John Tavares - Generational UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Stamkos only met with TOR. Tavares has teams flying to LA setting up sales pitch meetings and presentations
Stamkos absolutely received offers from more teams. Just because teams are making presentations does not currently make this unprecedented. If he leaves then yes it is a very unique situation, but for all anyone knows he is meeting to explore possibilities and is gaining more leverage in asking for a larger contract from NYI. We just don't know what he is doing or what he is going to do.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I Like how the OP criticizes GMs for “handing out stupid contracts”, yet in the same post advocates paying a player max, or close to max contract who isn’t worth that money now, and definitely won’t be worth that money towards the end of their contract.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Stamkos didn't make it to July 1st. This is on the assumption that Tavares makes it there which would be unprecedented
Correct, so currently it is not unprecedented. IF he does make it to July 1 then you are correct, and at that point I am sure there will be more people talking about it. If he goes past July 1 he is then not resigning with NYI bc he cannot get the 8th year at that point. He assuredly would resign with them before July 1 to get the 8th year. Once July 1 hits he is absolutely leaving NYI if he hasn't resigned, and at that point we can wave the unprecedented flag

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Stamkos absolutely received offers from more teams. Just because teams are making presentations does not currently make this unprecedented. If he leaves then yes it is a very unique situation, but for all anyone knows he is meeting to explore possibilities and is gaining more leverage in asking for a larger contract from NYI. We just don't know what he is doing or what he is going to do.

That’s the thing, he doesn’t need leverage because the islanders would most likely give him the best contract he could get that would keep him from walking. The isles aren’t playing hardball with him at all

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That’s the thing, he doesn’t need leverage because the islanders would most likely give him the best contract he could get that would keep him from walking. The isles aren’t playing hardball with him at all
There is always something more one can gain in a contract negotiation, they are not always simply about $$ and years. It could be structure, signing bonuses, lockout protection, insurances, terms of restrictions on his non-hockey activities, hotel accommodations, and a whole host of other stuff. For example, do we know for fact NYI is willing to give him X amount in an offer and years, and there is no conflict over the bonuses to ensure he is being paid if there is another lockout? JT Miller's contract lacks such bonuses, but they became the norm prior to the last lockout. That is a perfect example of a leverage situation if another team is willing to give him a bonus filled contract that is essentially lockout proof.

We can speculate all we want, but there is a reason there is so much uncertainly and that's bc no one knows what he is actually going to do, and I am not sure he even knows yet. If he did know he was leaving NYI, I am sure it would be leaking out already.

Reactions: SI90

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I Like how the OP criticizes GMs for “handing out stupid contracts”, yet in the same post advocates paying a player max, or close to max contract who isn’t worth that money now, and definitely won’t be worth that money towards the end of their contract.

handing out max contracts to elite players is not stupid. It is stupid if you overpay your rfas coming off elcs because other teams aren't doing it

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
handing out max contracts to elite players is not stupid. It is stupid if you overpay your rfas coming off elcs because other teams aren't doing it

It is when said player isn’t worth the money, and/or said player is likely to decline at some point during the contract.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Is there a 35 year old player worth $12million a year?
34?

With that kind of term, they better win a cup in a year or two.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's one of the best possible free agents in recent memory. I agree with what he's doing in meeting with the different teams and I think come July 1 he'll be in a different uniform.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

2012 60-70.2M
Ryan Suter
13 year 98M
Zach Parise 13 year 98M

That's crazy that the Wild were able to add an elite #1W and an elite#1D as UFAs in the same offseason and they still haven't been able to accomplish anything.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Hes one of the best players ever considering how poor his skating is. No question if that was different he would be on a Crosby tier of players, he almost makes it there but that has always been a flaw in his game since junior. Despite this he still has amazing numbers and is easily a top 10 talent, top 15 maybe if you are feeling extra critical.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
That's crazy that the Wild were able to add an elite #1W and an elite#1D as UFAs in the same offseason and they still haven't been able to accomplish anything.

yeah I'm sure they are a better team without Suter and Parise

/s

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
It is when said player isn’t worth the money, and/or said player is likely to decline at some point during the contract.

Tavares is 27, a max contract brings him to 34.

Rick Nash is currently 34. Bouwmeester 34. I wonder what the salary cap will be in 2025?

Would you take 5 1st round picks for your Jack Eichel? No. You keep Eichel's 8 year 80M. Now, Toronto Boston Tampa etc are gunning to get a player on the level of Eichel (currently) without having to win a lottery, give up 5 1st rounders, or have a historically crap season. I think I know which deal is good.

Tavares 12-14M + putting up with the final 2 years >>> tanking and hoping you win the lottery to draft an Eichel level player

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
4 years is a good sample size. Tavares isn't even a PPG player in that time. Way over rated . Who ever pays him that crazy money will regret by year 3. You pay that kind of money for 100 point players not sub ppg players

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Much like NFL QBs, elite players, namely centres, almost never hit the free agent market.

I can't even remember the last time an elite #1 C was a UFA (No, Richards was not elite/as good as JT when he became a free agent)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Much like NFL QBs, elite players, namely centres, almost never hit the free agent market.

I can't even remember the last time an elite #1 C was a UFA (No, Richards was not elite/as good as JT when he became a free agent)
Coincidentally Richards put up more points that prior season that JT ever has
And the Season he hit FA if not for an injury likely again out produced JT

Last edited:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
He can and likely will still sign with NY. I really don't think many appreciate how much that extra year is worth I'll use max number which he's not worth, but proves the point. So 15.9m is 20% and max At 7 years that's 111.3m over the life of the contract So if NY offers 14m at 8 years it's 112m over that time
Remember we're talking guaranteed money.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Coincidentally scoring was higher then.
So lets entertain this as some excuse
Average scoring this year was 2.97 per game
in 09-10 2.84 (91p for Richards)
in 10-11 2.79 (Richards UFA)

But lets go back a few more years
17-18 is 2.97
16-17 is 2.77
15-16 is 2.71
14-15 is 2.73
13-14 is 2.74
12-13 is 2.73
11-12 is 2.72

So 1 quite a bit higher 1 slightly lower, yet still nothing... Weird

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Ok in my defence I do not watch the Islanders unless they play the Habs, Stars or Flames but is he really Sid calibre or does he just look really, really good because of the deficiencies on the Islanders? Genuine question, like I said I don’t see him often enough to form an opinion. What outstanding thing have I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad