Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Last time I went golfing (on my brother's course in NC in December)............I nearly hit a kid after my ball bounced off three trees...............and then somehow sliced a tee shot over the houses AND the road bordering the course. Mind you, I regularly shoot 85-90.

It's not hard to hit the ball. It's hard to make the f***ing thing go straight.

And when you hit the ball straight and watch it fly 200+ yards, all you wanna do is:

1706804919667.gif

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His Skinner-esque attention to defense and his recent lack of willingness to engage along the boards has been concerning me lately.

I wouldn't say the engagement thing is recent. That's been much of his season. Same with getting to the inside. When he does, goals follow. When he doesn't... 9 games without a goal or 12 games without a goal is what we see. Hopefully he keeps growing his game and doesn't stall where he is at.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't say the engagement thing is recent. That's been much of his season. Same with getting to the inside. When he does, goals follow. When he doesn't... 9 games without a goal or 12 games without a goal is what we see. Hopefully he keeps growing his game and doesn't stall where he is at.
A modest contract would help deter stalling

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He fully engaged first part of the season. Too focused on production is likely an issue for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He fully engaged first part of the season. Too focused on production is likely an issue for him.

He has spurts where he isn’t allergic to the front of the net and those correspond to him scoring. He is worried about scoring, there is a whole lot of inside drive to reflect that.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He has spurts where he isn’t allergic to the front of the net and those correspond to him scoring. He is worried about scoring, there is a whole lot of inside drive to reflect that.
He gets about as pissed as anyone when he misses a good chance.

Reactions: Jacob582

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If they can ever get him to engage those feet to be active defensively, they may really have something special. In the meantime, he's kind of a shooty version of Kevin Fiala.

He talked about that after the game last night. This year it looks like they're coaching him to stay high and blow the zone early.

When he's down around the top of the circle he looks so indecisive about where/when to engage on the back check. It'd be ok if he had a super active stick, but his hands seem built for shooting not stripping the puck.

That could come with experience.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He talked about that after the game last night. This year it looks like they're coaching him to stay high and blow the zone early.

When he's down around the top of the circle he looks so indecisive about where/when to engage on the back check. It'd be ok if he had a super active stick, but his hands seem built for shooting not stripping the puck.

Yeah, I think a lot of what is wrong with this team is in what the staff ask them to do. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but they are so often on the wrong side of the puck and he's very much one of the worst.

Granted, he also has a number of controller disconnect moments coming back to support defensively that aren't about blowing the zone but about not giving equal effort on the back check. That part of his game I would like them to bring out since he has the speed to be someone who can pressure defensively and then turn plays quickly back to the attack.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

I think this is spot on. I also think the ally oop passes they throw from down low to Tuch, Tage and JJ are in the playbook. I wish they weren’t.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Granted, he also has a number of controller disconnect moments coming back to support defensively that aren't about blowing the zone but about not giving equal effort on the back check.

Bennett's goal on Tuesday that he scored against us...........many coaches would straight-up bench JJP rest of the game AND another for that effort.

Good lord was that pathetic.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Bennett's goal on Tuesday that he scored against us...........many coaches would straight-up bench JJP rest of the game AND another for that effort.

Good lord was that pathetic.
Not uncommon either. He was brought up way too fast. Hopefully that's the reason Kulich is staying down...this team can't handle another JJP.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I haven't been able to watch a lot of games from beginning to end this year. But, when i do, especially recently, JJ looks dangerous out there. He has a good jump/burst starting from a stand still. 40 Goal potential for sure.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I haven't been able to watch a lot of games from beginning to end this year. But, when i do, especially recently, JJ looks dangerous out there. He has a good jump/burst starting from a stand still. 40 Goal potential for sure.
Yeah that's the one positive in his play, everywhere else is a trainwreck. "Million dollar arm, but a 10 cent head". Still time for him to get it together away from the puck, but some coaching would help.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Yeah that's the one positive in his play, everywhere else is a trainwreck. "Million dollar arm, but a 10 cent head". Still time for him to get it together away from the puck, but some coaching would help.
He is still young plenty of time to clean up his play he could turn out to be Kyle Connor although which isn't bad but not a two wayvstalwart by any means

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad