The Players' Tribune: John Scott on his ASG selection

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
ASG Class Act....

...not by the NHL but by John Scott throughout the ordeal but particularly prior, during and after game time.....great family, kind of big man goofy charm, articulate...Engineering Degree!...Big John became the reluctant hero but what a showing....no doubt his playing days are ending but some club should pick him up in operations to show class and character for a franchise and their young players...sorry Milbury/Roenick/unnamed NHL official who insulted Scott and by inference his beautiful family....your all *******s....

Congratulations Big John!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I really hope, Montreal gives him a chance to play at least 1 game with them. Great guy, great character. Just having him around the locker room would be great! NHL needs people like him!

I think and hope that this feel good story ends at the ASG. It should.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
...not by the NHL but by John Scott throughout the ordeal but particularly prior, during and after game time.....great family, kind of big man goofy charm, articulate...Engineering Degree!...Big John became the reluctant hero but what a showing....no doubt his playing days are ending but some club should pick him up in operations to show class and character for a franchise and their young players...sorry Milbury/Roenick/unnamed NHL official who insulted Scott and by inference his beautiful family....your all *******s....

Congratulations Big John!!!

pretty much this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
^^^^^ I wonder how much of that popularity is a result of the Coyotes pulling the crap they did. Had they gone along with it from the get-go, that might've taken some of the "underdog" out of the story.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was first thinking Arizona is the only loser in all this. Lost a great marketing chip to appease the league. But I agree with poster above, that trade added to the JS hype.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I just hope the NHL finds a way to have a couple underdogs, couple legitimate non forced good stories added every year along with the talent/skill of the best players.

I think the players should vote for who goes. They'd know who wants to go. Who has a "feel good" story behind them. Who they feel should go regardless of their reasoning. If someone does not want to go or is injured, just let them not go and be replaced with someone who does. Basically stop forcing team marketable out there every year because the on ice product reflects it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I just hope the NHL finds a way to have a couple underdogs, couple legitimate non forced good stories added every year along with the talent/skill of the best players.

I think the players should vote for who goes. They'd know who wants to go. Who has a "feel good" story behind them. Who they feel should go regardless of their reasoning. If someone does not want to go or is injured, just let them not go and be replaced with someone who does. Basically stop forcing team marketable out there every year because the on ice product reflects it.

I agree. I think the players should vote for their most underrated player and that guy goes. The rest of the voting is a predetermined set of top players. That way fans get to see an "underdog", players are happy with the underrated player, and the game is kept as being best vs best

Jun 30, 2006
First off, whoever started the John Scott the ASG petition should get a nice check from the NHL PR team. probably have people making six-seven figures that couldn't dream up the kind of publicity the league got for the ASG. Secondly, Bettman and the NHL should apologize for the BS they pulled on Scott, that's just unbecoming of a commissioner and a league.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
First off, whoever started the John Scott the ASG petition should get a nice check from the NHL PR team. probably have people making six-seven figures that couldn't dream up the kind of publicity the league got for the ASG. Secondly, Bettman and the NHL should apologize for the BS they pulled on Scott, that's just unbecoming of a commissioner and a league.

That would be Greg Wyshinski of Puck Daddy. Though I think he is persona non grata to the NHL.

I've met Greg and he was a pretty good guy, and generally I like his hockey opinions. On this Scott deal, he has been a bit insufferable at times.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
well he was traded so what is your point?

well considering that is a real contest with a cash prize that is likely more than i make in a year, and not a game of 3 on 3 pond hockey for children, i would likely get a lawyer involved and settle it in court

however if my boss said 'hey john you are not good enough to be on the company softball team, would you mind not coming this sunday?' i would probably be fine with it

I wouldn't. IMHO it would be a case of someone taking something not serious far more seriously than it should be...much like a lot of fans for this all star game. That's never a good thing. Those taking this far too seriously look like Dr. Hook McCracken in Slap Shot during the Ned Braden striptease--you're going to look like an imbecile if you're busy beating the crap out of someone on the ice and then you call it "Serious business" when someone makes a mockery of it.

Honestly, if my boss asked me to not to go to the company softball game because they felt there were "more deserving players", even though I was voted in; I would look for a new job, go anyway, have a blast regardless of whether I win or lose, then bail at the least opportune moment for my soon-to-be-ex-boss.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Maybe all the people pissed off about this should boycott the league to show their displeasure with everything that's been done to Scott.

Oh the drama!

I'm sure you contemplate quitting your job every time management makes an ass of themselves, or perhaps you just complain about their incompetence, keep working your job, and move on with you life.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bet you Phoenix wishes he was still a Coyote. All this PR and marketing would have done really well for that organization. Maloney is a fool.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Bet you Phoenix wishes he was still a Coyote. All this PR and marketing would have done really well for that organization. Maloney is a fool.

Ehh, I think they prefer getting (someone who once was? Still might be idk) a pretty good defensive prospect in Tinnordi. And the trade played a big role in the story. Without it he wouldn't have been as big an underdog.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ehh, I think they prefer getting (someone who once was? Still might be idk) a pretty good defensive prospect in Tinnordi. And the trade played a big role in the story. Without it he wouldn't have been as big an underdog.

Scott didn't need to be a throw in player for Tinnordi.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I love how Gary's being Mr. Defensive, whenever anyone brings up John Scott during an interview.

He bristles and won't talk about the fact that someone from the league office actually phoned Scott and insulted him and his family, over his decision to go through with the fan vote and attend the All Star Game.

Maybe it was Bettman who made the call, and Scott's saving him that little shred of dignity by being tight-lipped about it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad