Confirmed with Link: John Tavares is your new Toronto Maple Leafs Captain!

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
He bled the blue and white dry. All that bleeds blue and white crap went out the window over the summer.
Granted I’m an outsider so I didn’t follow this as much as you guys did. But why does Marner get all this hate and Matthews doesn’t? Matthews could’ve taken a hometown discount to help the team build a sustainable winner. Just because Marner is the hometown kid he has to take the discount? All 3 decided to get paid as much as they could. All 3 should get as much “hate” as the others.

From what I remember Marner said sign me before the season or I’ll go play my best hockey and we can talk contract after. So he played great hockey and talked contract after. Maybe you all are upset about how he just let his agent and dad handle negotiations but how can you be mad at that. He’s no agent. He’s a hockey player. He pays people to work on his contract and he works on being the best player he can be.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I say John Tavares.

Though I would love Matthews or Rielly as well. Just can't go wrong. What a time to be a Leafs fan.

So let me just switch over to the GDT thread and rage about our 4th liner scratch battle.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
The only reason to delay it is name Matthews and hope the the circus dies down.

So it's 100% Matthews.
And the circus already is dying down. Besides the odd captain underpants joke on these HF boards, the situation is already going away. Matthews seemed real giddy in his interview today

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Since when? The Canes had co captains in 2017 and the sabres had co captains back with Drury and Briere.
Rule 6 – Captain and Alternate Captains
6.1 Captain - One Captain shall be appointed by each team, and he
alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any
questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the
progress of a game. He shall wear the letter “C,” approximately three
inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous
position on the front of his sweater. No co-Captains are permitted.
Either one Captain and no more than two Alternate Captains, or no
Captain and no more than three Alternate Captains are permitted (see
6.2).

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I say John Tavares.

Though I would love Matthews or Rielly as well. Just can't go wrong. What a time to be a Leafs fan.

So let me just switch over to the GDT thread and rage about our 4th liner scratch battle.

For real. So much young talent on this team right now, great times ahead.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
6.2).
I wasn’t doubting there being a rule. I was asking when this came about because as I said 2 teams in the past have done it. Maybe they were unofficial co captains but that doesn’t mean teams can’t do it. Just means they don’t have an official captain.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good way/time to announce a captain (season and home opener). Quite the extra honour for whomever it will be.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
This just in: 3 of the Leafs skate onto the ice wearing pajamas over their jerseys. The lights go dark. A few seconds later the lights come back on and jerseys are back and we have 1C and 2As. The jumbotron shows a pic from the captain's youth.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
6.2).

That's a game specific rule though, so a team could still have co-captains if one player wore the C for all road games and one player wore the C for all home games. San Jose does something similar with their alternate captains right now. But from a practical standpoint we probably won't see co-captains in the NHL since it would come across as pretty bush league.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
That's a game specific rule though, so a team could still have co-captains if one player wore the C for all road games and one player wore the C for all home games. San Jose does something similar with their alternate captains right now. But from a practical standpoint we probably won't see co-captains in the NHL since it would come across as pretty bush league.

I think it happened in Carolina with Faulk and Staal. Staal, Faulk named co-captains of Hurricanes

Reactions: Primary Assist

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'd be surprised if Goat wasn't named the captain tonight. Watching those Dickie Clune interviews, it seems pretty obvious that Goat, Kappy and Nyls are the guys to build around. Great chemistry between these fellas and Freddy seems to be a natural born leader.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
not that I doubt your thought process but would be nice to see why you arrived at the conclusion you did

Watch the videos. On YouTube.

When Matthews gets asked about it. He starts smiling like crazy and ends on how special it would be. Goes on about the great captains and history etc.

Tavares doesn’t.

I mean huge grain of salt..... but it’s either he is the joker or happy with how it turns out.

We will see. Either way he doesn’t seem to be livid.

Reactions: Nylander88 and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
not that I doubt your thought process but would be nice to see why you arrived at the conclusion you did

AM was all smiles today, looked like a kid who just got his first bike.

I think it'll be AM. Waiting this long only points to Matthews. Plus I think the other guys, Tavares and Rielly, won't change a single thing even when they're not a Captain.

But it's all speculation, at this point.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wasn’t doubting there being a rule. I was asking when this came about because as I said 2 teams in the past have done it. Maybe they were unofficial co captains but that doesn’t mean teams can’t do it. Just means they don’t have an official captain.

I believe that the rule is interpreted on a per game basis. That is, for a given game, you can dress 1 captain and 2 alternates or no captain and 3 alternates. I think, if a team wanted, they could rotate through all 18 regulars before repeating a captain. That's probably unlikely; however, teams have done the co-captain thing (for example, the Hurricanes in 2017-18). In such cases, the co-captains often alternate wearing the actual C between home and away games.

Reactions: sabresEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad