John Tavares appreciation thread

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure what's going on in Tavares' head right now. Certainly he's trying to get our of his funk. Perhaps "holding the stick too tight" as they say.

I must say though Keefe stacking the top line was a bizarre move to say the least. It did nothing for: winning, confidence, Tavares, Matthews, etc. What was it? How do you get the 2nd line going when you throw it out of whack like that?

TOR has had a good start to the season. If the team was losing then you might consider a shake up. Tavares - Nylander need to be clicking near the end of the season. They looked their best when Simmonds was on their line. Hopefully that will change.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Not worried. Nylander has been struggling, too. Neither is to blame for the other guy, but they're clearly both not clicking.

If our #1 line with Matthews and Marner weren't on fire, then the coach would have blended the lines by now. Make a change to get one or both of them going. But you can't break up that top duo right now. And neither of Tavares/Nylander deserve to be dropped to line 3.

So they've being given time to figure it out. I'm OK with that. Tavares and Nylander will both be fine shortly.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JT came here took a lot of grief and he didn't cost us any assets. Hope he snaps out of it soon but I will be thankful for the next 5 years regardless.

Everyone loves the John Tavares homecoming storyline but it’s in his hands to make sure it’s a happily ever after ending.

In the end, the signing does cost assets. The $11 million cap space locked into his deal meant walking away from all of Gardiner, JVR and Bozak in the short term, and purchase power on the free agent and trade markets. We are well aware of the hidden costs and willing to live with it but JT needs to deliver on the responsibilities the Leafs organization have entrusted him with.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Everyone loves the John Tavares homecoming storyline but it’s in his hands to make sure it’s a happily ever after ending.

In the end, the signing does cost assets. The $11 million cap space locked into his deal meant walking away from all of Gardiner, JVR and Bozak in the short term, and purchase power on the free agent and trade markets. We are well aware of the hidden costs and willing to live with it but JT needs to deliver on the responsibilities the Leafs organization have entrusted him with.
The biggest mistake in the Tavares deal was not maximizing the excess asset it created in Kadri. That return was terrible. And before people say Kadri turned into Barrie who turned into Brodie, we could have just gotten pure futures for him and had that cap-space.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
JT struggles and people react negatively.

AM and MM have great success and people react positively.

It’s almost like there’s a direct connection between what they see on the ice and their opinions!

A little early to jump ship and talk about trading JT and how horrible the contract will be.
But I guess not for some - slumps cannot be tolerated

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
JT will figure it out no doubt ... he is getting his chances but he is not converting them right now ... I am more worried about Willy as he looks like he does not give a sh*t again ... Willy is our biggest issue right now ... massive massive talent maybe our most talented guy but he seems to be floating around again except for game 1 ... Willy if you reading man you know me ... "bust da move" tonight from da big guy ... always got your back

Reactions: Confucius

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A little early to jump ship and talk about trading JT and how horrible the contract will be.
But I guess not for some - slumps cannot be tolerated

Well, we are here for nothing but idle speculation anyway, so there’s no reason not to discuss all angles, options and eventualities.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
In leafs nation people really like to jump the gun. A month of crappy play and it’s time to chase the guy out of town. Just wait until 2 years from now when he’s likely to be looking really bad; it’s going to be a legendary hate-fest.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he had a sub par season last year and has looked worse this year , lucky for him M&M have carried us so far this year because if they didn't he'd be really getting roasted

also not a fan of benching Willie for struggling while JT take gets promoted to the top line for playing just as poorly if not worse

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In leafs nation people really like to jump the gun. A month of crappy play and it’s time to chase the guy out of town. Just wait until 2 years from now when he’s likely to be looking really bad; it’s going to be a legendary hate-fest.

He wasn’t strong last year either. Lots of built in explanations and injuries, and this year was supposed to be his bounce back. People just don’t pay attention because his stats line is usually respectable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad