John Moore or Raphael Diaz?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Diaz is playing very well and I can see going with him for the time being--Moore though was playing pretty well before he was hurt. Diaz is pretty much a developed player and an upcoming UFA. Moore in the long run--cheap contract--should get better.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If they play Philly in Round 1, they will most likely need both.

Looks like AV won't be trusting Miller in the playoffs, so we'll be getting both at least for the first round.

However I believe Diaz has played a tiny bit of forward in his career, so perhaps giving him some shots in the 4th line forward/PP role could be tried, but probably not.

I do agree though that his quick, and accurate, shot should be kept in the lineup for the PP.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Pour one out for the homie sauer.
It breaks my heart every time I think of it.

I see Moore as more of a liability on the ice than Diaz.

When Diaz gets involved in the O zone, it's more about getting shots off from the point or supporting a loose puck on the boards. Moore usually loses positioning and doesn't have the capability (like McD) to get back into position once he gets involved - his shot is weak from the point.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Short term, go with the hot hand...

long term, trade Stepan + Girardi + possibly Talbot (who we will eventually lose to UFA cause we can't offer him starter status) for a big, difference maker upgrade.

As that relates here, means we keep everybody, possible heavy juggling if nec. (McD to RD w/Staal at first pair, though I don't believe it comes to that). Same guys, maybe add Connor allen ---- + that difference maker.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Klein has been the worst Dman on the team by a wide margin.

I know people here want to like him because they moved MDZ for him, but he's a massive disappointment.

is this serious?

Klein has saved 4 goals on his own in the past 6 games or so... whether it's because of back checks, blocked shots, or scrambles in his own crease...

Yep. Klein has been very, very good for us. Surprisingly steady on the back-end. He's really replaced Sauer. Sauer used to be that steady, 3rd pairing rock. Funnily enough, Klein could have really steadied MDZ's game I'd bet. Just like Sauer.

there was no way Nashville would have taken Moore for Klein.. although I wish they could have :(

long term, trade Stepan + Girardi + possibly Talbot (who we will eventually lose to UFA cause we can't offer him starter status) for a big, difference maker upgrade.

As that relates here, means we keep everybody, possible heavy juggling if nec. (McD to RD w/Staal at first pair, though I don't believe it comes to that). Same guys, maybe add Connor allen ---- + that difference maker.

Are you kidding me?

Stepan, our almost #1C, and you want to trade him, plus our 2nd best defenseman and an awesome backup? Are you expecting someone to unload a Crosby for that combo? beacuse reality is you won't get it...

Last edited:

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

I think Stepan and Girardi are two guys we really need to hold on to. We just signed Girardi to a nice deal and I think that means we're keeping him around for a while.

Steps had some rough patches this season, but he's a 60+ point center in the very near future IMO. I absolutely think if we traded him for an upgrade, the player we got in return would see a drop in production and we would crave Stepan back in a big way. He's a super solid top 6 center who we drafted. If anything, players like that are who we need to hold on to.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think Stepan and Girardi are two guys we really need to hold on to. We just signed Girardi to a nice deal and I think that means we're keeping him around for a while.

Steps had some rough patches this season, but he's a 60+ point center in the very near future IMO. I absolutely think if we traded him for an upgrade, the player we got in return would see a drop in production and we would crave Stepan back in a big way. He's a super solid top 6 center who we drafted. If anything, players like that are who we need to hold on to.

bernmeister has included Stepan in every proposal since pee wee.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Go with the hot hand, which is Diaz right now. I'm a little concerned about his defense in the playoffs but you can protect him by only playing him when we need a goal. It sucks for Moore but his replacement earned a starting job.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I doubt Nashville would have gone for this, but I really wish we could have trade Moore instead of Del Zotto for Klein. Del Zotto-Klein would have been a nice third pairing.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I still can't believe someone actually thinks Klein has been anything but good (let alone that he's been terrible).
Absolutely insane. Been nothing but solid since he's arrived.

Back on topic, I'm really impressed with Diaz's aggressiveness in the o-zone. Puck on his stick he immediately wants to rip a shot. Surprised he hasn't put up more points in the league to date.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Any consideration into playing Moore at LW? Has he ever played forward at all? Given we're currently short one due to Kreider and have Carcillo in the top 9 (at least last game) it seems like he might have a shot there with his combination of size and speed - rather similar to Kreider actually. And it would let us keep Diaz in who's been very effective.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Klein has played 24 games for us. 0 penalty minutes. Positionally sound. Strong on his skates--not someone that you can run over easily. Does not panic or run around. He's still a stiff (to use Tortorella's phrase) player to play against. He pins a guy--the guy stays pinned. He doesn't force plays--he makes safe plays coming out of his end.

I know some people loved Del Zotto but the guy gave me the willies a lot in his own defensive end. I was watching him the other night--Buffalo against Nashville and he looks still the same. DZ paired with Moore was just a disaster waiting to happen on any given shift. Moore paired with Klein looks a whole hell of a lot different to me--like he actually now has a clue. Maybe DZ would benefited the same but he was the price that had to be paid and DZ was heading towards a $3 + mil arbitration eligible contract negotiation--something which he's not proved to be worth. Diaz and Klein look very good together as well.

Klein's been the best addition the Rangers have made this year. Solidified the entire defense corps. His contract and term are both very good. Personally I think we ripped Nashville off.

Well said Eco, and I especially agree with the bolded.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm a fan of sticks lining up, but with that said, outside of a 2-3 lost net front battles Diaz is a better upgrade on the PP.

Moore did himself a disservice by dropping weight during the offseason. Last year he was 6'3" 215 and looked like McDonaugh-lite with his size and skating. Dropping an extra 10lbs cause him to get owned on the boards this year, and that's lead to a lot of turnovers.

Petey240

Jan 29, 2014
Diaz.. The guy has a good shot and doesn't seem to make many mistakes with or without the puck. Not that Moore isn't good, it just feels like Diaz has more of an impact.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Any consideration into playing Moore at LW? Has he ever played forward at all? Given we're currently short one due to Kreider and have Carcillo in the top 9 (at least last game) it seems like he might have a shot there with his combination of size and speed - rather similar to Kreider actually. And it would let us keep Diaz in who's been very effective.

Ah yes, the old Stu Bickel treatment.

And no, they shouldn't do that

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ah yes, the old Stu Bickel treatment.

And no, they shouldn't do that

First off teams use 7th defenseman as an extra forward relatively often. And some convert - Burns/Byfuglien (no not comparing Moore to them skill wise)

Second it is nothing like Bickel whatsoever as Moore is actually a real hockey player who is big, fast, and has a good shot. He might be able to help there - likely more than Carcillo would in a top 9 role. Bickel is the random John Scott 7th defenseman as forward who plays 3 minutes to fight when needed.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I doubt Nashville would have gone for this, but I really wish we could have trade Moore instead of Del Zotto for Klein. Del Zotto-Klein would have been a nice third pairing.

Del Zotto sucks. He has produced nothing offensively in Nashville and has been a healthy scratch multiple times.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yeah, who cares if he's in his own zone for the majority of his ice time despite getting extremely sheltered minutes?

Yeah, I mean who cares about that? He's a solid, solid player.

:lol:

I would roll out with Diaz and Klein because John Moore sucks. At least Klein is decent on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad