which is somewhat abnormal. yes, Torts is going to yell at you, but same as any coach in a blow-off steam mode. the referees were the ones who violated unwritten NHL rules by not giving him his time...it was strange to see them simply refuse to engage, it's their job, 100%.

I don't disagree with the fine, or the suspension. But the referees were cowards...they cannot be cowards.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
They are held accountable by getting to officiate playoff games if they are the best of the group. Now does that mean the playoffs won't have bad calls of course not.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I was just going through the pictures/video from my daughter's 4th bday party last weekend. I took a video of her while we were singing happy birthday and in the reflection of the window behind her was the exact moment Torts got ejected from the TB game. It has been seared into the annals of my personal history archives.

1000002346.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think your team has overachieved big time because of Tortorella. You are at least 10 points overachieving because of him.
But I honestly don't have time to discuss this any further. I just came to say I support Tortorella because the league and the refs are doing a lousy job. If the fans on this board don't share my opinion about this case I apologise for coming to your board. I thought you too were pissed at the league and refs.
Sure. Read my answer under.

Definitely.
Last game we played Vegas and the refs either missed or chose not too se the plays which directly cost us 3 goals. Not one, but 3 goals.
Why can't Tortorella (or any coach) complain about the refs after the game so they also get fined?

And what exactly will that get us?

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad