Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Unless the "Interview Period" has changed, teams are allowed to contact UFAs six days in advance and RFAs 12 hours before free agency begins.

This year Vegas has a special wrinkle, they have almost 48 hours before the expansion draft to talk to UFAs and try to sign them to a contract. But if Vegas signs a player that was under team control for the 2016-17 season, that original team cannot lose another player in the expansion draft.

Stamkos got to the interview segment, but opted to re-sign with Tampa. I assume he realized Tampa was where he wanted to hang his hat and try for a championship.

So we don't need to lose our minds and fear monger about the prospect of losing JT quite yet. But it is probably important that the Isles try to land a solid player to help the overall sales pitch. If they got Duchene or a similar player, that would presumably be a big selling point.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I had a dream he re-sign for 8 years at 9.6M per, so there's that.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
What percent do you think JT91 re-signs in July?

2f784fed9e65f7cc2ef49f7290aba4de_back-gallery-for-i-like-it-alot-meme_245-301.gif

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Could resign with the team he's traded to... :naughty:

If you look at who could probably afford him/has assets to get him its really not any teams he'd probably want to sign with. I see him basically going 3-4 places if he does not stay here which would be teams that can win in the near future

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'd be shocked beyond belief if he wasn't resigned this July. not only does he like it here, but JT not remaining an Islander for at least the bulk of his prime if not his entire career, would spell certain doom for the franchise.

We barely sell tickets as it is. Who is going to see this club when Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are our 2 best veteran forwards (no offense to them, they are both really good pieces, but they're not stars).

Frankly, we need him more than he needs us. Thankfully, he doesn't seem like the type who will stick it to the isles and try to get every penny he can. Offer him a fair market value deal and he'll take it.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
At that point it would just be signing with them. Not resinging.

Yeah, but he'll be under contract with that team at the time of the trade, so technically, he'd be resigning with them. It's cool, though. According to the tweet, the Isles still have a 20% chance of signing him, so that's not too bad.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
The islanders simply have to resign this guy. That's it. Without him, this team is nearly back to square one. He knows it, the islanders know it, we know it and the entire league knows it. I'm hopeful it'll be done before the draft.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd be shocked beyond belief if he wasn't resigned this July. not only does he like it here, but JT not remaining an Islander for at least the bulk of his prime if not his entire career, would spell certain doom for the franchise.

We barely sell tickets as it is. Who is going to see this club when Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are our 2 best veteran forwards (no offense to them, they are both really good pieces, but they're not stars).

Frankly, we need him more than he needs us. Thankfully, he doesn't seem like the type who will stick it to the isles and try to get every penny he can. Offer him a fair market value deal and he'll take it.

Gosh - How many times have we heard doomsday claims around here about this franchise dying out/moving? While I think he will resign, they've survived much worse than John Taveres leaving before. As always winning cures everything and I believe having snow as GM is a bigger problem than even Tavares leaving.

In fact you should look at the relatively average team snow has assembled behind the no-brainer pick of 2009 to understand how much of a problem snow is. Even if Tavares stays another 10 years he's going to retire one day, and snow is going to have to find a way to win without him then. So far snow hasn't come close to GM'ing the Isles near a Cup with Tavares which should tell everyone what they need to know about how much of an average/poor GM he is, but sadly some people still think snow is good enough.

...For what I have no idea.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think many of our fans here are just too young and haven't lived through the REALLY bad years. JT leaving would be a gigantic kick to the nuggets.... but imagine the team traded him to LA for their 2nd best prospect and cash? That's the type of nonsense that used to be the norm around here.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
wasnt there a tweet stating he'd let isles know sometime ''this month'' -- 2 days left in may lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad