John Chayka: "We’re probably the most improved team in the league.”

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Obviously a lot of trolling going on in this thread ....... it has to be right ?..... No one who watched the video could honestly not understand the context of what he was saying ? Could they ? ( I had other words in mind , but decided to be respectful :) )

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Is this a Pierre Dorion put myself on the back move? All this guy does is prove Corsi is not the be all, end all everyone thinks it is.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Keller is a a 65 point Calder finalist and Chychrun has been very solid in a top 4 capacity despite knee injuries. POJ has also had a solid D+1 year.

In other words, the assertion that Chayka has drafted poorly isn't really rooted in reality. Not that Maloney is chopped liver either, as Domi, Dvorak, Fischer, and Perlini are all on the roster, while Strome was a PPG in his last call-up to close the season.
Other than Keller none of these players are stars.
And Strome in a loaded draft was a bad choice.

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
article_07a50a9d-6a9c-48bd-9eca-68a2afb3534f.jpeg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Statements like this really make me roll my eyes. Chayka needs to use context such as the fact that the Coyotes were playing fantastic hockey post ASG and once Tocchet got his system implemented the Coyotes were a true pain in the ass to play against and could seemingly win on any given night. If he is going to say something like that it needs to be done like that.

Give the man 2 hours of Yzerman death stare as a punishment

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Other than Keller none of these players are stars.
And Strome in a loaded draft was a bad choice.

Right, because the 16 OA and the 23 OA picks historically become stars consistently. After 1-2 years of development. #eyeroll

As for Strome, highly drafted big, lanky centers generally take 3-4 seasons to become NHL regulars (see Schiefele, Johansen). Couturier took like 7 seasons to break out offensively - a miracle despite being rushed into a shutdown role very early on. If you want to call Strome a bust, by all means. But more rational people would give a 21 year old with 28 NHL games under his belt a few more seasons before making that conclusion.

Reactions: Rorschach

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To those who keep pointing out the fact that Chayka's comments concern the second half of the season...

Team Game Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

If the link works properly, it's a table showing the record of teams after the midway point of the season, in which the Coyotes were 19th in the league with a record of 20-15-7 in their final 42 games. By what measure were they the most improved team?

Keep reaching for the stars.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If the link works properly, it's a table showing the record of teams after the midway point of the season, in which the Coyotes were 19th in the league with a record of 20-15-7 in their final 42 games. By what measure were they the most improved team?

The measure that they were 9-27-5 from October to December 31st, i.e. dead last. Master debater my ***.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
To those who keep pointing out the fact that Chayka's comments concern the second half of the season...

Team Game Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Keep reaching for the stars.
I'm not hating on Arizona. I actually love rooting for them and I miss the old Picasso jerseys but the fans deserve better and its not entirely management's fault.
If any team deserves first overall its the Coyotes.
I was hoping you would have landed McDavid and think its absurd a team could land first overall in three straight years.

Reactions: El Cohiba

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The measure that they were 9-27-5 from October to December 31st, i.e. dead last. Master debater my ***.

Florida went from a record of 17-18-6, which was 26th in the NHL, to a record of 27-12-3, 5th best in the NHL in the second half.

Philadelphia went from a record of 18-15-8, 24th in the NHL at the midway point, to 25-11-6, 8th best in the NHL in the second half.

Anaheim went from a record of 19-14-8, 21st in the NHL half way through, to 26-11-5, 6th best in the NHL from the mid-point on.

Pittsburgh was 20-18-3, 20th in the NHL midway through the season. They finished up with a record of 28-11-3, 3rd best in the NHL after the midway point.

Sorry for poking holes in your silly attempts to prop your team up.

I apologize for not accepting Chayka's words as gospel and poking holes in the suggestion that they Coyotes are the most improved team in the league, no matter whatever dates you want to cherry pick (which I just proved is statistically and factually incorrect).

Better luck next time.

Reactions: Fantomas

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Its obvious that the Avalanche are the most improved, to go from 22-56-4 & 48 points to 43-30-9 & 95 points is an incredible 47 point improvement.

With regards to the Coyotes, I'll be forever grateful for this franchise passing up on Mitch Marner with their #3 pick.
This guy only comes into the thread to prop up his own player lmao

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The second half of their season was really strong, I thought they had no shot of getting out of the last spot in December.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This guy only comes into the thread to prop up his own player lmao

Umm if you bothered to read the first part of my comment you'd notice I talked about which team I believe is the most improved over the Coyotes. Way to write a false narrative though!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Florida went from a record of 17-18-6, which was 26th in the NHL, to a record of 27-12-3, 5th best in the NHL in the second half.

Philadelphia went from a record of 18-15-8, 24th in the NHL at the midway point, to 25-11-6, 8th best in the NHL in the second half.

Anaheim went from a record of 19-14-8, 21st in the NHL half way through, to 26-11-5, 6th best in the NHL from the mid-point on.

Pittsburgh was 20-18-3, 20th in the NHL midway through the season. They finished up with a record of 28-11-3, 3rd best in the NHL after the midway point.

I apologize for not accepting Chayka's words as gospel and poking holes in the suggestion that they Coyotes are the most improved team in the league, no matter whatever dates you want to cherry pick (which I just proved is statistically and factually incorrect).

Better luck next time.

So Philadelphia had 7 more wins in their 2nd half record compared to their first half, Anaheim had 7, Pittsburgh had 8. Last I checked, 7, 7, and 8 are less than 11.

Math is hard. But nice try trying to obfuscate relative rankings with absolute measures.

Reactions: BigDoaner

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
An absolute measure is that the Coyotes had the 19th best record in the second half of the season. An absolute measure is that the Coyotes finished with the same exact amount of points as they did last season, with one less win overall compared to last season.

Perhaps they should raise a banner to celebrate this mark.

"Most improved team in the NHL." *
(*in the second half of the season where only wins are measured and not overall record)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Better luck next time.

Segments
1. 21gp: 3-15-3: 9pts (.214P% = 35pts/82gp pace)
2. 20gp: 6-12-2: 14pts (.35P% = 57pts/82gp pace)
3. 20gp: 9-6-5: 23pts (.575P% = 94pts/82gp pace)
4. 21gp: 11-8-2: 24pts (.571P% = 94pt/82gp pace)

Halves
1. 41gp: 9-27-5 23pts (.280P% = 46pts/82gp pace)
2. 41gp 20-14-7 47pts (.573P% = 94pts/82gp pace)

The Coyotes improved a lot from the 1st half to the 2nd half. They more than doubled their pace. I don't think any other team did that. Therefore, it stands to reason that they were the most improved team this season.

rt

May 13, 2004
They had a really good second half of the season and he’s probably just pumping his team up
Anyway, it's nice that all of the Coyotes are feeling good and positive and looking forward to next season. The Sabres are cannibalizing themselves and the Canadiens seem to be close behind. Edmonton seems to have knives poised, too. Things were feeling extremely toxic in Arizona at the end of last season, so we can relate. Chayka and Barroway completely cleaned out. It took a long time to adjust but once the team got on track, there have been positives galore. Having said that, the Edmonton Oilers sure felt pretty good about themselves a year ago. Things can change quickly.

rt

May 13, 2004
Statements like this really make me roll my eyes. Chayka needs to use context such as the fact that the Coyotes were playing fantastic hockey post ASG and once Tocchet got his system implemented the Coyotes were a true pain in the ass to play against and could seemingly win on any given night. If he is going to say something like that it needs to be done like that.

Give the man 2 hours of Yzerman death stare as a punishment
I mean, he pretty much did. Did you happen to watch the press conference, or are you reacting to a tweet of a snippet without any context?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean, he pretty much did. Did you happen to watch the press conference, or are you reacting to a tweet of a snippet without any context?
Can't say I have I'm too busy trying to pull off a coup in the bandwagon draft. If Chayka gave context then I stand corrected and say no more

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
This is what happens when you let a glorified nerd become your GM. Stats mean nothing if you have no eye or experience in evaluting skill and talent.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If his point is "improved during the season" and not "improved from last year" he's right.
How much of the improved performance is on goaltending though? Hasn't Raanta (spelling?) been God tier lately?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad