John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.

When I drop a pile of $#!t like this, I usually flush right afterwards....

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Tough dropping a hot take like this and then the guy scores 10 points in the next 5 games. Its a long season. He could be worse in the second half but he could also be better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hope Marner surpasses McDavid in points tonight via a ton of John Tavares goals on the Islanders.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
JT has been underwhelming so far this season. Playing with Marner I thought he'd be dominant but Marner is the one caring that line similar to how Marner carried Kadri last season. At 11 million for the next 7 years we aren't getting much bang for our buck and created a cap nightmare. All summer long I heard how the bad players he played with on the Island held his point totals down from superstar status but that seems to be a fallacy now. I'm not going to lie I'm disappointed with his start in Toronto. And before people start telling me I'm crazy keep in mind he's the second highest paid in the league and sits 33rd in league scoring, 15 points behind McDavid, 19 points behind MacKinnon playing with one of the best RW in the league.

Third in the league in goals, tied for fifteenth in points. Yep, you're right, total waste of money. And look what he's done to their cap situation. Those extremely intelligent and highly paid people the Leafs employ to figure out the cap ain't got nothing on you eh?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Tavares has risen his game since my first post all except against the Isles which is just one game but it is indicative of team problem of not being able to raise their play in big games. But I’m sure there will be excuses made for the team. I reacted too soon to Tavares and have been proven wrong (thankfully). In the end Tavares has been great but he can’t do it on his own. Matthews, Rielly and Nylander needs to start stepping up in big games if this team wants to win a cup.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
JT was huge last night in a big show me game against another contender! Well worth the 11 mil! He's really gotten us over the hump.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Crazy to think how little JT is being talked about in the rocket conversation, 27 goals and only 3 back from Ovi. What a story line that would be if he ended up winning that trophy.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
JT was huge last night in a big show me game against another contender! Well worth the 11 mil! He's really gotten us over the hump.
Bozak is in St. Louis. If you miss him, you can watch his games there.
Tavares continues to be amazing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Crazy to think how little JT is being talked about in the rocket conversation, 27 goals and only 3 back from Ovi. What a story line that would be if he ended up winning that trophy.
Yep, great to see a UFA contract working out so well.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Really impressed with his understanding of the game. Babcock post game yesterday was talking about how we played into their hands third period, lacked patience and forced things. Then I heard JT's scrum and he mentioned the Leafs need to learn to take what was available against a tight team and be patient with their attack. He mirrored what the coach said, he gets it.

I can't wait to see him in the playoffs, we will see another level I predict. He's built for tight hockey.

Reactions: RLF

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Really impressed with his understanding of the game. Babcock post game yesterday was talking about how we played into their hands third period, lacked patience and forced things. Then I heard JT's scrum and he mentioned the Leafs need to learn to take what was available against a tight team and be patient with their attack. He mirrored what the coach said, he gets it.

I can't wait to see him in the playoffs, we will see another level I predict. He's built for tight hockey.

Yup it's like the Leafs think they can score a few goals in a shift instead of chipping away at good teams like Nash

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I really think you’ll see Tavares follow the Yzerman/Shanahan/Blake etc...path into upper management after his playing career is over.

He’ll be a senior executive for the Leafs one day.

Reactions: beer123

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
He's a star. Leafs have 3 of the leagues best with a fine supporting cast up front. Their Achilles heel is defense and I'm not sold on the goalie.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He's a star. Leafs have 3 of the leagues best with a fine supporting cast up front. Their Achilles heel is defense and I'm not sold on the goalie.

Freddy is #1 sv percentage for tenders with 25+gs ,#2 in wins (#1 has 8 more GP)

#4 Gaa with 25+ GS,,

the team is #7 GAPG , using 2 weak pack ups.

so i am struggling to see the issue with the D and tender.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
LOL is this guy for real? Unbelievable. JT's one of the league's most consistent players this season and leads the league in Goals/60 minutes at 5v5.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad