John Tavares - Generational UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
title updated for accuracy

wow, congrats on whichever team signs him.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I wonder what 2015-16 John Tavares would have fetched coming off a clutch playoff performance (11 pt 11 games, and killed my bandwagoned Panthers)

#4-#5 best center on nearly all lists (behind Crosby Malkin McDavid and tied with Bergeron), at a 6M cap hit for 2 seasons

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
if Trotz has some of Gallant's magic, and he might I can see the Islanders pulling a Vegas and playing 150% Hoffman style

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Toews never scored 35 goals or even 80 points. Has one season above 70 points.

Kopitar scored 35 goals for the first time in his career this year and hit 90 points for the first time, only one other year hitting 80 points.
Toews and Kopitar have never won a cup after signing those deals

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
I can't believe he actually made it to UFA...very unlike the usual boring NHL routine. Will be interesting to see where he ends up but whoever gets him will get an elite player with a work ethic and attitude that will likely make him effective for the majority of his contract.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
His girlfriend and both their families are in Toronto, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Marleau and company are in Toronto, Babcock is in Toronto...

If the reports are true that he is signing with one of the teams he met it seems like the Leafs make the most sense.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in San Jose though, if he wants to be out of the lime light where he can walk downtown after a brutal season/game and have nobody recognize his face SJ is the place for him, if he wants to reach levels of greatness and be idolized as a god, Toronto is for him...and might I add I believe Toronto is more of a contender these days + moving forward than the Sharks are, might be bias speaking but I think its a very arguable reality. I mean a 1-2 punch of Matthews-Tavares down the middle?? excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
His girlfriend and both their families are in Toronto, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Marleau and company are in Toronto, Babcock is in Toronto...

If the reports are true that he is signing with one of the teams he met it seems like the Leafs make the most sense.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in San Jose though, if he wants to be out of the lime light where he can walk downtown after a brutal season/game and have nobody recognize his face SJ is the place for him, if he wants to reach levels of greatness and be idolized as a god, Toronto is for him...and might I add I believe Toronto is more of a contender these days + moving forward than the Sharks are, might be bias speaking but I think its a very arguable reality. I mean a 1-2 punch of Matthews-Tavares down the middle?? excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

you all underestimate san jose and its fans. I guarantee you plenty of people would recognize JT2 walking down the street. in a recent players tribune article, evander kane talked about how crowds of people were coming up to him and timo meier while walking down santana row...timo f***ing meier. hell, most sharks' fans would recognize kyle mclaren if he walked downtown.

we love hockey

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
John Tavares is not a generational talent. He's an excellent player, but not on the level of the true generational talents in the league today.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Lol at ppl thinking nyi is done with him

He might just sign with nyi in a few hours

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah not all guys want to be close to family and friends though either. Too many people bugging for tickets and shit like that. I also find it hilarious how you act like San Jose is a shit place to play hockey in a round about way. He can only reach levels of greatness in Toronto? How about being the guy that leads a cupless expansion team to a championship when Thornton Marleau etc couldnt and had a lot of choking moments in the playoffs? Toronto media wont be all over him like they would if he was a Leaf, but the hockey world would recognize that as something extraordinary.

Also San Jose is an example of a team that adding Tavares would do the same thing as the Leafs (theyre pretty even calibre teams). You can just as easily say Tavares Pavelski down the middle with Burns feeding them the puck?? Drool.

Toronto would be a smart team for him to go to based on their contender window and everything, but its not the only team that makes sense

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I wonder what 2015-16 John Tavares would have fetched coming off a clutch playoff performance (11 pt 11 games, and killed my bandwagoned Panthers)

#4-#5 best center on nearly all lists (behind Crosby Malkin McDavid and tied with Bergeron), at a 6M cap hit for 2 seasons
He was a ghost in the Tampa series. 2 points in 5 games.

He beat up on the Panthers.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Ahaa. Generational players now are Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, [add here few lesser borderline legends, and pioneering figures of your choice], and Tavares - but only and only if being UFA and signing to Leafs. :sarcasm:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ahaa. Generational players now are Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, [add here few lesser borderline legends, and pioneering figures of your choice], and Tavares - but only and only if being UFA and signing to Leafs. :sarcasm:

Generational UFA as is one player of this caliber hits UFA in a generation ya dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad