Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Man, if JT comes for about 10m or so we need to move one of the big 3 likely for some futures. Maybe Marleau will go back to SJ for a 2nd and 3rd or so.
That actually isnt true. We could squeeze them all under the cap but we wouldnt be able to add that top 4 D man.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The honeymoon is over. They need to make it out of the first round this upcoming year or it will be a failure. They’ve gains their playoff experience now it’s time to surpass what they’ve already done
I agree they need to make it out of the 1st round but this past year they shouldn't have had to play against Boston. Having like 105 points and having to play a team with more points than you is just insane.

Jun 27, 2005
As well if the board wants the Leafs to pursue him they will. Direction goes downward. Permission is sought above.

Remember Shanny sought and got permission to tear down the team after an assessment period. As that was a business decision more that just a hockey decision. Point being he needed permission.

A lot you guys don't seem to understand how businesses work.
The board is governed by a constitution. That document may or may not say that the board must approve decisions in excess of $75M.
Shanahan has a contract, it may or may not say all hockey decisions are his alone.
Dubas has a contract it may or may not say that player personal decisions are his alone.
We don't know what these documents contain, stop pretending that you do.

Reactions: al secord

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The board is governed by a constitution. That document may or may not say that the board must approve decisions in excess of $75M.
Shanahan has a contract, it may or may not say all hockey decisions are his alone.
Dubas has a contract it may or may not say that player personal decisions are his alone.

The board would absolutely have to approve any contracts in the $75M range.

JT to Toronto is a real possibility but if it happens you can forget about signing a #1D man like Doughty next year.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I think the Leafs need JT way more than a guy like Doughty.

The D-core certainly needs work, but it doesn't mean they need someone like Doughty. They need to add size and toughness back there. That's something they can find without spending too much money on a flashy point-producing defenseman. No more relying on Gardiner so much, get some big stay-at-home types who can long minutes. They can be pricey as well, but not nearly as pricey as a guy like Doughty.

JT, on the other hand, gives them a one-two punch at center to put the Leafs in the same category as Pit, Was, etc. It's a major upgrade over Matthews-Kadri, or Matthews-Nylander as your top two centres. IMO, it launches them into the conversation of Stanley Cup contender. Getting Doughty or Carlson instead of JT doesn't do that, IMO.

Let Shanny reel in JT, and let Dubas work his analytical magic to find a gem or two on D who is not on his last legs like Hainsey was.

Reactions: diceman934

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I agree they need to make it out of the 1st round but this past year they shouldn't have had to play against Boston. Having like 105 points and having to play a team with more points than you is just insane.
the leafs were gonna have to beat a good team eventually if they wanted to go to the cup finals. its not insane at all

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
But the decision will be Dubas' first... that's my point. If Dubas doesn't want Tavares for whatever reason, Shanahan will not make him sign him because that's his job to make these decisions. Again, you assume he doesn't have the authority to make the decisions of a GM. He will have the same title Lamoriello did and he will make his own decisions accordingly.

There are so many things that comes into making a big signing or even a big trade like this. Shanahan won't be the one getting credit or the blame, trust me.

This in my mind is an academic argument. If there is anyone in the leaf organization not in favor of signing JT (if there is a possibility), they should be fired.
If he signs with a different team (not NYI or leafs) for McDavid money, there is no need for an explanation. If he signs with a different team @$10.5MM, there will be some explaining to do. Was it JT or the leafs?
If Dubas made the decision, he will have to pay the price of the criticism. Many many people will label him crap and the honeymoon is over. He will be gone unless the leafs can win the cup in the next 3 years.
If it is Shanny's decision, he will stand up and deflect the criticism from his new GM. He will pay the ultimate price if he is wrong.
Doing nothing in this market is suicide.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This in my mind is an academic argument. If there is anyone in the leaf organization not in favor of signing JT (if there is a possibility), they should be fired.
If he signs with a different team (not NYI or leafs) for McDavid money, there is no need for an explanation. If he signs with a different team @$10.5MM, there will be some explaining to do. Was it JT or the leafs?
If Dubas made the decision, he will have to pay the price of the criticism. Many many people will label him crap and the honeymoon is over. He will be gone unless the leafs can win the cup in the next 3 years.
If it is Shanny's decision, he will stand up and deflect the criticism from his new GM. He will pay the ultimate price if he is wrong.
Doing nothing in this market is suicide.
Should also be pointed out that if he balks at the contract and it turns out he's was right to do so, no one and I mean NO ONE will come back in a few years and say they were wrong and he was right.
GM's have to suffer slings and arrows from time to time. It's their job to do what's right, not what's popular. So who cares what's said the days/weeks/months after. It's in the years after that should matter.

Reactions: al secord

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We sign Tavares we are a legit cup contender, it's that simple. Close your eyes and picture Marner or Nylander as his wing man, oh I see Lord Stanley:nod::nod:

Reactions: diceman934

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think the Leafs need JT way more than a guy like Doughty.

The D-core certainly needs work, but it doesn't mean they need someone like Doughty. They need to add size and toughness back there. That's something they can find without spending too much money on a flashy point-producing defenseman. No more relying on Gardiner so much, get some big stay-at-home types who can long minutes. They can be pricey as well, but not nearly as pricey as a guy like Doughty.

JT, on the other hand, gives them a one-two punch at center to put the Leafs in the same category as Pit, Was, etc. It's a major upgrade over Matthews-Kadri, or Matthews-Nylander as your top two centres. IMO, it launches them into the conversation of Stanley Cup contender. Getting Doughty or Carlson instead of JT doesn't do that, IMO.

Let Shanny reel in JT, and let Dubas work his analytical magic to find a gem or two on D who is not on his last legs like Hainsey was.
IMO the Leafs need a vet who is a core player.
No offense to Bozak,JVR,Polak vet types but they just don't cut it. Marleau is good but he's a secondary piece at 38 years old now. I expect him to provide support but not lead the charge all the time.
It's a shame that Matthews/Marner/Nylander aren't coming in behind a Sundin/Roberts/etc.
We don't have a Bergeron or Chara.
It's difficult because we didn't have a team before we had a team. Tavares could be just that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Who is pretending that i do know what is in the contacts of Shanny or Dubas. What I do know is that a decision to sign a player like J.T. is not going to be made at the GM level as that is simply foolish to think that.

What I know for a fact is that Shanny needed to get permission from the Board to tear down the team shortly after he arrived as he himself said so. So there is permission needed for important decisions and signing s player for a 7 year deal that will pay him over 75m over those 7 years is a decision that goes above the GM and quite possible the president as well.

As well if the board decides that they want them to sign J.T. they attempt to do so. As direction for any business aways comes from above.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nope.
Keep building. Another year anyway. We have kids pushing up. Stay the course.
We have no one pushing up that can come close to what J.T. can provide and at a cost of only cap hit. That is also part of any rebuilding process as you improve your team by drafting, trading and signing key players when they become available.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
my only concern is whether JT is a :

• Gud Pro
  • Likes Country Music
  • Hunting channel

and whether his ego is "relatively speaking" smaller than "The Man" running the show

:sarcasm:

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad