Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Leaf, Leafs win 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The problem being this is exactly how he looked down the stretch of the season and in the playoffs.

Cant move his feet anymore and is almost just a stick swinger swatting at pucks.

I hope he's good this season because we need the player that we got for the majority of last season but I dont think its crazy to be a little concerned.

He's old, slow and the league is just getting faster. He's going to fall off pretty fast at some point we better just hope its not this season.

I'd be good with him and OZ splitting third pair RD this season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Preseason not the best forum to judge vets. They don't try and they making the team.

He was brutal the back half of last season as well, I think asking if he was just gassed or if father time might be catching up with him would be a smart idea

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
someone in the last thread said leivo was his honourable mention lol. Leivo looked like dog crap again tonight. I think he's days as a leaf are numbered
That was me, wtf were you watching? He spent 90 percent of the time in their zone.

Reactions: Curt

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Looks like Clarke could be potentially be a fan favorite of potentially Tie Domi proportions either on the Rock or in the Coca Coliseum.

Reactions: diceman934

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Hainsey will be fine once the regular season starts, as long as Babs doesn't burn him out.

Older engines take longer to warm up.
Pure slack for him. Also true, he’s going to regress and it could be this year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thought the top 2 lines and the goal-tending looked good tonight. Tough to tell with Sparks if he got lucky or what though. A bunch of point blank chances just missed the net. I thought he didn't square up great on several of the chances in the slot.

Tavares, Marner, Leivo would be my 3 stars. Leivo was a solid all night but there were moments he looked a bit slow with his first step and that genuinely has me concerned that Babcock will leave him as the extra forward again this year.

Tavares was the best player on the ice by a fair amount. Such a tight game with tight sticks everywhere and he consistently managed to muscle his way into the slot and generate high quality scoring chances.

I thought Borgman had a good pace about him jumping into the rush. Even though he scored though, I don't trust him breaking it out of his own zone under pressure (especially on the forecheck)....still the same problems he had last year IMHO.

Thought Oz and Dermott both looked solid all night. Not sure why Babs benched Dermott in the 3rd. I thought Oz looked really solid though, played a bit tentative in terms of joining or starting the rush but noticeably physical out there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Our 2 actual NHL lines today were dominant.

Goalies were great, but Sparks didn't give up a goal, McIlhinney did. so advantage Sparks?

Hainsey was awful. Holl was bad. Oz was solid. Dermott was ok. an interesting night on the back end for sure.

Kadri with a terrible giveaway on the first shift of the game; don't blame Mac. Mac actually had to make more difficult saves than Sparks

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That was me, wtf were you watching? He spent 90 percent of the time in their zone.

maybe dog crap was an exaggeration. But he looked meh, didn't really look spectacular and he had some turn overs in the neutral zone in the 3rd period.

like I said, he didn't capitalize on his chances really. I'm not sure he's gonna make this team

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
maybe dog crap was an exaggeration. But he looked meh, didn't really look spectacular and he had some turn overs in the neutral zone in the 3rd period.

like I said, he didn't capitalize on his chances really. I'm not sure he's gonna make this team
He didn’t finish, either did Brown, but they were on the puck all night. I don’t think he hurt his chances at all.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
We're screwed for Marner's contract lol.

they aren't going to let it drag out like Nylander's imo. Marner will probably get his 8 mill + for 8 years. Him and Tavares together for the next 8 years is well worth it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know about Tavares. Only two goals tonight. If that is his season total, we are in trouble.

Reactions: TMLeafer

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

didnt one of your posts say you were coaching, and could only catch the third lol. so you evaluated Leivo on 1 period?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He didn’t finish, either did Brown, but they were on the puck all night. I don’t think he hurt his chances at all.

I don't think it helps that Babcock already doesn't seem to like his game. But we'll have to see how tomorrow goes. I won't be surprised if Kapanen or Johnsson moves up onto that line and Ennis plays on the fourth line. Especially if Nylander signs soon.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad