Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Hearing that Tavares' contract will be bigger then Mcdavids. Thats whats taking so long. And the source isnt reliable. More of "friend of a player" kind of thing. But take it for what its worth, which is probably nothing. Just adds another angle onto the JT *********.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
In one breath JT talks about being on a cup contender, yet we hear that his next contract may be bigger than McDavid's. I think this is problematic as such a large % of the cap payroll is for one player. Crosby took less for this reason. Edm, because of McDavid's contract are now having problems looking up Draisaitl. I love Tavares and couldn't imagine him not here, but at what cost? I get all the salaries coming off the books, but in order to be a cup contender, you can't fill them with AHL'ers. To replace will cost money. Remember, this contract JT signs will be 8 years. Tough decision for the franchise if the rumour mill is true.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Again, nothing will be done if the Isles are leaving. Simple as that.

The Isles have had RFAs and UFAs resign knowing the ice conditions.

Yes I understand that may be the case, but I like I said, if they could somehow make it a legal matter- that the ice is unplayable, not up to standard, unsafe- it's possible they could force Barclays to fix the ice at Barclays, but that takes time and lawyers. I honestly don't see it happening but it's worth a try. Either way I would like to think that this is one of the issues John Tavares is trying to rectify in his contract negotations.

As for the RFAs and UFAs that resigned, they simply DO NOT hold the same sway that John Tavares has on this franchise. Simple as that. Do you really believe a franchise would be ready to dole out a 100+ million dollar contract to 1 player if that said player was NOT influential???

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Actually, since you claim to know so much about me, if you read my posts you would see I 100% agree with the bold. It's others on here that say that the bold is not true, various league sources and just unsubstantiated rumors, and JT is only waiting to allow Garth Snow the financial freedom to make other signing decisions before putting ink to paper. That, along with your philanthropic ramblings, are what I think is horse manure.

I think JT is waiting to see what direction the team is going before he decides to sign a contract. It's that decision, based on my opinion and various league sources, that is why he isn't going to extend. Currently, yes, I do think JT has lied. This isn't emotional, this is me anticipating due to his verbalized overwhelming desire to stay with the Islanders and is now not extended. To me he's already come off as two-faced. He would have had to put ink to paper in July for me to not have felt that way.

As far as whether he does end up signing ...I'll be relived if he does. I won't care about "looking silly". I won't look any sillier than folks who thought Matt Donovan would replace Mark Streit, people who thought the Isles would make the playoffs last year, people who thought Ladd would make us forget about Okposo, and any other premature tarot card reading or soothsayings.

Yes, I do believe John Tavares is not presently signing on the dotted line and that he is delaying the signing because of reasons that are not as nefarious as you suggest, because it goes in line with everything we know about him.

I don't think he is "waiting to see what direction the team is going before he decides to sign a contract" as you say, but it is more he is trying to INFLUENCE what steps management (specifically the owners) are taking to the improve the current situation regarding the Islanders. These issues may include the condition of the ice and in relation to that- where the team will finally end up playing because this obviously affects the quality of the ice sheet they will be playing on- whether that be a totally new sheet of ice or a "fixed" Barclay's ice sheet. John Tavares knows - and I agree with him- that something definitive has to happen, and happen soon, in regards to their long term residence because it's going to directly affect the quality of the ice sheet the team plays on, and it will directly affect the success of the team. This team is not going anywhere if they continue to play on bad ice.

But the end game for John Tavares will always be, exactly as he stated, an Islander for the long term.

It is the bolded part above that I find simply pessimistic, sour, and presumptuous of you. I see a #1 draft pick who was willing to do whatever it took to get this team to the next level every step of the way. Whether it be agreeing to play alongside AHL caliber line-mates earlier on in his career without complaint, or willfully accepting contracts that were millions below what he was actually worth. Everyone universally agrees that John Tavares signed a contract that was below his worth. I believe he did this for the good of the team. Yes, some players of his caliber would have left this franchise a long time ago, whether it be by sitting out the season, demanding a trade, or sulking to the media. He never did that and for that I give him the benefit of the doubt- big time.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hearing that Tavares' contract will be bigger then Mcdavids. Thats whats taking so long. And the source isnt reliable. More of "friend of a player" kind of thing. But take it for what its worth, which is probably nothing. Just adds another angle onto the JT *********.

I really respect you calling your source what it is.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Unfortunately I don't see the Isles really balking if Tavares wants a bigger deal than McDavid. Out of desperation it's probably gonna be a blank check deal when and if he decides to sign. Snow will probably just deal with the consequences later and hope the cap goes up over time.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

if this is the truth than I am guessing we are screwed, bigger than 12.5 over 8? I am pretty sure Johnny is interested in winning a cup, and if he is taking up that much payroll I am guessing the odds are slim he is going to see one on this team

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

While Tavares waits to see what happens on many fronts with the Islanders, he didn’t hesitate when asked if he feels the Islanders are legitimate Cup contenders now.

“Yeah, absolutely,†he said. “We missed the playoffs by a point after a poor start. We were about as resilient as we could’ve been — there’s not much reward for that, but I think just knowing the group we have, even after losing some good players and strong personalities that were there a long time, that we have a lot of talent and a lot of character.

“We’re right there. We’ve just got to find a way to get over the hump, figure out what it takes on a daily basis. For sure, I believe we’re a contender.â€

Snow breathes a sigh of relief, knowing he doesn't have to do any more work to upgrade the roster now. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia