John Scott

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
anyone know how he looks so far in training camp? is he really that bad of a skater?

I can say from having seen him around the league that yes, he is a bad skater. It's the one thing holding him back the most, because he has a pretty decent awareness of what he should be doing and where he should be.

WYFR

StanleyCupSabres
Nov 3, 2011
North Carolina
completely unrelated but just look at this guy!

Attachments

• scott & gerbe.jpg
    scott & gerbe.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 56

studebaker1*

Scott isn't the best skater but he knows what he should be doing and tries hard. Good for me for him to know his role too.
He's really excited about playing in Buffalo and he seems like a great guy to have in the locker room. As a Scott follower for the last few years, I'm happy he's on the team.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
He's really excited about playing in Buffalo and he seems like a great guy to have in the locker room. As a Scott follower for the last few years, I'm happy he's on the team.

I am too. I love that the Sabres were his favorite team growing up and he's a bit of a local boy, growing up only a few hours from here, and now he gets to play for them. He WANTS to be here and be a Sabre and it's always great to see players like that on your team. Seems like a really nice guy too (hoping I get to meet him soon and get an autograph signing in).

He'll be entertaining to watch. Zero offense, zero skating ability, but a mammoth and a hell of a fighter. He's never lost a fight in his career. Not used to having that kind of player on the Sabres, which will be a welcomed change. Just an all-around team guy it seems, kind of like Peters, but this guy is a proven and successful enforcer and one of the most feared players in the NHL. It's nice to have him on our side.

Love the picture of him and Gerbe. :laugh:

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I love that the Sabres were his favorite team growing up and he's a bit of a local boy, growing up only a few hours from here, and now he gets to play for them

Few hours? St. Catharines no? Less than an hour away. Maybe wrong I'm thinking of Peters.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Both he and Ott seem like great dudes, they both give very genuine interviews and it's refreshing.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Is it just me or does he look like a man-child?
But yah, I'm happy he's here. Even if he just plays his part in MAD, I'd consider him a good signing. A weapon you don't have to fire is still effective.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Few hours? St. Catharines no? Less than an hour away. Maybe wrong I'm thinking of Peters.

I'm not sure if Scott was in St. Catharines or not but I know Peters was.

Wikipedia says Scott was born in St. Catharines but the Sabres roster says he was born in Edmonton. :dunno:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure if Scott was in St. Catharines or not but I know Peters was.

Wikipedia says Scott was born in St. Catharines but the Sabres roster says he was born in Edmonton. :dunno:

He definitely grew up in St. Catharines based on articles I read when they signed him

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
completely unrelated but just look at this guy!

I'm completely getting those socks and slippers and hitting the early bird dinner special at 4pm. Those things are teeming with widowed GILFs.

Rw: Scott. If the problem is teams running your guys an you need an enforcer, why not get the very best? Still undefeated in the NHL per that site.

He brings something this team sorely has lacked since the heyday of May-Ray.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm completely getting those socks and slippers and hitting the early bird dinner special at 4pm. Those things are teeming with widowed GILFs.

Rw: Scott. If the problem is teams running your guys an you need an enforcer, why not get the very best? Still undefeated in the NHL per that site.

He brings something this team sorely has lacked since the heyday of May-Ray.

That he does

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=12928

Head coach Lindy Ruff is well aware of the importance of a guy like Scott in the Buffalo lineup, comparing him to Sabres heavyweights of the past like Larry Playfair and Rob Ray.

“We all know what John is gonna bring. He’s a real character. He’s been great in the room; he’s been great on the bench. He knows what he’s here for, and he can add the toughness that at times may be needed.”

“When you have younger players, it’s an opportunity to provide some cover for them in some tough physical buildings a lot of times,” explains Ruff. “In our case we have some younger players. It should help Marcus Foligno; it should help Pat Kaleta, and it could make Steve Ott an even tougher guy to play against because he’s got some cover behind him.”

“Everyone looks at me to kind of be the protector; the aggressive guy to help out teammates when called upon. They know I’ve got a mentality where I like to do that. I take pride in protecting my teammates, going out there and finishing something if someone is being a pest on the other team.

“I’m not going to be a second or third line guy; I know my role. I’m a fourth line guy. I don’t want to be a liability out there. I want to protect the team, keep the other team honest and play physical. Get in their zone; spend some time in their end, that’s about it.”

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

Scott was a big fan favorite in Minnesota and in the AHL with the Aeros.

His biggest issue is slow feet, which opens him to getting beat by speed. But he normally does have pretty good positioning. He actually doesn't like to fight usually, and if you ever watch his fights, you will see that he is bored/disinterested in about 90% of them. The 10% when he actually is pissed, are the times to watch out, because he is a force.

Great locker room guy, and always was a good interview. We miss him in Minnesota, but we needed more mobile D-men, and we have Kassian for our Heavyweight now.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
His presence on the bench had no deterrent effect on Hartnell.

No player will stop every idiot out there. The Sabres as a whole need to respond consistently before teams start respecting that as a part of their game.

The argument is, and many players along with Ruff have said, having Scott on the bench makes them feel braver and play tougher. That if things escalate he has their back.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's hard to judge him after just three shifts, including one in garbage time after the ENG, and no fights/deterrence.

It was nice being able to put him out there after Vanek scored the ENG. Can't say whether something would have happened out of frustration there, but we can say nothing DID happen.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
It was nice being able to put him out there after Vanek scored the ENG. Can't say whether something would have happened out of frustration there, but we can say nothing DID happen.

Thats exactly how I look at it.. Momma always says better safe then sorry....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad