Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part V (Mod Warning in OP)

Does JT stay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Well that tweet by Brooks pretty much confirms it, JT is not signing before the interview period and will at the very least be talking to 5 or so teams. You have to think after all the talk this week about him having signed and the "good news" Gross was referring to, that JT was not impressed by what has transpired the past two days. This weekend has turned into a major buzz kill after the great stuff of the past month.
We really needed to make something happen this weekend. Right now our team is technically worse than last year, same defense and Greiss as the starting goalie. Without concrete proof of anything actually already done to improve the team, why would JT sign?
If JT leaves, I dont see how anyone can be so happy because of a couple of good draft picks that will do nothing for this team for 3-5 years.
I really hope this does not turn out to be basically another Garth Snow like offseason, we are trying to make trades at draft, nothing happens. We are in the mix for top FA, then if nothing happens, how is this any different than a typical Garth Snow offseason?

We did not get Kovy, we did not get Grubauer, really what has changed on the ice to give JT a reason to stay? Be honest.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
This was a no brainer move for JT... you’ve waited this long, might as well see what they have to offer. At worst, you can use the offers as leverage

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Well that tweet by Brooks pretty much confirms it, JT is not signing before the interview period and will at the very least be talking to 5 or so teams. You have to think after all the talk this week about him having signed and the "good news" Gross was referring to, that JT was not impressed by what has transpired the past two days. This weekend has turned into a major buzz kill after the great stuff of the past month.
We really needed to make something happen this weekend. Right now our team is technically worse than last year, same defense and Greiss as the starting goalie. Without concrete proof of anything actually already done to improve the team, why would JT sign?
If JT leaves, I dont see how anyone can be so happy because of a couple of good draft picks that will do nothing for this team for 3-5 years.
I really hope this does not turn out to be basically another Garth Snow like offseason, we are trying to make trades at draft, nothing happens. We are in the mix for top FA, then if nothing happens, how is this any different than a typical Garth Snow offseason?

We did not get Kovy, we did not get Grubauer, really what has changed on the ice to give JT a reason to stay? Be honest.

You wanted to trade pick 11/12 for Grubaeur? Because thats the move they missed out on.

Go ahead and trade Barzal for Duchene while you're at it. NOBODY else got traded. Give me a break after awhile. This franchise has catered their entire past year around Tavares, if he does not want to stay then guess what? Odds are bringing Jeff Skinner and Grubaeur in for vast overpayments were not going to make him stay anyway.

FYI they didn't even interview Kovy..

Reactions: MattBarzal

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
What leverage - he pretty much has an blank check.
It’s not just the money. If he wants to win now, he can dictate roster changes. He can dictate where they play, if he wants to play at Nassau vs Barclays. It’s a lot more than just money.

Look at how LeBron James in the nba dictated decisions in Cleveland. He consistently would sign 1 year contracts to put pressure on ownership to make him happy. Not that Tavares is that type of person, but the leverage factor is a big one.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There is no way he goes to Vancouver, Dallas, or San Jose. Its Toronto or here 95%

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
You wanted to trade pick 11/12 for Grubaeur? Because thats the move they missed out on.

Go ahead and trade Barzal for Duchene while you're at it. NOBODY else got traded. Give me a break after awhile. This franchise has catered their entire past year around Tavares, if he does not want to stay then guess what? Odds are bringing Jeff Skinner and Grubaeur in for vast overpayments were not going to make him stay anyway.

FYI they didn't even interview Kovy..
100%. Their #1 focus is Tavares. After that, I’m sure the backup plan revolves around duchene and/or Craig Anderson in Ottawa, Jeff skinner, etc. With Lou in charge, I don’t think there should be that much worry whether Tavares stays or goes. This franchise is finally in capable hands.

Reactions: MattBarzal

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Were people really thinking that he wasn't going to at least hear what other teams are offering?

He isn't a fool.

Agreed but its mostly going to be a waste of time. Look at the cap space that most of the believed contenders who might meet with him have. Its all close. Nobody will offer much off of 9.5-11.5 or so. So really he is going to find out what he inevitably already knows.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ya'll are crazy if you think Brisson was going to just let him pack up and sign with the Islanders.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
How does this listening period work? I thought I heard something that the 5 teams he chooses will all meet with him at the same place?

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Agreed but its mostly going to be a waste of time. Look at the cap space that most of the believed contenders who might meet with him have. Its all close. Nobody will offer much off of 9.5-11.5 or so. So really he is going to find out what he inevitably already knows.

I think that speaks to the type of person Tavares is. He's going to do his due diligence and then make a decision. This is what most of us expected all along.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Well just a few more days of misery. If he signs with Toronto he’s dead to me. Jersey burning and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad