Player Discussion: John Tavares II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Very disappointed in him. He's on the back of my jersey, but got a call a spade a spade. He's been very "pedestrian" this year. Not good enough.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought he had a kid. Anyways, yeah he hasn't looked good all season, but lately the Islanders have been playing better and today I think he had his best game of the season. Hopefully the Islanders will continue their play and I think he'll get back on course.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/john-tavares-goal-drought-hits-six-games/162198564

John Tavares hasn't scored in six consecutive games, but he just missed snapping his streak in the Isles' 2-1 shootout loss to the Canucks on Sunday.

Less than four minutes into the game, Tavares fired a nasty wrister from 26 feet out that beat Ryan Miller but clanked off the post to keep JT off the board.

"The point is always big, so we'll take it," Tavares told reporters after the game. "It is what it is. Guys like me that are here to put the puck in the net, obviously it's frustrating."

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Annotated for clarity

UZhts7T.png

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
This could be a blueprint on how to be come a billionaire and I would have no idea what I'm looking at.

:laugh: The Shots For rate while JT is on the ice has recently skyrocketed. So, perhaps that's a leading indicator that JT is breaking out. It also happens to be when Grabo was added to his line; although that could just be a coincidence.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I hate to pile on...
He got caught chasing his defensive assignment on that last Goal tonight.
Was way late covering Ovi...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate to pile on...

True but everyone on that shift played bad. I believe it was CDH and Hammer on D. They were giving the caps way too much space.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
JT needs a sniper in the worst way. No surprise the top teams in the league have 1-2 offensive punches that are much more potent and intimidating than JT+KO. Pretty evident imo that KO is gonna be a goner one way or another after this season so I think we realize that the JT+KO combo will never amount to the levels of Benn+Seguin or Ovi+Backstrom. Strome's miss tonight off a gorgeous feed from Johnny is just one of the many examples of guys on this roster not cutting it with JT. Pretty crazy that until Brock took off this year that JT's arguable most prolific scorer on his line was Moulson.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sometimes I feel like the lack of talent around him in his first few years hurt his development. Obviously he's a great talent whom is one of the top scorers in the league over the past few years, but I've started to notice that he makes things harder for himself offensively and I'm sure it's as frustrating for him as it looks for me.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
JT needs a sniper in the worst way. No surprise the top teams in the league have 1-2 offensive punches that are much more potent and intimidating than JT+KO. Pretty evident imo that KO is gonna be a goner one way or another after this season so I think we realize that the JT+KO combo will never amount to the levels of Benn+Seguin or Ovi+Backstrom. Strome's miss tonight off a gorgeous feed from Johnny is just one of the many examples of guys on this roster not cutting it with JT. Pretty crazy that until Brock this year took off that JT's arguable most prolific scorer on his line was Moulson.

Exactly. Been saying this since October. We need a T Hall, M Duchene type. MDC is that type of player (sniper wise, certainly not their speed) but his arrival/potential are still very much up in the air. Need someone by the deadline to make noise this year.

If like to see them try to get Duchene or Hall for KO, MDC and a pick. Something in that range. Hard to predict KOs value being he is a FA to be.

Vanek got us a 2nd rd pick and collberg. KO is 3 years younger then Vanek (roughly same point production) and it was no secret that Vanek would not resign in MTL as he was destined for Minny. KOs value should be considered roughly a 1st rd pick.

Last edited:

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
JT needs a sniper in the worst way. No surprise the top teams in the league have 1-2 offensive punches that are much more potent and intimidating than JT+KO. Pretty evident imo that KO is gonna be a goner one way or another after this season so I think we realize that the JT+KO combo will never amount to the levels of Benn+Seguin or Ovi+Backstrom. Strome's miss tonight off a gorgeous feed from Johnny is just one of the many examples of guys on this roster not cutting it with JT. Pretty crazy that until Brock took off this year that JT's arguable most prolific scorer on his line was Moulson.

and most islanders fans said that strome was the perfect wing for tavares.......

id take moulson back in a heartbeat. at least he knew where too be. tavares knew where to find moulson and moulson knew where to be when tavares shot or passed. moulson was kind of like that guy that played in detroit......tipping in or deflecting pucks that came near him. i think his name was holmstrom.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I hate to pile on...

It's not piling on . . . it's calling JT out for the one part of his game he still hasn't figured out.

Hate to put it this simply but JT is a liability in his own defensive zone. Has been since he started and it's still the same today.

He just doesn't read the play in his zone.

Near the end of the game they flashed the Blocked Shots stats and Washington had 30 to our 14 late in the game and that was added to in the final minutes.

That's the difference in winning and losing last night . . . the desire to do WHAT IS NECESSARY to win. Gretzky always tells the story of the 1983 final and how the Oilers finally figured out how to win . . . when they walked by the isles dressing room and they were all black and blue when undressed. That's when the oiles figured it out.

When Ovechkin got that open shot, what did JT do? Lifted his body up and let the shot go through.

That's the difference people.

Imagine the difference in attitude going forward if JT slides down and gets a piece of it and the Isles pull it out in OT?? You want to win?

PAY THE PRICE.

You're the leader of the team . . .

Now act like it.

ON the ice, where it most counts.

Until he shows he's also willing to do it we will never reach our potential. Because everyone follows his lead. This team has all the skill it needs to win in this league.

It does not have the mental toughness to win in the playoffs.

And while I cringe with this coaching staff too this is not on them, the players need to take a good look in the mirror and really question themselves on this part of being a PROFESSIONAL.

BroadwayJay*

The extra blocked shots are because we spent most of the game in their zone.

You can't block a shot that doesn't get taken.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Strome and Nelson blew this game. Strome missed the net with a shot that turned into a goal. During Washington's second goal Nelson turned the puck over and not rushing to back check on the tap in goal. Instead he was turning around to go back on offense without the Islanders controlling the puck. On the third goal miscommunication between JT and the defenseman on who to cover behind the net. This left Ovechkin open for a split second and that is all it takes. JT could hace slid or the defenseman could have stayed with Ovechkin instead of taking a certain space. I think this approach works great on the PK, but a better system is needed and players need to take more accountability for their mistakes. The defense cannot fix lack of back checking and offensive minded players with stones in their brain at times.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's not piling on . . . it's calling JT out for the one part of his game he still hasn't figured out.

Hate to put it this simply but JT is a liability in his own defensive zone. Has been since he started and it's still the same today.

He just doesn't read the play in his zone.

He doesn't need to, just go to the ****ing slot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad