Confirmed with Link: John McDonough Fired

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nope. I think that McCub has been behind the Seabrook fiasco all along.

The marketing guy was behind the move universally ridiculed the second it was announced? McDonough may not be a hockey guy, but he's not blind, and even if he was there's no way he had the exclusive sway to force that kind of an extension on Bowman against his will.

And I keep saying this, the Hawks have been willing and able to make loads of fairly poor marketing moves in booting out very popular players over the year without issue, I don't see Seabrook as being in an echelon by his lonesome to being a dealbreaker marketing-wise. Toews, Kane, and Keith are the marketing triforce for the team that might be untouchable from purely marketing.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Nope. I think that McCub has been behind the Seabrook fiasco all along.

I think Seabrook was forced into surgeries he didn't feel he needed and McD and Stan wanted him on LTIR. Seabrook never indicated he was hurt then all of a sudden he disappeared. The only way that would ever happen is if it was approved by McD. If anything I take this as Seabrook wants to come back.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Soooo are we all pretty much in agreement that this change will be for the better? I definitely like the move. Shake things up and get a new plan of direction in place for this wave of young talent we have coming along, and find a way to make it fit with these last few years of Kane/Toews/Keith. Eek out another run at a championship.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Soooo are we all pretty much in agreement that this change will be for the better? I definitely like the move. Shake things up and get a new plan of direction in place for this wave of young talent we have coming along, and find a way to make it fit with these last few years of Kane/Toews/Keith. Eek out another run at a championship.

One of the few things I think you'll find universal agreement about on here. McDouche needed to go.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

IDK how it makes anything better when McDonough wasn't putting together the rosters.

Reactions: ClydeLee and Crow

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bowman is a roster management guy. I don't see him being promoted upwards out of hockey ops as making sense for him, especially when he'd be the top GM candidate on the market if we parted ways with him.

I think the split McCubs role in two positions.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Honestly I don’t know what the guy really did. How far was his reach into the hockey side of things? Seems like no one really knows outside of the organization. Lots of speculation here.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Honestly I don’t know what the guy really did. How far was his reach into the hockey side of things? Seems like no one really knows outside of the organization.
He was called McSplash for reasons though. As for if he had his fingers inside hockey ops? I'm not in the know.

...and really, Bowman the Lesser doesn't strike me as a hockey ops guy 1st. He strikes me as a beancounter 1st...to address something previously said. I could see Bowman being demoted upstairs for how the season went. He had his guy behind the bench the whole year as well as his players and was unfettered by Q's "meddling"...and the result is the same: last place in the central behind arguably the worst D in hockey.

Granted, this is only if Bowman is moved pout of the GM role.

Still, anxious to see what happens from hereon out.

Hope you all are healthy!

Reactions: KWP

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Let's assume this leads to Bowman being gone next year...Who are you guys thinking takes over? MacIver?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
This can't be just about hockey. Pro sports are screwed due to COVID. Maybe he was asked what the Hawks should do to get ahead of this mess and he didn't have a good plan.

The economy is f***ed. Hockey season tickets are a luxury. I bet their renewals were going to be super grim.

I mean when people don't even know if their company is going to survive, the last thing they wanna do is renew tickets.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Wow I have to say say this is shocking. Not upset by it but I can't remember a shake up coming out of the blue like this. Different circumstances but maybe the whole Maddon leaving Tampa thing and the Cubs parting with Ricky after one season?

Pretty bizarre.

Got to think this will be the end of Stan and Jeremy though. Not completely upset with that either. We keep talking about retooling the roster but we need some new thinking in the front office as well.

Still though, end of an era and even though I don't like the guy much, he was extremely successful in his role and helped bring us Cups.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
IDK how it makes anything better when McDonough wasn't putting together the rosters.
He wasn't making the moves, but I do think he was behind the "retool" vs rebuild thing. I think that some of the moves the Hawks made, most notably Panarin for Saad instead of futures, and the Brent Seabrook extension are because of McCub. I think it was pretty clear after the 2015 Cup that their time was over.

2 things:
a) I think McDonough was behind Seabrook for the following reasons:
1. He believed you can't take a beloved guy in the room and trade him coming off of a championship
2. He believed that selling off after a championship was bad optics, because of what we're watching on ESPN right now(90s Bulls)
3. From a roster construction standpoint, if they had traded Seabrook and Hjalmarsson after 2015 as they should have, they'd have been decimated on D because they had nobody ready to step in behind Keith.

However.......Toews and Kane were 27 years old when the critical point occurred in the summer following the last Cup......If they could have taken a step back for 3-4 years and built around 19/88 and Panarin......they could have had something by now. I think it could have been done if not for the 90s Bulls.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Wow I have to say say this is shocking. Not upset by it but I can't remember a shake up coming out of the blue like this. Different circumstances but maybe the whole Maddon leaving Tampa thing and the Cubs parting with Ricky after one season?

Pretty bizarre.

Got to think this will be the end of Stan and Jeremy though. Not completely upset with that either. We keep talking about retooling the roster but we need some new thinking in the front office as well.

Still though, end of an era and even though I don't like the guy much, he was extremely successful in his role and helped bring us Cups.

If Bowman gets fired he'll get another chance as GM. Colliton I would think would go to Europe, the A or an assistant job.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He wasn't making the moves, but I do think he was behind the "retool" vs rebuild thing. I think that some of the moves the Hawks made, most notably Panarin for Saad instead of futures, and the Brent Seabrook extension are because of McCub. I think it was pretty clear after the 2015 Cup that their time was over.

2 things:
1. He believed you can't take a beloved guy in the room and trade him coming off of a championship
2. He believed that selling off after a championship was bad optics, because of what we're watching on ESPN right now(90s Bulls)
3. From a roster construction standpoint, if they had traded Seabrook and Hjalmarsson after 2015 as they should have, they'd have been decimated on D because they had nobody ready to step in behind Keith.

However.......Toews and Kane were 27 years old when the critical point occurred in the summer following the last Cup......If they could have taken a step back for 3-4 years and built around 19/88 and Panarin......they could have had something by now. I think it could have been done if not for the 90s Bulls.

3 10+ million AAV deals? Come on.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This what happens next, Stan is promoted to a more business-oriented role and they hire a new gm (Scotty hires a new GM not Stan). This is good for the organization as they retain their scouts (Euro and amateur but fire their pro scouting team) and hire a new mind. JC? he gone.
I hope so. I would say one down and two to go but if Bowman is moved to the side in a different role and a new GM is put in place who has control I don’t care if Rocky wants to pay Bowman a salary for whatever. JC should be gone immediately and Gallant brought in, a rare opportunity to get such a coach is still there.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

2 things:

After 2015 their time was over? Come on dude...They went 7 games in 2016 and won the west in 2017...They started to f*** up with self inflicted wounds like trading Panarin, Hammer, Danault and TT...To suggest they should've traded anybody for futures after 2015 is comical...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hope so. I would say one down and two to go but if Bowman is moved to the side in a different role and a new GM is put in place who has control I don’t care if Rocky wants to pay Bowman a salary for whatever. JC should be gone immediately and Gallant brought in, a rare opportunity to get such a coach is still there.

I agree about Galant.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
3 10+ million AAV deals? Come on.

Agreed. Honestly that trade was never seemed that bad to me. This season the Andrew Shaw trade was a total disaster and the Seabrook contract as everyone has mentioned.

I don't mind the Hammer for Mutphy trade either.

Reactions: KWP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad