John Chayka: "We’re probably the most improved team in the league.”

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Just saying last year the Avs were dead last, could'nt trade duchenne, MacKinnon was a disappointment and everying ducks fir them. The Avs gm(Joe) was considered one of the worst. This season their young players were able to blossom and they made the playoffs. Now everyone thinks Joe is a great gm. Give chayka a season I think he has the yotes in the playoff next season. Strome has started to come along well from what I saw. Keller is comparable to marner(a elite winger talent). They have great pieces on the back end. Predict domi gets 65 points next year, Dvorak becomes a 50+ point center and the coyotes make it as the 1st wildcard next season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Let's use some critical thinking, here. He obviously meant from the start of this season to the end of this season. He's aware that his team finished 3rd to last. He did't forget that the Coyotes didn't improve in the standings from last season.
He's obviously talking about the second half, and I think everyone knows that, but people just look for a reason to crucify this guy because he's a #nerd

Reactions: Name Nameless

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
"orlyjn?"

cut.jpeg
You know nothing, John Chayaka
maxresdefault.jpg

watch

Reactions: hamzarocks

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
OP obviously isn't wearing a critical thinking cap. I don't think it's controversial to say that given the 2018 the Yotes had compared to the tire fire of the first 20 or so games that we probably were the most improved team over the course of this season.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Avalanche
2016-17 seaon 22-56-4 48 points to 2017-18 season 43-30-9 95 points becoming a playoff team is a big improvement but maybe he didn't notice the change in the standing because he didn't look at it and instead only looked at teams advanced stats or something.

If he was talking about something else he should specially mention it or he looks foolish.

Reactions: hamzarocks

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
From the start of this season? I guess so, yeah. But that says way more about how terribly they underachieved to start the season than it does about how they finished.

It’s kind of like how the Avs were a lock to be the most improved team from last season to this season. When you start at the bottom...

Reactions: romao

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Raanta carried them through the start of 2018. Let's see them continue with the new Raanta contract and go from there.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Improving from one of the worst teams in the history of the sport, to finishing 3rd worst is an improvement, sure. They should be aiming higher. However, I think they got something like 25 of 40 possible points in their last 20 games, so that's something.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
From the start of this season? I guess so, yeah. But that says way more about how terribly they underachieved to start the season than it does about how they finished.
New ownership, and totally new coaching staff with a 180 difference in philosophy from the last staff. Threw Doan out on his ass, and brought in an entirely new leadership transplant. Tons of young players and tons of new faces. Plus Raanta was hurt and Domingue absolutely and catastrophically shit the bed like I've never seen. It was a Rick Ankiel-esque career meltdown. Didn't help that Hjalmarsson and Chychrun were hurt, too. Things took a while to come together and for guys to get reasonably healthy. Things seem to have gelled and everyone seems to feel pretty good about everything right now.

rt

May 13, 2004
Avalanche
2016-17 seaon 22-56-4 48 points to 2017-18 season 43-30-9 95 points becoming a playoff team is a big improvement but maybe he didn't notice the change in the standing because he didn't look at it and instead only looked at teams advanced stats or something.

If he was talking about something else he should specially mention it or he looks foolish.
It was implicit. He was expecting people to be able to keep up. Looks like it was a mistake.

Reactions: Machinehead

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If he means 2018, he's correct. Healthy Rants and a breakout Strome could make them a playoff team next year...especially if they get the #1 pick and have two #1 Dmen.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
He's obviously talking about the second half, and I think everyone knows that, but people just look for a reason to crucify this guy because he's a #nerd
If he "obviously" is talking about the second half, he should say that. Because by looking at the results of last year versus the year before, the team is not obviously the most improved team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I didn't write or tweet the quote and I am going verbatim from what he said.

But thankfully we have you mindreaders here who can tell us exactly what he is trying to say when he didn't state that specifically.

It also doesn't change the fact that the Coyotes finished with the same exact amount of points as last season.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Because advanced stats

Yes hfboards HATES advanced stats that's why everyone prematurely gave Chayka credit and expected much better out of the Coyotes this season. Any gm who was caught bragging about anything in a year ending press conference where his team blew is going to get ridiculed. I mean good for them for playing better down the stretch I still really need to see people's standing predictions for next year if they think playoffs are in the cards.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They Aren't improved at all teams that improve actually do better.

I am convinced a monkey could do a better job.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes hfboards HATES advanced stats that's why everyone prematurely gave Chayka credit and expected much better out of the Coyotes this season. Any gm who was caught bragging about anything in a year ending press conference where his team blew is going to get ridiculed. I mean good for them for playing better down the stretch I still really need to see people's standing predictions for next year if they think playoffs are in the cards.

Very few people did that and the rest of the forum reacted with the usual vitriol.

Don't move the goalposts to "bragging." If any other GM said this, people would just assume he meant over the course of the year. But it's Chayka.

rt

May 13, 2004

But thankfully we have you mindreaders here who can tell us exactly what he is trying to say when he didn't state that specifically.

It also doesn't change the fact that the Coyotes finished with the same exact amount of points as last season.
Some of us watched the interview. There isn't any mind reading required. You're last sentence proves that you still don't understand. Yikes.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Doesn't take a mindreader to figure out that a lot of you on this thread failed contextual deduction in school.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
HF: "Those advanced stats are out of context!!!!!11!!"

Also HF: *takes a quote completely out of context to bash advanced stats*

Reactions: Kimahri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad