John Moore or Raphael Diaz?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.

Thank you x10000.… I love Klein. The guy is so solid. Clears the crease protects the puck.. Knows his own zone so well...

And some of you think he isn't a top 4 guy... He makes the third pairing work and makes the rangers a better team in their own end.

Dec 13, 2010
Klein has been the worst Dman on the team by a wide margin.

I know people here want to like him because they moved MDZ for him, but he's a massive disappointment.

A massive disappointment compared to what? We traded a guy who is terrible and is getting scratched in Nashville's lineup for a guy who has absolutely not been the worst Dman on this team. And even if he WAS, that's because this team has had 7 decent defensemen since the deadline. Defensively Klein is better than Moore and Diaz combined. He's got no offense to his game, which is fine. He is our Sauer replacement. He's not the greatest player on earth, but he's probably your ideal 3rd pairing defenseman.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.

Couldn't have said this better which is why I didn't try.

As 3rd pairing defenders go, Klein has been a stud.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm a fan of sticks lining up, but with that said, outside of a 2-3 lost net front battles Diaz is a better upgrade on the PP.

Moore did himself a disservice by dropping weight during the offseason. Last year he was 6'3" 215 and looked like McDonaugh-lite with his size and skating. Dropping an extra 10lbs cause him to get owned on the boards this year, and that's lead to a lot of turnovers.

was there any reasoning provided for the weight loss?

that height, 215 for a guy that can skate and likes to throw the body a lil is perfect.

Not sure I get the decision for dropping weight, I'm pretty sure he regrets it as well

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Diaz has looked fantastic on the power play, and with the puck in general. Quick and good decision making skills. Definitely surprised with his play.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Id sit Stralman who hasn't been great defensively and has brought nothing offensively. There's no way I sit Diaz

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Mcd Girardi
staal Diaz
Moore Klein

U move Klein up with staal when u need to protect late

I'd rather have Diaz and what he brings over Stralman all day.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
was there any reasoning provided for the weight loss?

that height, 215 for a guy that can skate and likes to throw the body a lil is perfect.

Not sure I get the decision for dropping weight, I'm pretty sure he regrets it as well

He said he felt it made him faster. I was expecting the opposite thinking that he would come in at 225, which at his skating ability would make him much harder to contain when he's moving the puck.

After seeing him get rag dolled along the boards, I'm noticing a lot more turnovers out of JMoore.

It's not too different that Anisimov his first couple of years when he tried driving to the net and kept getting stopped. Except with the position of defense it's a little different when a defender gets outmuscled.

MacTruck is 6'1" 221, and when he accelerates with the puck, he hardly ever gets knocked down. It's simple physics: Force=MassxAcceleration.

JMoore at a lower mass is a weaker force.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
If they play Philly in Round 1, they will most likely need both.

I disagree, I say skate around Philly. Move the puck around and make them chase you, they're a slow team.

They haven't played both in any game during the regular season against Philly yet the Rangers won 2 at home and lost 2 on the road. What they need to beat Philly is home ice.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
I like moore's skating and potential which he flashes occasionally. Diaz is a little less feisty with solid outlet passing and more polished pushing puck. I don't think either are top 4 guys now but very comfortable with either in bottom pair. I would rotate them until Diaz is thoroughly evaluated but I see
Moore as top 4 guy eventually, especially in a system that will maximize his skating.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I like Moore's potential but it needs to start translating into offensive production as some point. He's not good enough defensively to keep around if he's not putting up points. I'm concerned that his hockey iq isn't good enough.

Last edited:

KreiMeARiver*

Sit Stralman?? Sit Klein?

Is this April Fools or something?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Diaz gets knocked off the puck easily and has a size issue.
Moore has decent size buts gets knocked off the puck just as much (and has a habit of getting hit hard)
PUSH

Defensively Diaz isn't terrible considering he's played his offside a couple games and is still learning the system. Need to see more.
Moore isnt terrible either but has trouble in front and in the corners.
PUSH

Diazs transition game is good. He head mans the puck quickly and is picking his spots when to rush.
Moores transition game is ok, but he can push the pace by carrying the puck himself with authority, deep into the zone
PUSH

Diaz is a pretty quick skater.
Moore has greasy speed and is a great skating defenseman.
ADV Moore

Diaz has a good shot and gets it to the net.
Moore has a good shot from the point but doesnt use it enough.
ADV Diaz

Moore has been tried on the PP but hasnt had much of an impact
Diaz made an impact immediately on the PP.
ADV Diaz

Moore has played more games as a Ranger, in AVs system - but doesnt necessarily gain more trust because of it.

I would ride Diaz for a bit, considering Moore is coming back from a head injury. Even though he might be good to go, I'd take my time with Moore because you have the luxury and see what Diaz can do, especially leaving him in there tonight against a former team.

KreiMeARiver*

Diaz gets knocked off the puck easily and has a size issue.
Moore has decent size buts gets knocked off the puck just as much (and has a habit of getting hit hard)
PUSH

Defensively Diaz isn't terrible considering he's played his offside a couple games and is still learning the system. Need to see more.
Moore isnt terrible either but has trouble in front and in the corners.
PUSH

Diazs transition game is good. He head mans the puck quickly and is picking his spots when to rush.
Moores transition game is ok, but he can push the pace by carrying the puck himself with authority, deep into the zone
PUSH

Diaz is a pretty quick skater.
Moore has greasy speed and is a great skating defenseman.
ADV Moore

Diaz has a good shot and gets it to the net.
Moore has a good shot from the point but doesnt use it enough.
ADV Diaz

Moore has been tried on the PP but hasnt had much of an impact
Diaz made an impact immediately on the PP.
ADV Diaz

Moore has played more games as a Ranger, in AVs system - but doesnt necessarily gain more trust because of it.

I would ride Diaz for a bit, considering Moore is coming back from a head injury. Even though he might be good to go, I'd take my time with Moore because you have the luxury and see what Diaz can do, especially leaving him in there tonight against a former team.

HUGE advantage Diaz. Last year when Subban was holding out, he got 1st team PP in Montreal, and he was racking up points every night. I'd even argue he's our best PP defenseman.

When I found out we got him this cheap I was ecstatic. I'm a big fan.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I love how we are arguing which player to sit, rather than which player to dress. I remember all too well, we had Bickel as our 6th defenseman.

Now, we have the luxury of having these pairings:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz-Klein
Moore-Falk

And we have McIlrath still developing and Allen, who surprises everyone.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I love how we are arguing which player to sit, rather than which player to dress. I remember all too well, we had Bickel as our 6th defenseman.

Now, we have the luxury of having these pairings:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz-Klein
Moore-Falk

And we have McIlrath still developing and Allen, who surprises everyone.

Bickel was great

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bickel was great

Before collapsing at seasons end, Bickel played 34-39 games without being scored on at even strength in 11-12. Granted he played 5-8 min a night, which is too low for a defenseman, he was effective in his role before the wheels came off at that season's end.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Mind blowing Kevin Klein has ZERO penalty minutes in 25 games for us.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Before the playoffs start, we should give John Moore a game or two at left wing, and see how that goes.

Apr 10, 2012
i like moore and want to see him develop in house and become a solid #2 LD here, but diaz fits better offensively going into the playoffs, and klein has been strong defensively. diaz looks great though. keep him.

NYRCSKA*

Rangers fans for ya. "Klein is garbage…" just like Girardi "wasn't that good" before he signed his extension.
Klein is a shut down dman. He clears the crease. He is great in the defensive zone. Mediocre outside of that. For a 3rd pairing dman with an AMAZING contract, there really is nothing to complain about.

Diaz offers more than Moore does right now. I don't even think he's a defensive liability like Moore is. Diaz has been pretty impressive honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad