John Chayka: "We’re probably the most improved team in the league.”

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wouldn't agree they are the most improved team, whether you go by season to season or over the course of the season, but at the very least they aren't the laughing stock of the league, and they have a good future looking forward.

Oct 18, 2011
The Coyotes were tied for 16th in the NHL and tied for 8th in the West since January 1st despite playing the fewest games of any team in the league in 2018. Now that Raanta is extended I bet they push for a playoff spot next year. Chaykas a good GM.
Chayka is delusional teams do these things every year in meaningless games. I'm sure he has a stat tho

Reactions: razor8 and hotpaws

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
They played a solid second half. I like a lot of their young guys. If Raanta can sustain that play over a full season, they have a promising future!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
At the down the stretch end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if the Yotes won four in a row. At the beginning I expected them to lose four in a row. Never mind the overall season stats. The team is trying to emerge from the darkness. It's a lot like when the Kings emerged in 2012. The team got key additional players halfway through. They were red hot at the end of the season and that's all that mattered.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
If his point is "improved during the season" and not "improved from last year" he's right.
How much of the improved performance is on goaltending though? Hasn't Raanta (spelling?) been God tier lately?

It was pretty much even. The defense was shutting down high scoring chances and allowing shots from less threatening areas. The offense put it together and had better possession numbers.

It was much more of a team effort than HF is portraying it as.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

Funny claim to make when you consider the fact that the Coyotes finished this season with the exact same amount of points as they did last season with 70. Oh, and they had one less win this season than the year prior.

Maybe there's some advanced stat that makes him feel better about the job he is doing? Regardless of that, it's a rather silly comment to make when you look at how much teams like the Avs and Devils improved compared to last season.

I mean, "improvement" is a relative measure so I guess he is right: the Yotes went from being a historically bad at the start of the season team to just a lottery team.

Someone give that man an award...

it should be engraved "participation".

Reactions: hotpaws

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
To those who keep pointing out the fact that Chayka's comments concern the second half of the season...

Team Game Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

If the link works properly, it's a table showing the record of teams after the midway point of the season, in which the Coyotes were 19th in the league with a record of 20-15-7 in their final 42 games. By what measure were they the most improved team?

Keep reaching for the stars.

Sometimes even simple things can be complex I guess. Keep your head up Ziggy. It will make sense one day.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
he probably means improved as in from the first half of the season compared to the 2nd half

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Statements like this really make me roll my eyes. Chayka needs to use context such as the fact that the Coyotes were playing fantastic hockey post ASG and once Tocchet got his system implemented the Coyotes were a true pain in the ass to play against and could seemingly win on any given night. If he is going to say something like that it needs to be done like that.

Give the man 2 hours of Yzerman death stare as a punishment

Yup. Apparently Chayka is guilty of not qualifying his comments in a way HFB can understand what he was saying when you only get outtakes.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
If only you knew how bad things really are

771ECAED-3767-4CDF-B64B-8D17153C2039.jpeg

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
To those who keep pointing out the fact that Chayka's comments concern the second half of the season...

Team Game Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

If the link works properly, it's a table showing the record of teams after the midway point of the season, in which the Coyotes were 19th in the league with a record of 20-15-7 in their final 42 games. By what measure were they the most improved team?

Keep reaching for the stars.

Lots of people have already tried to explain this to you. Perhaps some numbers will help:

NHL 2018 Points.jpg

It's worth noting that Pittsburgh is the playoff team with the most improved record, while Tampa and Vegas are the playoff teams with the least improved records.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The Avalanche had a historically bad season last year and nearly doubled their point total, going from dead last to being a playoff team and they didn't even have a top 3 pick! Chayka is a goof for this statement.

Also, if you're only looking at this season. I know he's looking for a silver lining, but going from absolute trash to improving to still effectively under .500 (20-17-4) is hardly something to hang your hat on.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
The Avalanche had a historically bad season last year and nearly doubled their point total, going from dead last to being a playoff team and they didn't even have a top 3 pick! Chayka is a goof for this statement.

Also, if you're only looking at this season. I know he's looking for a silver lining, but going from absolute trash to improving to still effectively under .500 (20-17-4) is hardly something to hang your hat on.

Chayka's statement is absolutely correct as evidenced by the table I posted above. In case you missed it, Arizona's second half results were 24 points better than the first half. The next best team was Florida with a 16 point improvement.

I know that many people will choose to ignore the evidence and put their preconceived bias on display for all to see. Are you one of these people?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Chayka's statement is absolutely correct as evidenced by the table I posted above. In case you missed it, Arizona's second half results were 24 points better than the first half. The next best team was Florida with a 16 point improvement.

I know that many people will choose to ignore the evidence and put their preconceived bias on display for all to see. Are you one of these people?
.... lol...... the condescension is almost palpable... Did you even read the second half of my comment?

They were way underperforming in the first half of the season and they "improved" to still under .500. I said, I understand he's looking for a silver lining and wants to pump his team's tires a bit, but going from atrocious to below average is nothing to write home about. THAT is why I called him a "goof" for this statement.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They brought in good players, and after a terrible start they finally started to gel together. Chayka will probably acquire more good players in the offseason too. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a big forward next season.
Agreed. People have ripped him this year. I expect in a few years, they'll be singing his praises. I don't have a crystal ball, but I like the moves he's made for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad