Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So much doom and gloom around here! Guys, especially @RandyHolt, @Dumb and nobody, @Capitals40, and @peterthegreat12, I hear that you're stressed and unhappy, and I have some news that might cheer you up. You may not have heard, but...

THE CAPS ARE THE 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!

I know it's hard to believe, but I promise, it's true.

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I think so too. At this point I'm very pessimistic he will sign with us.

Carlson at 10m is only 12.5% of the cap. The Bruins way back in 2006 signed Chara for 7.5m when the cap was only 44m. That's 17%.

A team with ambition will step up.
Do you remember prime Chara?

Prime Chara was so much more dominant than Carlson is.

Jun 15, 2007
Do you remember prime Chara?

Prime Chara was so much more dominant than Carlson is.
Wasn't comparing their playing abilities at all. And when Boston signed him no one yet knew he was gonna become that good for them.

Jun 15, 2007
I actually just looked at young Bergevin pictures. I can see it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So much doom and gloom around here! Guys, especially @RandyHolt, @Dumb and nobody, @Capitals40, and @peterthegreat12, I hear that you're stressed and unhappy, and I have some news that might cheer you up. You may not have heard, but...

THE CAPS ARE THE 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!

I know it's hard to believe, but I promise, it's true.

Unhappy? Don't misconstrue discussions with doom. I see as much worrying from the other side. Life without Carlson phobia. Our PP needs him. No one else can make uncontested passes to Ovi. Push all in on the 2 year window. We need to jettison Orpik, which is kind of mind boggling with only a year left. Bura has to go. Sharing thoughts here takes on all different forms.

I am more dooming and glooming about my caps merchandise.

Personally I really don't think wanting a coach in place for the draft, free agency, and very quickly, dcamp, constitutes doom and gloom. It seems more like common sense to me. Lucky we are not heavy into FA so not having a coaching staff nor assistants is only significant for Carlson. But he is a big piece, right? I figured the framework for Todd's contract, clearing him with players and Dick, was all largely in place 10 months ago :dunno:

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
In all my trips to Kettler, Carlson and his wife garner the most comments about how nice they are. What this has to do with the beach, I have no idea. But I thought I would share in light of the recent unpleasantness in Ottawa.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Unhappy? Don't misconstrue discussions with doom. I see as much worrying from the other side. Life without Carlson phobia. Our PP needs him. No one else can make uncontested passes to Ovi. :dunno:

The same thing was said when Green left and Carlson took Greens spot. PP was basically no different. Caps always had a high percentage whether it was Green or Carlson.

I want to keep Carlson, but when you have Ovi, Oshie, Backstrom, and Kuzy as 4 of the 5 guys - It’s not as big of a deal as some making it.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Born and raised in OC. Carlson vacations here every summer.
And I will say this for all those disparaging the city you grew up in, OCMD isn't all that bad. Sure some degenerates may visit from time to time in the summer and places like Seacrets can be uninhabitable for long stretches of time, but there is also a lot to do, a bunch of restaurants, and staying north of 5oth street or so (save the stretch by the highrises) is nothing like staying on the boardwalk.

It also has some pretty nice golf courses and some lower budget ones that aren't nearly as bad as the lower budget ones in the DC area all in close proximity.

Reactions: Operator18

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Unhappy? Don't misconstrue discussions with doom. I see as much worrying from the other side. Life without Carlson phobia. Our PP needs him. No one else can make uncontested passes to Ovi. Push all in on the 2 year window. We need to jettison Orpik, which is kind of mind boggling with only a year left. Bura has to go. Sharing thoughts here takes on all different forms.

I am more dooming and glooming about my caps merchandise.

Personally I really don't think wanting a coach in place for the draft, free agency, and very quickly, dcamp, constitutes doom and gloom. It seems more like common sense to me. Lucky we are not heavy into FA so not having a coaching staff nor assistants is only significant for Carlson. But he is a big piece, right? I figured the framework for Todd's contract, clearing him with players and Dick, was all largely in place 10 months ago :dunno:
I guess I don’t think there are sides. There are folks who are worried and folks who aren’t. Regarding Carlson, I think they should keep him because he’s a terrific player, and I don’t get too twisted up about the cap space. As to the coach, it’s clear that GMBM ain’t worried, and I’m not either. He built this team not for Trotz but for the league as it is today and that’s why he wants Reirden too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad