John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares averaged 20 minutes a night for years in LI. Matty wants more time per game. Kadri wants to keep his minutes at minimum.

Tavares has got his money now so he will do what Babs thinks is right in regular season and maybe even pace himself a little more so he has all his juice for the post season when he knows he needs to lead the team. But his line has been our best and we need them right now with Matty and Nylander recovering to game speed.

Matty wants more ice and 1st line PP time so he can lead the league in scoring and get his contract. Unfortunately he has been getting hurt which is making things difficult. In the end his injuries may help us out with his CAP hit.

Kadri has been a good soldier but he wants to make sure he is not losing his ice time so he can produce more. Unfortunately he has lost his focus a bit when losing his role as primary stopper of other teams best line. But Babs has recently put him with Nylander and Marleau which should help him jump out of his slump. But he is streaky.

For me Matty should go 22 minutes a night as he is young and needs to push himself at this stage of his career. JT and Kadri 17 minutes. and 4 minutes max to Par.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They're pro athletes, they can handle it. I mean the last god-knows-how-many cup winners have all done fine winning their cups playing their stars more than we did last year. You completely refuse to look at the bigger picture.

And yeah, I'm sure Winnipeg losing to Vegas last year was cause their stars were fatigued (even though Scheifele was their only guy doing anything in that series :laugh:), totally not red-hot Fleury.

I completely agree with you. Unless a player of elite caliber is injured slightly you play the hell out of them if they have that endurance in them to compete consistently with the extra ice time.

Babcock pissed off Matthews in last years playoffs by limiting his ice time when we all know he should have been riding him hard and double shifting him.

However, we are a good young team still piecing the puzzle together!

I do think however that Kadri should be moved to the left wing with Tavares and Magic and Matthews should get Nylander and Hyman back as his linemates!

Marleau plays 3rd line center (mentors them)with Kappy and Johnsson!

Kadri/Tavares/Marner could be a very very dangerous line with all the right components to dominate offensive zonetime and possession and give you great play away from the puck

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tavares is a hockey genius who can adapt his game to whatever he's working with. If you gave him Tarasenko and Boeser as his wingers he'd probably score 25 goals and have 75 assists.

He thinks and adjusts at such a level of detail that him going from having line mates that shoot right vs left is something he talks about and dwells on as being an important adjustment. I don't think most players see and think the game in close to that level of detail.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
He absolutely did not:

Forward ice-time distribution for Red Wings in their cup-winning year regular season:
NHL.com - Stats
Playoffs:
NHL.com - Stats

Forward ice-time distribution for Maple Leafs last year regular season:
NHL.com - Stats
Playoffs:
NHL.com - Stats

He absolutely did not "do the same thing". In fact, didn't look like he did much at all to "manage fatigue" for his top players in Detroit. Which is fine, cause none of the other cup winners did either.

Maybe Babcock should be worried about getting to May first come playoff time. His even-distribution crap didn't get us past round 1, so maybe the whole running 3 lines (and actually playing superstars for superstar minutes) wouldn't have been such a bad idea?

You wanted the disappointing superstars to play more?

There is a reason players that young dont play those types of minutes. McDavid being the exception. Come playoff time especially.

You seem oblivious that the teams you are comparing us to are riding vets in their late 20’s and early 30’s and the extra time they are getting is almost all special teams.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
With all the underachievers on this team presently, you decide to call out Johnny T. Strange.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
We were one line team and our goalie was meh, IMO that's why we didn't go past round 1.

The 3.76GAA and save % below .900 performance had nothing to do with it. Or missing Kadri for 3 games.

We just didn't play Matthews enough! I mean never mind the fact that the Boston top line owned anything we put on the ice at virtually any time in their own building. It was all Babcock's bench management that cost us that series, apparently :laugh:

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
We were one line team and our goalie was meh, IMO that's why we didn't go past round 1.

We didn't go past round 1 because of one bad period, we were the better team the previous 8 periods. It took all of the Bruins energy to take us out like that, that's why they were basically swept by the Bolts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I completely agree with you. Unless a player of elite caliber is injured slightly you play the hell out of them if they have that endurance in them to compete consistently with the extra ice time.

Babcock pissed off Matthews in last years playoffs by limiting his ice time when we all know he should have been riding him hard and double shifting him.

However, we are a good young team still piecing the puzzle together!

I do think however that Kadri should be moved to the left wing with Tavares and Magic and Matthews should get Nylander and Hyman back as his linemates!

Marleau plays 3rd line center (mentors them)eith Kappy and Johnsson!
You must be fair to Babs, Matty was not the same player after he came back from shoulder/head injuries last year. And I'm saying that even though he is my favourite player on team. When you coach you have to do it in the teams best interest. And Matty was not doing it against Boston. He got shut down by Chara. Babs will remember exactly what happened and now with Tavares it will be impossible for Boston to shut down him too. The only issue left is figuring out the Boston forecheck and cycle game. I think we need a couple larger faster defense who can break the cycle and then we get past Boston. This should be the main goal. It looks like 1st place is long gone now.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
LMAO

Over a ppg and on pace for 50 goals. "Im pretty disappointed with his season so far". What were you expecting? 150 points with 100 goals? Lol

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
We didn't go past round 1 because of one bad period, we were the better team the previous 8 periods. It took all of the Bruins energy to take us out like that, that's why they were basically swept by the Bolts.

And it's all a part of the inevitable growing pains with young teams.

People seem to think you just flip a switch and become a contender with no flaws. Most, if not all, NHL players lose many times before they break through in the playoffs. Not sure why our group would be any different.

Crosby didn't win a Cup until his 4th season and he had depth around him from almost day 1. Tampa still hasn't won with Stamkos and Hedman. It's not as easy as play the best players until they drop as some would have you believe.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You wanted the disappointing superstars to play more?

There is a reason players that young dont play those types of minutes. McDavid being the exception. Come playoff time especially.

You seem oblivious that the teams you are comparing us to are riding vets in their late 20’s and early 30’s and the extra time they are getting is almost all special teams.

Matthews is no less a exception than McDavid in my eyes. Just putting that out there that some of us believe that. I wonder if lots here never played a sport in quick exausting tournaments. You find ways to rest and recoup pretty quickly when it comes right down to it.

I don’t agree with Babcock’s ice time dispersal with elite forwards. I say forwards because he does ride his defense very hard to a fault and eases up on his superstar forwards ice time to a different fault in terms of philosophy of ice time dispersal???? I just don’t get it.

I just don’t get it because it is contradicting philosophy!

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Whoever won that series was out next round, you need 3 lines and good goaltending to get past 2 rounds, IMO

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Matthews is no less a exception than McDavid in my eyes. Just putting that out there that some of us believe that. I wonder if lots here never played a sport in quick exausting tournaments. You find ways to rest and recoup pretty quickly when it comes right down to it.

I don’t agree with Babcock’s ice time dispersal with elite forwards. I say forwards because he does ride his defense very hard to a fault and eases up on his superstar forwards ice time fault.

I just don’t get it because it is contradicting philosophy!

McDavid is on a whole other level with his speed. He's absolutely an exception for a shooter like Matthews who relies on his hands and positioning.

Coaches tend to appear to ride their D because they only have 6 of them. Babcock doesn't ride these D like we seen with Phaneuf.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The eleven mil/yr will not stand out as much in a few years.However his work ethic /production will stand out.

That's the chance taken with free agency (any eventual potential production decline). If the team can win over the next seven seasons, it'll have all been well worth it. (factoring in all situations that have taken place and those yet to come)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
McDavid is on a whole other level with his speed. He's absolutely an exception for a shooter like Matthews who relies on his hands and positioning.

Coaches tend to appear to ride their D because they only have 6 of them. Babcock doesn't ride these D like we seen with Phaneuf.

I don’t think there is much difference when it comes to game breaking abilities actually. I think you will see Matthews bring the debate out over time as the seasons go.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I don’t think there is much difference when it comes to game breaking abilities actually. I think you will see Matthews bring the debate out over time as the seasons go.

There is no debating that Connor has a speed level above perhaps 99.9% of those who have ever played the game and comparing his usage to anyone elses makes no sense as he's able to be utilized in different ways both due to his own speed and skill but also his teams lack of depth around him.

Matthews is a bit slower. Electric hands. Amazing skill. But doesn't have that extra gear Connor has that means a little more body contact and action around his play.

With more usage comes more fatigue and other issues that arise from that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think so too. In fact when you look at ES results the numbers will surprise you. They do it differently no doubt. McJesus with speed acceleration and nifty hands. Matty with 200 ft game, strength on stick, shot and ice/puck control. It has been hard to figure out because of Matty's injuries and reduced ice. Once contracts are both signed and assuming both have injury free years then we will see who is better. If we gave Matty the extra ice time now and he puts up insane numbers then we have an issue with his CAP.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There is no debating that Connor has a speed level above perhaps 99.9% of those who have ever played the game and comparing his usage to anyone elses makes no sense as he's able to be utilized in different ways both due to his own speed and skill but also his teams lack of depth around him.

Matthews is a bit slower. Electric hands. Amazing skill. But doesn't have that extra gear Connor has that means a little more body contact and action around his play.

With more usage comes more fatigue and other issues that arise from that.
Nobody questions connors speed, nobody i know anyway:)) but for game breaking ability its pretty even from what i see. Hitch is already lobbying for more calls for players hooking McDavid and getting away with it lol. If they start calling more hooks as i suspect, both Auston and Connor will be virtually impossible to restrain.

Matthews should play and could play more when required.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think so too. In fact when you look at ES results the numbers will surprise you. They do it differently no doubt. McJesus with speed acceleration and nifty hands. Matty with 200 ft game, strength on stick, shot and ice/puck control. It has been hard to figure out because of Matty's injuries and reduced ice. Once contracts are both signed and assuming both have injury free years then we will see who is better. If we gave Matty the extra ice time now and he puts up insane numbers then we have an issue with his CAP.

Matty is getting a huge contract regardless is my thinking. So is Marner haha but we will have basically the entire core together for 5 seasons starting next season with exception to the expansion draft in 2020.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
LMAO

Over a ppg and on pace for 50 goals. "Im pretty disappointed with his season so far". What were you expecting? 150 points with 100 goals? Lol

I don't understand why people are so incapable of looking things in context. Scoring is up across the league this year and 1.03 PPG now puts JT 42nd in the league the top ten are at 1.32 or above. I also don't thing his 16.7 s% isn't sustainable considering his career is closer to 12%.

But man does he battle hard in the corners! :help:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Nobody questions connors speed, nobody i know anyway:)) but for game breaking ability its pretty even from what i see. Hitch is already lobbying for more calls for players hooking McDavid and getting away with it lol. If they start calling more hooks as i suspect, both Auston and Connor will be virtually impossible to restrain.

Matthews should play and could play more when required.

Connors on his way to his 3rd straight 100 point season. It's not even right now. He's in a league of his own in this sport right now. Matthews is in a group of elite talent that can do amazing things themselves but none are on the same level as Connor.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
I’d actually like to see him with Mango and Kappy. I would be interested to see him back running a line again. Marner takes all the touches so it’s hard to see Tavares showcase himself. It’s like when Willy plays with Matthews. Matthews becomes the finisher and Willy lugs the puck around and creates holes in the defence. Regardless it’s hard to complain with a 50 goal and ppg pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad