Player Discussion John Merrill: a.k.a. Joe Dirt, a.k.a. Letterkenny Extra Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-17_15-17-21.png

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So, Merrill will play on wednesday this week vs the Oilers.............Kulak sits?
Too predictable that Romanov will be the odd man out. It would be great if Alex was sent to Bouchard for the rest of the season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So, Merrill will play on wednesday this week vs the Oilers.............Kulak sits?

For sure Wednesday, but it depends when he got in Canada after he was traded on the 11th. Because it's been 7 days since he was acquired. So there may be a chance he has finished his quarantine and will be available tonight.

Gustafsson should be available on Wednesday.

Both Merrill and Gustafsson both flew to Edmonton to serve their quarantine because the Habs will be there when they come out of their isolation.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
For sure Wednesday, but it depends when he got in Canada after he was traded on the 11th. Because it's been 7 days since he was acquired. So there may be a chance he has finished his quarantine and will be available tonight.

Both Merrill and Gustafsson both flew to Edmonton to serve their quarantine because the Habs will be there when they come out of their isolation.
I would think, that these two guys will get their chance, but not at the same time, unless the injury bug hits us...

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

Are Merrill and Gustafsson on the roster or the taxi squad or how does that work?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
On the roster.

gotta love that we traded to get the 1.5M gustafsson cap hit so that he could sit in the stands instead of the RFA 735K Mete... screwing up the teams ability to have call-up flexibility in the process.

Genius GM manoeuvring lol

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
gotta love that we traded to get the 1.5M gustafsson cap hit so that he could sit in the stands instead of the RFA 735K Mete... screwing up the teams ability to have call-up flexibility in the process.

Genius GM manoeuvring lol

Gustafsson and Merrill have nothing to do with the call ups, though. They don't count as a call up. They were on the roster the moment they were acquired.

Also, Gustafsson this year, 10 pts in 24 GP (34-point pace in 82 games). Mete, 3 pts in 18 GP (14-point pace in 82 games).

I'm a fan of Mete's, but I'd take Gustafsson's ability to produce offensively over Mete's. They both have weaknesses on the defensive side. But at least Gustafsson contributes to the offense, whereas Mete didn't.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Gustafsson and Merrill have nothing to do with the call ups, though. They don't count as a call up. They were on the roster the moment they were acquired.

Also, Gustafsson this year, 10 pts in 24 GP. Mete, 3 pts in 18 GP.

I'm a fan of Mete's, but I'd take Gustafsson's ability to produce offensively over Mete's. They both have weaknesses on the defensive side. But at least Gustafsson contributes to the offense, whereas Mete didn't.
Could also see Gustaffasson start as a fourth line winger and play PP Minutes, kind of like streit in the old days

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Also, Gustafsson this year, 10 pts in 24 GP. Mete, 3 pts in 18 GP.

really? i though the issue with the call-up flexibility was the cap crunch created precisely because they were on the roster right away. Gustafsson's cap hit is double mete's, so certainly that has had an negative affect on DD's ability to make adjustments.

re. Mete vs Gustafsson... in a vacuum? no doubt. Gustafsson, if playing, can bring an element mete couldn't. No doubt or debate there.

Thing is, neither offer more than what the 6 guys in the lineup tonight can bring... and arguably neither offer more than what Kulak brings.... so the move was both pointless in terms of benefit and a net negative in terms of the long term asset loss (Mete as an RFA had more value, as small as it is/was/may have been, than gustafsson as a UFA we certainly have no reason to re-sign) AND, more importantly, for the roster inflexibility it created at a crucial point in the season.

it's not a case of Mete Vs Gustafsson, it's a case of poorly handled roster/asset management and risk/reward assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad