John Tortorella ejected 10 minutes into game, refused to leave (upd: fined $50k and suspended 2 games)

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Neutral fan and i love it. It's entertainment. A bit of a let down that he actually left. He should have stayed and turned into a hostage situation, take back the call or we're here forever.

Yes because he has a grinding team. Try wining the cup with that though.
Not to say the 06 TBL were merely grinders but Torts has a cup and is a well respected coach who for 2-3 seasons gets a lot out of his teams. His CBJ swept the best team in the league (TBL) in i think 2017.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I say this as someone who generally thinks NHL reffing has been very poor for several seasons now. But if some coach was yapping at me about not liking a call my first response would be "then tell your players to stop diving so I can do my f***ing job correctly."

In a league where diving becomes more and more accepted, officiating is only going to get more and more inconsistent.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I say this as someone who generally thinks NHL reffing has been very poor for several seasons now. But if some coach was yapping at me about not liking a call my first response would be "then tell your players to stop diving so I can do my f***ing job correctly."

In a league where diving becomes more and more accepted, officiating is only going to get more and more inconsistent.

I mean.... to be fair, a ref should be expected to do his job correctly regardless of how often a player/team dives. Just call it when it happens, problem solved. :laugh:

Reactions: pekka55

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I mean.... to be fair, a ref should be expected to do his job correctly regardless of how often a player/team dives. Just call it when it happens, problem solved. :laugh:

At game speed players diving and faking calls only makes it harder for refs to decide what's a real penalty worth calling or not.

Reactions: Summer Rose

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
10 years from now refs will be allowed tasers and have to read players their rights before sending them to the penalty box.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Calling only the dive would stop the issue and would be a hell of a lot better than disgracing the sport by refusing to call the game honestly. The refs need to be getting suspensions when they choose not to conduct themselves appropriately.

Reactions: Incognito

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is a good watch. SDPN absolutely takes the NHL refs to task for the current situation for a solid 15 mins. They bring up a lot of great points.

Reactions: Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
This is a good watch. SDPN absolutely takes the NHL refs to task for the current situation for a solid 15 mins. They bring up a lot of great points.

Completely agree. The reffing in the NHL (and in most sports) is comically bad and there is zero accountability. I've watched my fair share of games that were ruined by the refs, especially in the playoffs. Torts may have deserved to get thrown out, but it's frustrating that there are no occasions where an official who clearly doesn't do his job well faces a consequence too.

The point about betting being more and more popular and legitimized by the league is important too. There's going to be a lot scrutiny and they have to develop mecanisms to reinforce the customers' confidence in the integrity of the games.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
A handful of boomers watching at home love this stuff
I'm not a boomer and I love it. Refs have sucked for a long long time and if you call them out you get fined. Ridiculous.

Everyone else get also shit on. Player plays bad, he gets shit. Coach sucks, he gets shit. GM sucks he gets shit. Owner sucks, he gets shit. What's so special about refs that they can't be called out if the suck?

This is like Fight club. First rule of fight club is that you don't talk about refs. They're grown ass men. They can handle a bit of criticism.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I said at the time that he looked foolish. He was never going to be allowed to stay on the bench. There was only one way that was going to end and that's how it did: with him tucking his tail between his legs and leaving. All he accomplished was looking a fool, getting fined and getting suspended. I really don't understand why anyone thinks this was a good move or thinks it somehow benefited Torts or the Flyers.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I said at the time that he looked foolish. He was never going to be allowed to stay on the bench. There was only one way that was going to end and that's how it did: with him tucking his tail between his legs and leaving. All he accomplished was looking a fool, getting fined and getting suspended. I really don't understand why anyone thinks this was a good move or thinks it somehow benefited Torts or the Flyers.
It brought attention to the officiating problem. The more people talk about it, the more pressure the league will feel to start holding the refs accountable for their misconduct.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It brought attention to the officiating problem. The more people talk about it, the more pressure the league will feel to start holding the refs accountable for their misconduct.
I have a hard time believing that anyone actually thinks that Tortorella making a fool of himself and getting suspended is going to have any meaningful impact on NHL officiating, which has been terrible for as long as the NHL has existed.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I have a hard time believing that anyone actually thinks that Tortorella making a fool of himself and getting suspended is going to have any meaningful impact on NHL officiating, which has been terrible for as long as the NHL has existed.
The more people who call out the officials, the worse the league gets embarrassed. Eventually, the gambling companies have grounds for a lawsuit if the league's refusal to clean things up impacts their revenue due to consumers realizing that the games aren't being called honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00