John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'd like to know how JT is defensively with and without Okposo. Johnny is no defensive whiz, but I suspect KO is a major contributor in making him look worse defensively - via eye test or through the stats.

KO's ability to turn the puck over high in the offensive zone while JT and the LW'er are down low is amazing.

I get the feeling the perfect solution is to age Barzal and Beauvillier 5 years.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Okposo and Nielsen are both deserving. And we suck 3v3 because our coach is a loser who plays for the shootout.

There's only 6 forwards per division. I like Nielsen, but in no way he's one of the best 6 forwards in the division. Even Okposo is on the lower end of that list.

BroadwayJay*

There's only 6 forwards per division. I like Nielsen, but in no way he's one of the best 6 forwards in the division. Even Okposo is on the lower end of that list.

Klingberg should be going, but it looks like they had to have some strong NSH representation and after that they HAD to get someone in from WPG.

Not fair to Klingberg, who really deserves it; but it is just the dumbass ASG anyway. Does any of it matter? The skills competition is fun, the game is idiotic.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=796222

The National Hockey League announced today that John Tavares has been selected to represent the New York Islanders at the 2016 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend, taking place from January 30-31 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, TN.

Tavares, 25, will appear in his third consecutive NHL All-Star game. He scored four goals for Team Toews at least year’s event in Columbus, OH, tying an NHL All-Star Game record as the sixth player ever to score four.

The Islanders selected Tavares with the first overall pick in the 2009 NHL Draft. The Oakville, ON, native currently leads the Islanders in goals (16) and is second in points (29).

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Malkin doesn't play on the Capitals... And I think they're more deserving than Backstrom.

Malkin does not play for the Caps, this is true, but I was listing the three players that could potentially be replaced to give the Islanders another representative. But what is your rationale for one of these two over Backstrom? He's better than both of them offensively, which is generally the focus of the ASG. And even if we include defensive play, he's way better than Okposo and more or less on Nielsen's level.

The only person that Okposo could possibly replace would be Tavares, but obviously the league wants the bigger name at the ASG.

I would agree with this.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Malkin does not play for the Caps, this is true, but I was listing the three players that could potentially be replaced to give the Islanders another representative. But what is your rationale for one of these two over Backstrom? He's better than both of them offensively, which is generally the focus of the ASG. And even if we include defensive play, he's way better than Okposo and more or less on Nielsen's level.

I would agree with this.

I don't think he's better than Okposo offensively. Backstrom is slightly under a PPG as a #1 center with the best pure goal scorer since Bossy on his wing. That's not particularly impressive. Okposo does more with less, but that's of course my opinion.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Not that it affects our representation, but Florida has three All-Stars.

You also know SOMEONE is getting injured before the game. Then it's Jesus Greiss to Nashville!

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
They need to make it like the Pro Bowl. Don't guarantee at least one player from each team. Only team that should have a guaranteed roster spot is the host city after that just take the best players.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
They need to make it like the Pro Bowl. Don't guarantee at least one player from each team. Only team that should have a guaranteed roster spot is the host city after that just take the best players.

I think they should take the lowest point scorers, plus/minus D and GAA goalies and have them play for their major league spots. The team that loses, each player goes to the AHL.

Who wouldn't watch that?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think he's better than Okposo offensively. Backstrom is slightly under a PPG as a #1 center with the best pure goal scorer since Bossy on his wing. That's not particularly impressive. Okposo does more with less, but that's of course my opinion.

Fair enough. I still disagree, since Okposo's never scored at a higher pace even when playing with Tavares, but I appreciate you providing your rationale. But if this is the basis, then Cammalleri is more deserving than Okposo anyway.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I still think that a Europe vs North America format would be best. I know they tried it before which means they likely never will again but IMO if done right, this can be very cool. And to be honest, I'd rather watch that than Team Leftover Europe vs Team North American Young Gunz which is what we'll see in the next "World Cup."

Maybe do two games in 2 different cities? Take the aggregate score to determine winner? Or maybe do it in Europe some years? Again, if done right, I think this can be a big event not unlike the Ryder Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad