Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
I think $8.5m X 8 would be the magic number for Carlson. Another team would have to bid $9.7m per year X 7 to beat that number. Is there anyone out there crazy enough to offer that much? (maybe I shouldn't underestimate their desperation to find an elusive big-minute blueliner)

That said, hopefully we could do it for closer to 8m.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think $8.5m X 8 would be the magic number for Carlson. Another team would have to bid $9.7m per year X 7 to beat that number. Is there anyone out there crazy enough to offer that much? (maybe I shouldn't underestimate their desperation to find an elusive big-minute blueliner)

That said, hopefully we could do it for closer to 8m.

A 7 year deal leaves him a UFA at 35. If he keeps up his play he could probably swing another 7 year retirement deal then. At 36 UFA the aav on his next contract would be substantially lower I don't see the 8th year as an attractive bargaining chip here

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sticking to my guns - BMac WAS desperate to sell parts, to get Carlson inked before Sunday. It's nice to hear the reports that a deal is imminent. He was maybe even more desperate than I thought he would be but time was clearly of the essence.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Operator18

Jun 9, 2018
And I will say this for all those disparaging the city you grew up in, OCMD isn't all that bad. Sure some degenerates may visit from time to time in the summer and places like Seacrets can be uninhabitable for long stretches of time, but there is also a lot to do, a bunch of restaurants, and staying north of 5oth street or so (save the stretch by the highrises) is nothing like staying on the boardwalk.

It also has some pretty nice golf courses and some lower budget ones that aren't nearly as bad as the lower budget ones in the DC area all in close proximity.
This thread is evidence enough that people have a wide array of preferences when it comes to their beach towns. No one place is for everyone.

You alluded to some of it, but the OC experience can vary greatly depending on what month (or even what week) you visit, and where exactly you stay. As far as living here goes, while the number of quality job opportunities leaves something to be desired, it's a great place to grow up/raise a family.

Oh, and back on topic, glad it's looking like we'll be retaining Carlson. That would just be way too big a hole in the lineup to let him walk for nothing. The Karlsson talk is a pipe dream imo.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If you are Carlson and even heavily leaning towards staying in DC, don't you wait until midnight to hear what your full options are? It's not like we can go sign some other UFA and him get Belanger'd.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If his agent is worth a dime he can probably predict all the other options within a couple hundred grand.

If I'm Carlson I get them to frontload the contract as much as possible and lockout proof it. A lot more money in that than in fighting over 500k a year

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Turns out getting cap space needed to sign everyone may have been the easy part.... I expected BMac to have to squirm so this is not unexpected.

Carlson's agent can now ask for more from us what with the cap relief we got. A lot changed in the past 24 hours. I think JC will still have to take a clear discount to stay here.

IMHO salaries will be discussed at 1201.

Get it done Brian!

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
RH may be on to something here. Carly and his agent probably had a certain not-too-painful-for-the-Caps number in mind, and then BMac's magic makes them rethink their ask. Get some offers beginning tomorrow and use them to push the Caps higher.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I hope it gets done before the 26th.

I think that extra year should really mean something to Carlson, and the chance to stay where you have been for the last eight years and still be close to "home" in NJ.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ever heard of Chris Pronger? Any team would do it if it's a chance to get a top pairing RHD in free agency and get 4-5 solid years from him.
Holmgren didn't understand the CBA when he signed that contract. He thought it wouldn't be a 35+ contract because Pronger was 34 when it was inked (even though he'd be 35 when it went into effect).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Every hour that passes between now and midnight likely adds another 100K to what BMac offers....

So is it illegal for teams to discuss any financial options at all? Note I am certain rough numbers are exchanged, regardless.

I am quickly growing more skeptical than I was 24 hours ago, after looking at this link

The 25 highest-paid players in the NHL

We may need predictions of what the max offer he receives is. I was at 9.5 but thinking 10 is not far.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Gilligans Island is not far at all from Jersey.

Who is most likely to offer Carlson the biggest offer? I have contended McPhee from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad