John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Wait until he has a full season under his belt and we get a look at him in playoffs. Playoffs is what we really care about anyway, isn't it?

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm reserving my disappointment for the playoffs. If he's held to a minor role and there's an early first round exit I'll consider his contributions disappointing.

Premature thread. He's on pace for 50 goals. Pump the brakes a bit. Babcock teams don't produce Art Ross winners. It's a team game and team success > individual success.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
I’ve been happy with him. He’s scoring a ton of goals, good on face offs, goes hard to the net, looks stronger on the puck than I remember from watching him in the past. Haven’t seen as much creativity from him but part of that is because Mitch has the puck all the time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He’s on pace for 49 goals and is over PPG.

How in any universe is that underwhelming?

Marner is great but he’s also getting a fairly large boost from playing with JT

It's almost like good players benefit from playing with each other.

Tavares is playing less and still contributing at an elite level. Just because the team is in a bit of a bad stretch of games, it doesn't mean he's disappointing.

He'll heat back up again and he'll go back to fist bumping everytime you hear his name as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

He won't be the 2nd paid player in the league in the very near future. Welcome to the NHL and the salary cap.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He started slowly (to be expected being on a new team), but has been awesome since. Either people have some real unrealistic expectations, or simple have no clue what a good hockey player looks like.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've thought he's played and been great. Money well spent.

Two 1st overall picks making up our top two centres? Yes please.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I don't understand someone being underwhelmed at all. He's on pace for 50+ goals and has filled in marvelously when Matthews was hurt. The team is doing great if slumping a bit right now. When Matthews and Nylander get back up to speed, Tavares will probably be even more effective as he won't be shadowed as closely.

Tavares is arguably one of the best free-agent forward signings in the league, ever.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Honestly very stupid thread. Tavares has played very well so far this season. Anyone who gets a 50 goal regular season in today's NHL is a superstar. But where Tavares will earn his pay grade is in 1st round against Boston. He will give us that net front tough skilled presence and he won't get pushed around like our other forwards (exception being Hyman). That line will be the key for us defeating Boston. And I take Tavares over Bergeron straight up all day every day and twice on Sundays. But time will tell.

Reactions: Mork

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.

16438851.jpg

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He's got a reputation for making marginal wingers great.

Minus Mitch. Dearly me, don't say it again.

He's the idea guy on his own line, though, with whatever prospects they can throw at him, imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he's been great.

What happen to the OP? Why start a thread and not discuss the replies?

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Underwhelming?? I think he's been good. And I think he's got more to give too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Nice troll bud. He is over a P/PG. Mitch carries the puck and makes plays, it's what he does and JT is loving it. That's how tandems work lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->