Player Discussion John Merrill: a.k.a. Joe Dirt, a.k.a. Letterkenny Extra Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I thought they said he got hurt actually.
I think I remember a play were he was going to retrieve the puck in the corner and kinda got slew foot by the forechecker spinning as he was hitting him and he fell awkwardly on the ice and board seem to have trouble getting up, definitely didn’t see much of him after that...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Merrill actually has played well in his limited minutes.

If we actually had more than 1 defenceman who could skate and move the puck he wouldn't be a problem, but given we have a bunch of slow big defence he ends up being redundant on our D.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember the fan experts saying this guy was for sure better than Kulak. I don't hate Merrill but he's another big guy who can't skate that well and makes dumb passes to players who are covered. Gusta was a good depth move, Merrill was only a good depth move if one of Edmundon/Chiarot went down with an injury. There is no way Merrill should be blocking Romanov. Gusta at least helps on our PP

Last edited:

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Okay, I was watching last game's goals and I decided to give Merrill some love since he gets a lot of hate here.

On the KK goal, watch the little back pass he does to get the puck out at the beginning of the play (no doubt after a player called for it). A bit risky yet effective in taking out two Vegas players out of the play. The rest of the play by all players is perfect but it all started with him. Didn't get a point. Also took out Casperetti at the beginning with a small hit.

Similar play on the Staal goal. Pressures Martinez on the board forcing him to dump it. Great play by Danault to intercept, give back to Merrill, quick pass to Danault and puck is out. Goal ensues at the other end. Obviously Danault was probably the key element here but another simple yet effective play by Merrill. No point.

Now, I get the Romanov love and Merrill also makes mistakes, but wanted to show the guy can still be effective. Trying to be positive.

Reactions: Archijerej

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I remember the fan experts saying this guy was for sure better than Kulak. I don't hate Merrill but he's another big guy who can't skate that well and makes dump passes to players who are covered. Gusta was a good depth move, Merrill was only a good depth move if one of Edmundon/Chiarot went down with an injury. There is no way Merrill should be blocking Romanov. Gusta at least helps on our PP
Wrong. Romanov was a trainwreck, statistically on the PK this season. Merrill was better during the season and he's there to cut down Petry's minutes on the PK to avoid a bigger hand injury. Petry really only plays PK now if another defenseman is in the box.

And Gusty helps at ES too, statistically, according to stats. Dude's numbers are legit fire.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Okay, I was watching last game's goals and I decided to give Merrill some love since he gets a lot of hate here.

On the KK goal, watch the little back pass he does to get the puck out at the beginning of the play (no doubt after a player called for it). A bit risky yet effective in taking out two Vegas players out of the play. The rest of the play by all players is perfect but it all started with him. Didn't get a point. Also took out Casperetti at the beginning with a small hit.

Similar play on the Staal goal. Pressures Martinez on the board forcing him to dump it. Great play by Danault to intercept, give back to Merrill, quick pass to Danault and puck is out. Goal ensues at the other end. Obviously Danault was probably the key element here but another simple yet effective play by Merrill. No point.

Now, I get the Romanov love and Merrill also makes mistakes, but wanted to show the guy can still be effective. Trying to be positive.

He had a good game 5 I admit

But he still scares me..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Merrill actually has played well in his limited minutes.

If we actually had more than 1 defenceman who could skate and move the puck he wouldn't be a problem, but given we have a bunch of slow big defence he ends up being redundant on our D.

This nonsense again.

The only dman who has below average speed is Weber. It is a big, mean and mobile unit.

If you want to say the overall skill level is not that high, you would have a case but the skating is more than adequate.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This nonsense again.

The only dman who has below average speed is Weber. It is a big, mean and mobile unit.

If you want to say the overall skill level is not that high, you would have a case but the skating is more than adequate.
Agreed here...I think even Chiarot and Edmunson move pretty well for their size, there's just not much puck skills there.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I remember the fan experts saying this guy was for sure better than Kulak. I don't hate Merrill but he's another big guy who can't skate that well and makes dump passes to players who are covered. Gusta was a good depth move, Merrill was only a good depth move if one of Edmundon/Chiarot went down with an injury. There is no way Merrill should be blocking Romanov. Gusta at least helps on our PP
Imo, you can't have enough big bodies on D for the playoffs. I'm glad he's here. Romanov's time will come. We finally have a coach who's not afraid to play young guys. I think it's good they are sheltering him. Young defenseman's confidence can be fragile, especially in MTL. It also probably doesn't help that he likely doesn't speak English all that well yet.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Honestly I wanted to see Romanov take a spot on the Bottom 6 but when you play your top pairing 25 minutes each, Merril does what he has been asked for during the past 3 games : don't take risks, play along the boards, don't be fancy in the offense, just try to have no goal against in those ten minutes. Still think Romanov can do that, but it is a fact that Merril can until now

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

With posts like this one, we'd have less nonsense floating around this forum of ours.

I thought Merrill was stronger. It seemed to me he was struggling in puck battles a couple of times.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He’s better then Kulak though

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's there because of how low risk and unenterprising he is at this point, if that makes sense. That and the GM did spend a few assets to get him so there's probably some '' well, I have to play him or Bergy will look dumb'' in there as well. It does suck for Romanov in the end, that's some prime playoff experience he's missing on.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's there because of how low risk and unenterprising he is at this point, if that makes sense. That and the GM did spend a pick to get him so there's probably some '' well, I have to play him or Bergy will look dumb'' in there as well.

We gave up a 5th rounder. This is not something I would use in a Bergevin look dumb narrative.

Merrill is playing cause he is playing within the system they are asking him to do. His ability to pin guys on the wall and tie guys up in front of the next is being overlooked. I'm not a huge fan of his game but I understand the coaches approch.

Reactions: Babyhockey

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Agreed here...I think even Chiarot and Edmunson move pretty well for their size, there's just not much puck skills there.

Pretty well for their size & physicality... That's probably fair & the most we could say in describing their skating.

In both cases, their skating & mobility gets further limited with the puck on their stick & neither are as good as Weber at positioning and playing the angles (which makes him more effective at covering space in the dzone imo)

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We gave up a 5th rounder. This is not something I would use in a Bergevin look dumb narrative.

Merrill is playing cause he is playing within the system they are asking him to do. His ability to pin guys on the wall and tie guys up in front of the next is being overlooked. I'm not a huge fan of his game but I understand the coaches approch.
Quintessential "no frills" type of Dman the Habs value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Quintessential "no frills" type of Dman the Habs value.

We are not the only ones. However, the Leafs love those puck movers and see how far Sandin and Dermott got them when they made key errors that cost them the game? This is what the Habs are trying to avoid and it's all about little inexperienced mistakes that leads to Price being exposed.

I'm steering clear of trying to know more than our coaches. They got us to this point with their strategy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We are not the only ones. However, the Leafs love those puck movers and see how far Sandin and Dermott got them when they made key errors that cost them the game? This is what the Habs are trying to avoid and it's all about little inexperienced mistakes that leads to Price being exposed.
Oh lord not that again

I'm steering clear of trying to know more than our coaches. They got us to this point with their strategy
That comment wasn't made in jest...that's the type of Dman the Habs value.

It's proving effective so far this series.

I still you need to have the right balance though.

But I'm not complaining about the lineup as is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh lord not that again

That comment wasn't made in jest...that's the type of Dman the Habs value.

It's proving effective so far this series.

I still you need to have the right balance though.

But I'm not complaining about the lineup as is.

I'm just sensitive to some fans thinking all depth guys or stay at home guys on D are like Alzner. It's not the case.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Cough Cough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad