John Tortorella ejected 10 minutes into game, refused to leave (upd: fined $50k and suspended 2 games)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Classic Torts, petulant selfish and unprofessional and people eat it up like he's a folk hero. I have no doubt in my mind that he deserved to be kicked out hahaha
This is the part that surprised me just a little bit. For all the complaints about how unprofessional the league is at times and how tough these guys are supposed to be, it always is a bit of a head-scratcher that people heap praise on the dude throwing a tantrum like a toddler. Like he's somehow above reproach.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This is the part that surprised me just a little bit. For all the complaints about how unprofessional the league is at times and how tough these guys are supposed to be, it always is a bit of a head-scratcher that people heap praise on the dude throwing a tantrum like a toddler. Like he's somehow above reproach.

I'm not. Jerry Springer was on the air for 27years lol

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'd say those bad hockey parents aren't saying "the pro's do this so it's okay", they're just shitheads taking things too seriously.

Let's take this the other way: the NFL and NBA have fairly stricter guidelines on coaching behavior compared to the NHL and MLB, to varying degrees. I'd say the NBA is probably "strictest" due to proximity to the fans and anybody doing what Tortorella did here or walking out on the court to cause a scuffle would be seen as a shithead. A lot of these guys (across all of the sports) get ear time because, get this, it's their job. Makes no difference, parents of athletes can be f***ing assholes no matter the sport. There's not a famous chair-throwing, tantrum pitching tennis coach I can name off the top of my head but that's very likely not stopping overbearing parents just because they don't have a role model.

Anybody, in any sport, who thinks they're one of the coaches just because they identify with and want to personify their favorite professional sports manager, coaching adults and not children is a complete and utter f***wit.

Everybody should try to set an example, so even when they fail in the moment an NHL coach's behavior is not an excuse for others to do the same thing but worse.
I disagree; allowing and praising this behavior creates a culture that allows for tolerance when this sort of stuff happens in the u-16 leagues. You may say stuff like "shit-head going to shit-head," which I agree with, but part of being able to be a bad hockey parent is other parents not standing up. Because of the culture around the game.

I've had it before where an older ref had to kick a parent out and ended up kicking out the wrong parents because the other parents were unwilling to stand up and point the finger. There is this culture around hockey that needs to change, where abuse of officials is widely accepted. That culture should not be encouraged and should be heavily regulated at the top.

The NHL and hockey, in general, need to do a whole lot better in protecting refs from abuse.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Imagine if the Flyers falls out of playoff contention because of this, yikes.

I like me some Torts, but there are also elements to his act that are quite annoying.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I
I disagree; allowing and praising this behavior creates a culture that allows for tolerance when this sort of stuff happens in the u-16 leagues. You may say stuff like "shit-head going to shit-head," which I agree with, but part of being able to be a bad hockey parent is other parents not standing up. Because of the culture around the game.

I've had it before where an older ref had to kick a parent out and ended up kicking out the wrong parents because the other parents were unwilling to stand up and point the finger. There is this culture around hockey that needs to change, where abuse of officials is widely accepted. That culture should not be encouraged and should be heavily regulated at the top.

The NHL and hockey, in general, need to do a whole lot better in protecting refs from abuse.
I agree abuse of officials is bad but how about officials abusing their power and not calling a fair game.
In youth sports the refs should all call. It with a view to safety first.

In the NHL the refs are so inconsistent that it is shocking more coaches don't lose it like torts did. Their jobs are on the line unlike the refs jobs based on wins and losses.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I think my point is that it's just an unfortunate byproduct of accessibility in youth sports. If we say the NHL "praises this" and it's creating a result at the lower levels we need to look at sports that don't praise the activity and are much closer to zero tolerance, and that's where it all falls apart to me.

I mean, as an American I guess I haven't met enough Canadian youth hockey parents to be certain of this one but I've seen a good amount basketball/soccer/football parents that absolutely suck and can't leave shit alone, throw fits, and think they're extra coaches with the right to talk to officials like they deserve a heads up. These aren't professional leagues that tolerate that shit at all, but it doesn't stop pushy parents.

Feels like if you spend extended time around youth sports you're just going to see that no matter what.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I think my point is that it's just an unfortunate byproduct of accessibility in youth sports. If we say the NHL "praises this" and it's creating a result at the lower levels we need to look at sports that don't praise the activity and are much closer to zero tolerance, and that's where it all falls apart to me.

I mean, as an American I guess I haven't met enough Canadian youth hockey parents to be certain of this one but I've seen a good amount basketball/soccer/football parents that absolutely suck and can't leave shit alone, throw fits, and think they're extra coaches with the right to talk to officials like they deserve a heads up. These aren't professional leagues that tolerate that shit at all, but it doesn't stop pushy parents.

Feels like if you spend extended time around youth sports you're just going to see that no matter what.
I completely understand what you are saying. But I disagree with the idea that "it's going to happen no matter what." We can always strive to be better. We can improve ref abuse/bad parent abuse. I truly do believe that. That's why stuff like this bothers me. I hope you can understand my point of view.
I agree abuse of officials is bad but how about officials abusing their power and not calling a fair game.

In the NHL the refs are so inconsistent that it is shocking more coaches don't lose it like torts did. Their jobs are on the line unlike the refs jobs based on wins and losses.
The way I see it is that Reffing is just as much of a tough sport as playing hockey is. You really have to have an eye for it. I think it's easy for us with a birdseye view on the game to see plays that might be "obvious" that the refs can't see. One of the main things they tell you when you do your reffing exam is that you, as a ref, are also part of the game. That means that you can get stuff wrong just like the players.

I also think the perception of the refs is heavily influenced by how the game is commentated. Personally, I think that all commentary teams need to have their colour commentator pass the exact same reffing exam as the NHL refs have to. There are so many times when I listen to a broadcast, and I walk away thinking, "how tf are these guys qualified to talk about hockey."

The commentators shape how the fanbase perceives the game to an extent most people do not understand. Also, bring back ref cams, so that we can see what refs see and what they don't see.

Going back to your point, I think refs do call the game fairly as they see it.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
How do you guys still blindly support these officials? If you have a problem with Torts it’s you that keeps these awful refs employed.
lmao this is gold. So if I complain about the refs they will lose their jobs because I have so much influence. You win the dumbest post award for the foreseeable future.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I

Refs are inconsistent there's no doubt about it. All humans are. But they are "fair" most of the time. Their inconsistency can go either way it's mostly just luck. What we see here has nothing to do with that. Flyers are slowly crumbling. It's not a very good lineup. I mean been there done that we all know Tort. He can force his players to give their 120% for a while until it doesn't work anymore.

I mean Tort is just trying to wake up his team here nothing to do with the ref himself. Flyers went from a position where they were comfortably in the playoffs to a position where they are just 3 points away from missing and they have two more games played than NYI and one more game played then Detroit. I'll never understand the over glorification of Tort personally. He would be my last choice to coach my team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
lmao this is gold. So if I complain about the refs they will lose their jobs because I have so much influence. You win the dumbest post award for the foreseeable future.
And your post is far, far dumber, to say the least.
If you want to continue this discussion with me you can PM, so we can continue.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Has anyone started the share for Tortorella?
I would gladly give my money for the fine he got.
Both the league and the referees are doing a terrible job. Tortorella was right.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Refs are inconsistent there's no doubt about it. All humans are. But they are "fair" most of the time. Their inconsistency can go either way it's mostly just luck. What we see here has nothing to do with that. Flyers are slowly crumbling. It's not a very good lineup. I mean been there done that we all know Tort. He can force his players to give their 120% for a while until it doesn't work anymore.

I mean Tort is just trying to wake up his team here nothing to do with the ref himself. Flyers went from a position where they were comfortably in the playoffs to a position where they are just 3 points away from missing and they have two more games played than NYI and one more game played then Detroit. I'll never understand the over glorification of Tort personally. He would be my last choice to coach my team.
I understand what you are saying but I think he cares. He is no Babcock but he is not John Cooper. There is still a place for him in the league.

You are saying refs are human now that is wacky talk haha

Reactions: LaP

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I completely understand what you are saying. But I disagree with the idea that "it's going to happen no matter what." We can always strive to be better. We can improve ref abuse/bad parent abuse. I truly do believe that. That's why stuff like this bothers me. I hope you can understand my point of view.

The way I see it is that Reffing is just as much of a tough sport as playing hockey is. You really have to have an eye for it. I think it's easy for us with a birdseye view on the game to see plays that might be "obvious" that the refs can't see. One of the main things they tell you when you do your reffing exam is that you, as a ref, are also part of the game. That means that you can get stuff wrong just like the players.

I also think the perception of the refs is heavily influenced by how the game is commentated. Personally, I think that all commentary teams need to have their colour commentator pass the exact same reffing exam as the NHL refs have to. There are so many times when I listen to a broadcast, and I walk away thinking, "how tf are these guys qualified to talk about hockey."

The commentators shape how the fanbase perceives the game to an extent most people do not understand. Also, bring back ref cams, so that we can see what refs see and what they don't see.

Going back to your point, I think refs do call the game fairly as they see it.
I think you have a very healthy view of refs and obviously have tried or know someone who has reffed. I am not saying it is easy but there are times I wonder if they are not biased and don't get me started on color commentators.
I fear for those who listen too closely to what most of them say.

Reactions: WTG

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I understand what you are saying but I think he cares. He is no Babcock but he is not John Cooper. There is still a place for him in the league.

You are saying refs are human now that is wacky talk haha
Oh i agree i don't think he is a terrible human being or anything lie that. It's just that his method of coaching doesn't fit the current NHL (it did many years ago). It's a league based on skills now and less on grind. It's the 80ies again but without the goons.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oh i agree i don't think he is a terrible human being or anything lie that. It's just that his method of coaching doesn't fit the current NHL (it did many years ago). It's a league based on skills now and less on grind. It's the 80ies again but without the goons.
Well he's in a playoff spot with a flyers roster that should be well below teams like Ottawa Senators so I'd say that his coaching style is working just fine in the current NHL.

Reactions: Summer Rose

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well he's in a playoff spot with a flyers roster that should be well below teams like Ottawa Senators so I'd say that his coaching style is working just fine in the current NHL.
Yes because he has a grinding team. Try wining the cup with that though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Let me make it easy for even someone like you to understand, if enough people stand against the NHL then they will likely make changes. They’ve done it before it’d be moronic to assume they wouldn’t bow to the feet of the people who pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00