John Tortorella ejected 10 minutes into game, refused to leave (upd: fined $50k and suspended 2 games)

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
McCauley should have called his bluff and made the Flyers forfeit. I never would have stopped laughing.

People don't pay to watch Torts coach any more than they pay to watch McCauley ref, but you can't make a mockery of the sport like this. If you get ejected, leave the rink. Period.

Si te gusta el hockey then you will likely see the irony in this comment if you believe Torts was the one mocking the sport of hockey here and not the refs.

I say this as someone who likes Wes as a ref and Torts as a coach and human being.

Eventually you gotta take a stand if you see too much bullshit coming your way.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
McCauley should have called his bluff and made the Flyers forfeit. I never would have stopped laughing.

People don't pay to watch Torts coach any more than they pay to watch McCauley ref, but you can't make a mockery of the sport like this. If you get ejected, leave the rink. Period.
All fun and games until someone does it in their Bantam league and screams at the refs who ref for minimum wage. Had it happened to me when I was a kid, it was not fun. Torts should set a better example.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
All fun and games until someone does it in their Bantam league and screams at the refs who ref for minimum wage. Had it happened to me when I was a kid, it was not fun. Torts should set a better example.
Basically this.

It's all great entertainment and chatter for us but it does trickle down so maybe people should stop and think about that?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom and WTG

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
IMG_0271.jpeg

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Basically this.

It's all great entertainment and chatter for us but it does trickle down so maybe people should stop and think about that?
Yup, there is some real "I yell at my kids' game" energy in this thread. As you said, everything that happens in the NHL trickles down to the lower leagues.

Most of those kids reffing do it because they love the game. There is a shortage of refs in Canada, mostly because of garbage like this. Everyone I reffed with had some kind of horror story with a player/coach/parent. Torts should know better/do better.

Last edited:

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Four pages and not even a description of the "bad call(s)" that precipitated this?
-Lightning took a quick 3-0 lead.
-Next shift Eyssimont clearly gets tripped. Refs stop play and announce Tampa #23 (Eyssimont) 2 minutes for tripping even though he was the one who clearly got tripped on the play. Everyone in the building was like WTF. A moment later the refs announce a correction, Phily #23 (Attard) is the one getting the call, not Eyssimont. Obviously now the correct player called but bad look by the refs initially getting the teams confused making the announcement.
-During the Tampa PP there is a stoppage and Hathaway comes onto the ice and decides to bump Cirelli while skating by him. Refs give Hathaway a 10 minute misconduct for it, no other penalty with it so no extra man advantage for Tampa but at this point Torts was fuming.
-Still on the PP for the Attard trip, Tampa scores to make it 4-0
-Torts keeps chirping at the refs so they kick him out and a 2 minute bench minor.

Here's the Hathaway bump. Fine line between being an agitator or an idiot, but this seems more idiot territory to me (not sure it deserved a misconduct though)
Tweet says game misconduct but it was a 10 minute

Last edited:

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
-Lightning took a quick 3-0 lead.
-Next shift Eyssimont clearly gets tripped. Refs stop play and announce Tampa #23 (Eyssimont) 2 minutes for tripping even though he was the one who clearly got tripped on the play. Everyone in the building was like WTF. A moment later the refs announce a correction, Phily #23 (Attard) is the one getting the call, not Eyssimont. Obviously now the correct player called but bad look by the refs initially getting the teams confused making the announcement.
-During the Tampa PP there is a stoppage and Hathaway comes onto the ice and decides to bump Cirelli while skating by him. Refs give Hathaway a 10 minute misconduct for it, no other penalty with it so no extra man advantage for Tampa but at this point Torts was fuming.
-Still on the PP for the Attard trip, Tampa scores to make it 4-0
-Torts keeps chirping at the refs so they kick him out and a 2 minute bench minor.

This nicely omits the fact that Attard was called for a non-existent penalty that enabled the 3-0 PP to begin with a minute before. And the trip was absolutely incidental - dudes got their skates tied up, one stayed up and one fell.

Tampa was all over the flyers, but the refs gave the opportunity to Tampa to put it out of reach very quickly. Credit to them for doing so, but well called it wasn’t. It was an embarrassment for the refs and the Flyers.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
This nicely omits the fact that Attard was called for a non-existent penalty that enabled the 3-0 PP to begin with a minute before. And the trip was absolutely incidental - dudes got their skates tied up, one stayed up and one fell.
Doesn't look like anyone has posted video of it, but that one looked like a clear as day trip to me.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Torts is one of the last real ones.

I miss the good old days when coaches would completely lose their shit at the refs or at other coaches.

Funniest memory was seeing Terry Crisp throwing a hockey stick at a ref like he was trying to break the olympic record at the javelin throw.

He missed, tho.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Here's the Hathaway bump. Fine line between being an agitator or an idiot, but this seems more idiot territory to me (not sure it deserved a misconduct though)
Tweet says game misconduct but it was a 10 minute

That was clear as day Hathaway trying to stir it up, he knew damn well what he was doing coming off the bench during a stoppage to bump/push a stationary player. Well deserved 10min misconduct in a 3-0 game halfway through the first.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
He is a great coach, takes all the attention on him when the team crumbles. His way to protect his players.

• Love
Reactions: Rockman74

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

Tampa was all over the flyers, but the refs gave the opportunity to Tampa to put it out of reach very quickly. Credit to them for doing so, but well called it wasn’t. It was an embarrassment for the refs and the Flyers.
Mikey was either interfered with or tripped. it was the right call

in your opinion...if not...not worth getting tossed for it

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad