The Players' Tribune: John Scott on his ASG selection

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
As a Wild fan, I am proud to see our big John Scott achieve greatness this NHL All Star weekend.

Hey, we ain't got much else to cheer for.

I do love that this has occurred. Good guy!

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah it seems wrong-headed of the league to try to snuff out the Scott movement. Didn't those geniuses see what kind of marketing potential there was? The fans wanted him there, big underdog story.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
i did say why it is stupid

he is barely in the league, and he decided to piss off his superiors, it is stupid because this decision directly influenced him being traded to another team, where he will have to play out east in canada in the ahl, and will likely never actually play for montreal

and then on top of that, he wrote this article claiming that someone from the league asked 'do you think your kids will be proud of this' or whatever

do you really think the nhl wants him saying that sort of stuff publicly? come on, when he refused to step down he was traded, i think it's pretty obvious that they will be mad about this as well, and the league has already known they have no problem trading, sending down, etc when it comes to john scott

Maybe the NHL needs to take a step back and take some courses on economics and marketing..

John Scott saved what is otherwise a pretty dull weekend.

I would not be watching if he was not there.

I see 3 on 3 all the time in games.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
So when someone from the NHL calls me and says, “Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?â€

I haven't followed the whole saga, I haven't voted, and I know voting Scott in was like an inside joke for the fans BUT WTF?

seriously? how the **** do you ask the guy this? I understand the league thought voting him was a circus, but **** off, how do you ask a pro hockey player that? they better come out with an official apology if they haven't already.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So when someone from the NHL calls me and says, “Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?â€

I haven't followed the whole saga, I haven't voted, and I know voting Scott in was like an inside joke for the fans BUT WTF?

seriously? how the **** do you ask the guy this? I understand the league thought voting him was a circus, but **** off, how do you ask a pro hockey player that? they better come out with an official apology if they haven't already.

Bettman was asked, said it was a non issue and that Scott was welcomed by the league.

CYA

And watch, when they flip scott the keys to his new ride, he's gonna thank the people who made it possible and the boys on everyteam who supported him.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
By this time next week people won't even remember his name.

This is such a ludicrous and pointless thought line. What people won't remember? Casual fans? Hardcore hockey fans? Internet posters? And why does any of that matter? Why should that matter? Why does that matter at all to him? What does that take away from any of this?

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Wonder if a team will make a trade for John Scott if Montreal doesn't call him up.

John Scott will probably need a fan supported campaign to be called up in MTL. HFBoards seems to be the place to start it, just saying...

Derfel*

Best thing to happen this season was that John Scott goal celebration.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Now don't get me wrong, I fully support John and I am glad for him getting there, but...aren't we actually rewarding the NHL by watching the ASG? :P

Can you imagine if this was all just PR drama in WWE style? ;)

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
By this time next week people won't even remember his name.

For me, it's not about remembering his name. His story and message is what is unique. This is a guy who knows what kind of player he is. He knows what he's supposed to do and he's proud that he was able to accomplish something through it. It's about standing proud for who you are if you are a good and honest person. His story also teaches us that stereotyping people can be a very dangerous thing. How many of us knew that he had a degree in Engineering? I know I won't be taking some fringe players for granted from now on. Some of these guys aren't just about fighting and pugilism. Some of them can add value in different ways. All in all, his story teaches us to be more open minded about people. A story that the NHL should especially learn from. Their draconian rules and politics are only surpassed by the Spanish Federation, Government and media when it comes to their blatant bias towards Real Madrid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the NHL kinda won here too, if not just by backing up into success. If the NHL would have embraced it fully, I think it would have taken away from it a bit. NHL played the bad guy ( I think they were just sticking their heals in the sand) and then it created this us vs them mentality and people got behind Scott to stick their noses up at the NHL. When they did that, people watched the game and got the gear just to stick it to them. But they still got the revenue. I think they did take a PR hit tho for how they acted (especially with their comments to Scott)

Turned out great tho

Rexy

May 2, 2012
London, Ontario
Now don't get me wrong, I fully support John and I am glad for him getting there, but...aren't we actually rewarding the NHL by watching the ASG? :P

Can you imagine if this was all just PR drama in WWE style? ;)

with the trade, I was hoping at the end of the game Scott would turn around and score on the pacific goalie, then remove his jersey to show a white Atlantic jersey underneath it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad