Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Wonder how much that extra year that the Capitals can offer that other teams cannot would come into play in Carlson's decision making.
At his age, it's gotta be significant. But if some team is willing to offer him $10M AAV, that'll make up the difference in money the extra year would get him.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Good point. I hope the next CBA bumps up that number of years in an attempt to stop the near constant shuffling of players to different teams that has become common place. The moving of players makes it difficult for teams to build an identity, and instead have to focus on creating a team of interchangeable parts. It also makes it tough on the fans/kids to have a favorite player. Poof, he is gone, since you know, he was good.

Yes I am still pissed we didn't match the offer for Scott Stevens.

I an only an observer of sports marketing etc, but creating an identity both in terms of recognizable players and team character/style would seem to play a role in both maintaining the investment of dedicated fans as well as developing interest among casual and non-fans.

But signing guys to long-term deals who don't perform at their salary level can hamstring a team and lead to loss of both types of fans.

I fear if the new CBA moves to 9 yrs with the current team and retains 7 yrs for signings with other teams, you risk more $ potentially tied up in under-performing players. Is retaining 8 yrs with current team and dropping to 6 yrs for a new team better?

I'd like to see a provision for option year(s) added to the CBA in some form and a slight reduction in the maximum term. For a max deal of let's say 7/6 years, during the year prior to the contract's final year, both sides can agree to extend for up to 2 additional years at an amount 10% (?) above the current contract number. You'd still see some movement but if most of these players are 33-35 at this stage, there may not be many departures, and teams can avoid at least a year of a bad deal if the player's not performing.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Jun 15, 2007
So does Trotz leaving change anything for John Carlson? Do we know if he had any special affinity for Trotz?

Kuz

May 11, 2015
When you know Hedman got 7,875 cap hit over 8 years last year you hope Carlson also takes a discount to 7,5.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So does Trotz leaving change anything for John Carlson? Do we know if he had any special affinity for Trotz?

Special affinity, we wouldn't know, but who didn't like Trotz. I assume he likes Reirden. The only thing to me remains the delay in naming Reirden. How long does it take to ask Ovi and Nick, are you good with Todd? Every day that Todd is not named, casts doubt on his likely future here from the UFA's perspective. Will UFAs wait to know our coach before deciding where to land? They are only going to wait so long. Isn't there a negotiating period starting in 4 days?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Special affinity, we wouldn't know, but who didn't like Trotz. I assume he likes Reirden. The only thing to me remains the delay in naming Reirden. How long does it take to ask Ovi and Nick, are you good with Todd? Every day that Todd is not named, casts doubt on his likely future here from the UFA's perspective. Will UFAs wait to know our coach before deciding where to land? They are only going to wait so long. Isn't there a negotiating period starting in 4 days?
I believe Mac mentioned that he wanted to give Todd a real interview and with the truncated time schedule that might take a bit to fit in.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I believe Mac mentioned that he wanted to give Todd a real interview and with the truncated time schedule that might take a bit to fit in.

Yeah I heard that. And its fine, but it really should be concluding real soon. The hangup is probably coin. Am I the only one that foresees a hangup, based on Reirden being low balled?

Rids will call it a crack conspiracy but somethings going on, more than just Barry chasing money. I wonder if Dick and Ted lost a little faith in BMac, and dont want to sign off on Reirden so fast.

It's just a very odd and rare situation, for a dead man walking and being helped to the door by our GM as he showed his allegiance to his assistant, to win a cup. Awkward times at Kettler.

Reirden: 6 figures?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yeah I heard that. And its fine, but it really should be concluding real soon. The hangup is probably coin. Am I the only one that foresees a hangup, based on Reirden being low balled?

Rids will call it a crack conspiracy but somethings going on, more than just Barry chasing money. I wonder if Dick and Ted lost a little faith in BMac, and dont want to sign off on Reirden so fast.

It's just a very odd and rare situation, for a dead man walking and being helped to the door by our GM as he showed his allegiance to his assistant, to win a cup. Awkward times at Kettler.

Reirden: 6 figures?
There could be all sorts of clauses in the Associate Coach contract he signed, we have no idea. I agree, it shouldn't be hard to carve out an hour or two to interview someone, but my guess is that Mac wanted to be able to focus on the draft. Something should happen beginning of next week.

In John Carlson news, he was vacationing in Ocean City, MD this week. That does not seem like a guy ready to leave. What kind millionaire vacations in OCMD, if the person does not own a place and enjoys its close proximity.

Technically it could be about flying with the newborn, but I will live in my fantasy world where John Carlson loves OCMD.

Last edited:

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Bethany Beach in DE is a great family beach and it's 2:30-2:45 from D.C.

Too crowded. We'd go to the beach early and get a good spot with some breathing room and by 12 all the breathing room was gone. People squeezing their crap into any vacant bit of sand. Breathing room is nice with kids. For a week long beach vaca I'll take the couple extra hours in the car to be at OBX over Delmar beaches every single time.

Hell, if Johnny resigns I'll personally drive his ass to OBX every summer

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Too crowded. We'd go to the beach early and get a good spot with some breathing room and by 12 all the breathing room was gone. People squeezing their crap into any vacant bit of sand. Breathing room is nice with kids. For a week long beach vaca I'll take the couple extra hours in the car to be at OBX over Delmar beaches every single time.

Hell, if Johnny resigns I'll personally drive his ass to OBX every summer

Fair. Bethany Beach has become super packed as Rehoboth as become increasingly expensive. My family has a house there so we're there most weekends during the summer. For a week long trip we'd probably venture further out. I do love Cape May.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Where? My aunt and uncle had a house in Sea Isle for years that we'd always go to.
My parents have a place in OCNJ. Going there this weekend actually.

I grew up going to SIC every summer before my parents bought the place in OCNJ. Wow have things changed there the past 4-5 years! The latest news is that the LaCosta is being torn down and redeveloped in 2 years

Reactions: calicapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cap is going up to $79.5M, that's a $4.5M increase. Should be able to fit Carlson at $8M. Ditch Jerabek, Chiasson, Beagle and DSP, trade Burakovsky, sign Wilson and Carlson. Fill the rest of the roster with guys like Gersich, Walker, Boyd and Bowey.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Someone is going to step up and offer Carlson 9.5, right? I am thinking 10 is not out of the question.

Jun 15, 2007
Someone is going to step up and offer Carlson 9.5, right? I am thinking 10 is not out of the question.
I think so too. At this point I'm very pessimistic he will sign with us.

Carlson at 10m is only 12.5% of the cap. The Bruins way back in 2006 signed Chara for 7.5m when the cap was only 44m. That's 17%.

A team with ambition will step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad