John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Connors on his way to his 3rd straight 100 point season. It's not even right now. He's in a league of his own in this sport right now. Matthews is in a group of elite talent that can do amazing things themselves but none are on the same level as Connor.

I relate much better to points 60 than per season but do not devalue 100 point seasons ;))

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Its because Tavares is supposed to be the best player on the team but you are disappointed that we have two other superstars as good as him. Be happy not spoiled. We wouldn't have noticed how good Sundin was if he had Marner/Mathews instead of Jonus Hoglund or Nik Antropov.

Reactions: Lauro

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I’d actually like to see him with Mango and Kappy. I would be interested to see him back running a line again. Marner takes all the touches so it’s hard to see Tavares showcase himself. It’s like when Willy plays with Matthews. Matthews becomes the finisher and Willy lugs the puck around and creates holes in the defence. Regardless it’s hard to complain with a 50 goal and ppg pace.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mango - Tavares - Kapenen
Marleau - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

Reactions: Big Cactus

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Maybe point out where I said it's a terrible contract?

Jesus Christ the reading comprehension on here is grade school level.
So is people's sense of humour.

Anyway, give it a few year before judging it. He's being paid for 7 years. We should see a number of them before deciding one way or another, shouldn't we?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Anyway, give it a few year before judging it. He's being paid for 7 years. We should see a number of them before deciding one way or another, shouldn't we?

Not necessarily, no.

How many years did it take for Clarkson to be an awful signing? Many would argue it didn't even take until the 1st game he played. And they wouldn't be wrong.

Big difference though between judging that and judging a Tavares who has actually produced more then most expected this early.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm agreeing with everything you say up until here.

"Keeping them fresh for spring" is complete bull**** and it does nothing. Other elite teams see no need to do things like these and they've all went further than us the last 2 years. I've seen no evidence that this "keeping them fresh" ideology translates to any more success in the playoffs.
Babcock doesn't even try to keep players fresh. He tries to limit their powerplay time. I've never heard of anyone getting fatigued from too much time on the powerplay. If Babcock actually cared about resting his players, he would show it with Hainsey and Andersen

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock doesn't even try to keep players fresh. He tries to limit their powerplay time. I've never heard of anyone getting fatigued from too much time on the powerplay. If Babcock actually cared about resting his players, he would show it with Hainsey and Andersen
Limits their PP time and completely bamboozles himself with match-ups, which is why we end up with incredibly ridiculous scenarios where Komarov, Hyman and Brown lead ice-time. He was throwing out Kadri-Komarov to start out in 3 on 3 OT last year, who the f*** does this?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Limits their PP time and completely bamboozles himself with match-ups, which is why we end up with incredibly ridiculous scenarios where Komarov, Hyman and Brown lead ice-time. He was throwing out Kadri-Komarov to start out in 3 on 3 OT last year, who the **** does this?
His matchup chasing is unreal. It made sense when he had bozak and had to shelter that line, but now he has 3 lines who can play against anyone. He can relax with that. But then he'll decide to completely go the other way and easily allow his shitty 4th line to get stuck out there against the opponent's top line for no good reason. It's baffling

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
His matchup chasing is unreal. It made sense when he had bozak and had to shelter that line, but now he has 3 lines who can play against anyone. He can relax with that. But then he'll decide to completely go the other way and easily allow his ****ty 4th line to get stuck out there against the opponent's top line for no good reason. It's baffling

There’s nothing better than a guy who watches hockey on a couch pretending he knows better than one of the best coaches of all time. Good times

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
John Tavares is PPG so far this year and that's f***ing awesome. 20 goals in 33 games, he and Marner are fantastic to watch together. Tavares has never had a playmaker as good as Marner and Marner has never had a finisher as good as Tavares. It's a match made in heaven and 20 goals in 33 games from JT is pretty friggin sweet!

Reactions: Mork

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There’s nothing better than a guy who watches hockey on a couch pretending he knows better than one of the best coaches of all time. Good times
well there is something worse, and it's people who pretend people in positions of authority can never have their decisions questioned. People much smarter than Babcock have made poor decisions before, and people as dumb as me have been right

Reactions: Kiwi and IPS

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
well there is something worse, and it's people who pretend people in positions of authority can never have their decisions questioned. People much smarter than Babcock have made poor decisions before, and people as dumb as me have been right

No doubt people need to be questioned, but the results speak for themselves. He has done wonders for this team and players are flourishing under him. If they were a mediocre team than he can be criticized, but they are a top team in the league.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just because he is the second highest paid player in the league does not mean that he has to be the second best player. A lot of factors go into why a player gets paid what they get paid. It never works like the player who is the highest paid is the best player, the second highest is the second best player, etc.

Reactions: Lauro

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

No I can be disappointed if he's shut down in the playoffs and we be bow out in round 1. You won't be? That's pretty weird.

Next year is a new year though. He can redeem himself if the above happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad