John Tortorella ejected 10 minutes into game, refused to leave (upd: fined $50k and suspended 2 games)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So he wasn’t really taking a bold stand in the game but rather throwing a tantrum in a game his team was being blown out in

Everyone is acting like Torts is some brave freedom fighter standing up for what he believe in. In reality he’s an aggrieved child who threw a tantrum and is now taking his punishment.

Not sure “freedom fighter” has ever been a more empty, meaningless team than here and that’s really saying something.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The NHL isn't fixing the problem voluntarily. Do you think the conduct of the officials is currently acceptable?
That's a very different question. Are you acknowledging then that unprofessional behaviour as a way to fix the perceived officiating problem is a silly idea?

To answer your question...
No, I don't see NHL officiating as a particularly pressing concern. It isn't any more problematic than the officiating in any high level sports that I follow.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Right call by the league, can't be doing that immature shit.

I bet Torts wish he handled it better. I think the fact his GM sold off some good pieces of his team while he's in the race to make the playoffs and getting killed 10mins into the game just pushed him off the edge. I highly doubt this is him just going off at the refs, and more frustration at the state of things going on with his team.
Exactly. People here who hate authority of any kind jumped down my throat when I said the same.

Let throbbing forehead vein Torts wear the dunce cap for a couple of games, and let his jagweed owner pay the 50k.

People need to control their f***ing emotions.

And to the guy who said he smiles any time refs get hit with a puck or lose an edge, better hope none of your kids ever becomes an official... seems like you might disown them.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is going in circles now but the relevance is in that you hope he acknowledges his behaviour. That's based off an assumption that he hasn't or won't.
No, it's based on hope that he'll do the right thing. At no point did I state any assumptions about wether he will or won't.

There's nothing circular here. I'm simply trying to follow your shifting fence posts & pointing out where your comments are not relevant to the points you are replying to.

the Fraser and peel examples were intended to show that sometimes there's more to the story than meets the eye and so far in your responses, you haven't considered that possibility and made it all about Tortorella.
There is no story that makes the behaviour ok. It was bad behaviour, period.

It's all about Tortorella because it was his behaviour.

Not sure why you are so intent on avoiding these two simple and obvious facts :dunno:

If you think that an NHL coach should go on vulgar tirades and refuse to comply every time the officials make calls they don't like because you thinks it's entertaining... So be it. While I can appreciate that it was funny to see, ultimately that kind of immature behavior is not that entertaining. I like competitors that bring intensity & sportsmanship to the table, and leaders that can maintain their composure & dignity even when things get emotional. To each their own.

Deserved. Sends the right message. Behave like a child, go to your room for a timeout.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Exactly. People here who hate authority of any kind jumped down my throat when I said the same.

Let throbbing forehead vein Torts wear the dunce cap for a couple of games, and let his jagweed owner pay the 50k.

People need to control their f***ing emotions.

And to the guy who said he smiles any time refs get hit with a puck or lose an edge, better hope none of your kids ever becomes an official... seems like you might disown them.

The problem with the refs is they're not held accountable for their utter garbage. It's not a hating authority thing it's an accountability thing. That said I agree you can't just not leave the ice when you're kicked out of a game by a ref.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No they're not. Most people just think it's funny or are glad to see the officials get a little bit of what they deserve.
There a difference between “lol that was kinda funny.” and “yea stick it to the man. You show em”

Sometimes I see a kid throw a fit and I chuckle a bit. It’s funny. But I don’t pretend they’re anything but a child throwing a tantrum.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
League takes this more seriously than swinging a stick at someone's head

And it's not tort's fault that some moron coaching a peewee game can't understand the difference between that and an NHL game. Parents have been yelling at refs since the dawn of time

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The NHL is an embarrassment as usual.

There a difference between “lol that was kinda funny.” and “yea stick it to the man. You show em”

Sometimes I see a kid throw a fit and I chuckle a bit. It’s funny. But I don’t pretend they’re anything but a child throwing a tantrum.

Refs have been throwing their own version of tantrums more often of late.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
So he wasn’t really taking a bold stand in the game but rather throwing a tantrum in a game his team was being blown out in

Everyone is acting like Torts is some brave freedom fighter standing up for what he believe in. In reality he’s an aggrieved child who threw a temper tantrum, got grounded, had some allowance taken anway, and is now taking his punishment.

I agree with you. Now he’s going to miss two games, over a meaningless display in a 7-0 drubbing.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
This league is mickey mouse
No. What is Mickey Mouse is having a coach or a player get to treat ejections and penalties as optional.

So in your (and everyone who thinks what Torts did was acceptable) world, players can refuse to leave the ice and go to the penalty box if they (gasp!) disagree with a call? Should the refs back down and revoke their call for every player who throws a tantrum? How long do we wait for the coach or player to leave the bench when tossed? 10 minute delay? 20? Just take an extra intermission until poor little coach agrees to leave? And this can't just apply to Torts or the Flyers. Every player and every coach can ignore the refs rulings anytime they think a call is bad!!

If I was the NHL, I would have suspended Tortorella the rest of regular season and that would guarantee that he or any other coach would never pull that stunt again.

Can't have players and coaches thinking they have an option whether to comply with an official's decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad