The Players' Tribune: John Scott on his ASG selection

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m2 minutes ago
Scott was asked to turn over his helmet for Hall of fame.

Lmao

Cant get enough of this. This just flies in the face of every poster saying Scott was embarassing himself and should have turned this down. He was your run of the mill enforcers, about to be forgetten in history. By going to this, he gained some serious notoriety, and may even be included in the HoF in some capacity. Thats tremendous for your legacy. Nearly 95% of players would sniff the HoF, and an enforcer will have his name there

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Really hope he get's a chance to play somewhere in the league.

He was the key to making this quite possibly the best ASG/Weekend in history.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Lmao

Cant get enough of this. This just flies in the face of every poster saying Scott was embarassing himself and should have turned this down. He was your run of the mill enforcers, about to be forgetten in history. By going to this, he gained some serious notoriety, and may even be included in the HoF in some capacity. Thats tremendous for your legacy. Nearly 95% of players would sniff the HoF, and an enforcer will have his name there

Enforcers do a hell of a lot to get to the pros. They may be a dying breed but they should be remembered.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
By this time next week people won't even remember his name.

What do you mean by people? Non hockey fans? Who cares about them. John Scott was already pretty well known among hockey fans. I doubt they'll just forget him. Not to mention most people remember and love their own teams goon so if he was still in Arizona during all this he'd be a legend.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
What do you mean by people? Non hockey fans? Who cares about them. John Scott was already pretty well known among hockey fans. I doubt they'll just forget him. Not to mention most people remember and love their own teams goon so if he was still in Arizona during all this he'd be a legend.

I remember Scott from the time Lucic punched him then refused to fight him. Been a while.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Has anyone considered him to actually play defense?

Given the chance he would most likely be a blue line wrecking ball of epic proportions.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
i did say why it is stupid

he is barely in the league, and he decided to piss off his superiors, it is stupid because this decision directly influenced him being traded to another team, where he will have to play out east in canada in the ahl, and will likely never actually play for montreal

and then on top of that, he wrote this article claiming that someone from the league asked 'do you think your kids will be proud of this' or whatever

do you really think the nhl wants him saying that sort of stuff publicly? come on, when he refused to step down he was traded, i think it's pretty obvious that they will be mad about this as well, and the league has already known they have no problem trading, sending down, etc when it comes to john scott

Buddy, the bigger blunder is the NHL dissing the fans who PAY THE FREIGHT! Big Bad John is now in the hands of Danny Millions out in St.Johns. He will do fine with Danny.

gokeefe

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
I didn't give two ***** about John Scott being voted into the All Star game... just didn't care either way... but his Players Tribune article really won me over and holy **** the ASG was the best in decades and 3 on 3 was only part of it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Given the chance he would most likely be a blue line wrecking ball of epic proportions.

Here is the issue with John Scott, and this is speaking from someone who watched him in Houston and then for the Wild when he got his NHL break.

John Scott suffers from what he even said in his player tribune article: he is slow and big. Now those types of players do not make it in the NHL without a niche and that niche was to fight and be an enforcer out on the ice. He did it great and then when he started getting careless and hurting really good players he started to get a name for himself (and not in a good way) with fans and most likely GM's/Coaches. He started making the rounds to teams who needed some "grit" and "size" in order to keep their own star players out of the sights of other enforcers. But now the league has changed. You can't do that type of stuff any longer because its a much desired spot to have someone who can skate and play hockey. John Scott cannot do that at the NHL level.

The story is incredible and I am absolutely a fan of this entire thing. But lets not mince words here either though. John has been on at least 6 NHL teams: Minnesota, Chicago, New York, Buffalo, San Jose and Arizona, before this latest asshattery from the league to try to get him out of the ASG. There is a reason he's been passed around that much. And many players do not even get that many chances at his level of play. So there was something there that teams were willing to take a chance on. And it didn't work.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I didn't give two ***** about John Scott being voted into the All Star game... just didn't care either way... but his Players Tribune article really won me over and holy **** the ASG was the best in decades and 3 on 3 was only part of it.

Absolutely and they've had an immense amount of press and casual fans watching it because of him playing. It came off exactly like an everyday guy going out there and playing against the league's best. Rockyesque almost.

HShahzad

Jan 23, 2014
I really hope, Montreal gives him a chance to play at least 1 game with them. Great guy, great character. Just having him around the locker room would be great! NHL needs people like him!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Here is the issue with John Scott, and this is speaking from someone who watched him in Houston and then for the Wild when he got his NHL break.

John Scott suffers from what he even said in his player tribune article: he is slow and big. Now those types of players do not make it in the NHL without a niche and that niche was to fight and be an enforcer out on the ice. He did it great and then when he started getting careless and hurting really good players he started to get a name for himself (and not in a good way) with fans and most likely GM's/Coaches. He started making the rounds to teams who needed some "grit" and "size" in order to keep their own star players out of the sights of other enforcers. But now the league has changed. You can't do that type of stuff any longer because its a much desired spot to have someone who can skate and play hockey. John Scott cannot do that at the NHL level.

The story is incredible and I am absolutely a fan of this entire thing. But lets not mince words here either though. John has been on at least 6 NHL teams: Minnesota, Chicago, New York, Buffalo, San Jose and Arizona, before this latest asshattery from the league to try to get him out of the ASG. There is a reason he's been passed around that much. And many players do not even get that many chances at his level of play. So there was something there that teams were willing to take a chance on. And it didn't work.

big and slow is better than old and slow. He's not a misunderstood talent but there are plenty of guys who can still play in the league who are not fleet of foot. yes it makes it harder and no he;s unlikely to play 10 minutes plus a game but when he plays he plays about as well as a guy that big and that slow can play.

Lots of players have obvious liabilities, hell the habs 1st line center is like 5 foot eight, cant win and puck battles and can go multiple GAMES without a shot on net despite getting heavily sheltered minutes and power play time.

if you have a small team that can be explotied physically, getting a guy at the league minimum who will fight if need be and who generally wont make awful decisions when not fighting is something a lot of teams might appreciate. montreal should be one of them, with tinordi gone the last guy to fight was torrey mitchell right off the IR, Our captain can get ragdolled and all we can so is look to the ref and beg for relief.

I dont know if he will get another nhl contract next year, but lets not pretend that he doesnt scratch an itch.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
DGB bringing up a surprisingly good point:

Except our owners do not like it at all. They don't want him for marketing, they have made that clear. They want Domi and OEL as the players people recognize on the Coyotes. I honestly think it was them that wanted him gone, not our GM or the NHL. They wouldn't let anyone discuss it. It was vaguely mentioned like twice on our home feeds. They were pushing for votes for OEL and Domi.

I'm serious. They didn't care about anything positive coming from this. They seemed pissed it was taking away from the few stars we do have. They want Domi/OEL to be their image. I mean, I get it, but I don't entirely agree.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Dude didn't deserve to be in the ASG, but he also didn't deserve to be treated like that by the league. Couldn't be happier with the way this ended. #JohnScottMVP

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Except our owners do not like it at all. They don't want him for marketing, they have made that clear. They want Domi and OEL as the players people recognize on the Coyotes. I honestly think it was them that wanted him gone, not our GM or the NHL. They wouldn't let anyone discuss it. It was vaguely mentioned like twice on our home feeds. They were pushing for votes for OEL and Domi.

I'm serious. They didn't care about anything positive coming from this. They seemed pissed it was taking away from the few stars we do have. They want Domi/OEL to be their image. I mean, I get it, but I don't entirely agree.

It's too bad, frankly. Domi and OEL are young stars, but they are just like every other star in the league. What's the difference between Domi and Larkin? They don't stick out at all from the other stars at the ASG and would bring barely any attention to the Coyotes.

For what it's worth, I already see OEL as the face of the Yotes franchise, I don't need to see him at the ASG to know he's the best player on that team. Having Scott at the game made it more interesting that the past ASGs that were all forgettable.

Ultimately, I've had a lot of fun watching this ASG. Scott, 3vs3 and the prize money made the game watchable.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

He was pretty good for the Sharks when we tried him at D.

He gets beat out wide every time though, that's a given.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I think Arizona brass believed (probably had some assurances from the NHL) that they'd get a player in if they traded Scott. What an idiotic pissing away of a marketing opportunity for the Coyotes. They have a young exciting team, but you get people to the game any way you can.

No one in the all star game was wearing a Coyotes jersey. At least Scotts kids had them on, but it's like the Coyotes arranged for themselves to not even participate.

Is there a team in the league who would acquire Scott from Montreal purely for marketing? Frankly, I'd love to see him end the year in Nashville.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Ironic that the NHL brings up Scott's kids to dissuade him from participating in the All-Star game, and now they have something to be proud of.

The NHL is a bunch of sick ****s.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Maybe all the people pissed off about this should boycott the league to show their displeasure with everything that's been done to Scott.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad