Player Discussion John Merrill: a.k.a. Joe Dirt, a.k.a. Letterkenny Extra Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Didn't notice him much and noticed Romanov a lot = good start.

Hoping to never see Kulak again. That guys is frustrating - looks and skates like a PMD but has zero IQ. Not good offensively and is pretty brutal in his own zone.

With Merrill holding down the fort Romanov should really excel.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Merill - Romanov looked good last night; small sample size, but a good pairing where both guys can concentrate on their strengths...imo looked better than Chairot - Weber did and they actually played a pretty decent game until shyte hit the fan in the final minutes...hope this kid keeps it up...

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Merill - Romanov looked good last night; small sample size, but a good pairing where both guys can concentrate on their strengths...imo looked better than Chairot - Weber did and they actually played a pretty decent game until shyte hit the fan in the final minutes...hope this kid keeps it up...
Chairot/Weber had a lot tougher matchups all night though and I have to say they played really well. But this is exactly what Romanov needed...just a steady presence next to him so he can keep logging minutes and develop his game. Hopefully Merrill can be that guy.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Merrill did a great job separating his man from the puck, and Romanov was quick to recognize and scoop it up. Happened a bunch. Great sign for sure.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thought he played well. Good skater, actually kept the puck in at offensive blueline, which is something we're generally terrible at, and make good outlets all night. Not much there offensively other than a dump in or a wrist shot to the front with traffic, but he was pretty steady in all areas.

Good partner for Romanov.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Thought he played well. Good skater, actually kept the puck in at offensive blueline, which is something we're generally terrible at, and make good outlets all night. Not much there offensively other than a dump in or a wrist shot to the front with traffic, but he was pretty steady in all areas.

Good partner for Romanov.

Keeping the puck in at the blue line is an underrated skill. I wasn't as down on Brisebois as some but watching him consistently miss the puck especially on the power play was painful.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-24_16-5-51.png

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He looked to me like the Habs worst player last night. I prefer Gustafson in my viewings so far, but maybe he just had a bad game.

I'm still getting a feel for his game.

He has some strengths and some limitations. I was hoping he'd be better than Chiarot. He's definitely more Kulak/Benn level. Have to see more before I can say I prefer Kulak.

I actually hope Weber is out a little while to get a better look at both.

As for Gus, he is not a dman. Perhaps with injuries he'll get a shot on the wing, but that seems unlikely. Seems Poehling and Belzile will first.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't notice him much and noticed Romanov a lot = good start.

Hoping to never see Kulak again. That guys is frustrating - looks and skates like a PMD but has zero IQ. Not good offensively and is pretty brutal in his own zone.

With Merrill holding down the fort Romanov should really excel.

Whatever you may think of kulak, can we agree that he should be further ahead on the depth chart than gusto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad