Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be very surprised if Carlson's camp didn't already have a pretty good idea of the market for him. With Tavares seemingly narrowing it down to five teams right off the bat tomorrow, Carlson becomes the more widespread best player available if he wants to open it up and at least listen. If he absolutely wants to chase the money and keeps upping the ask for the Caps then so be it. It does need to fit structurally with what they can do to best secure him long-term and still be able to round out a competitive roster around him. We'll see. It's not like $8.25ish isn't a top 15 AAV at the moment. I'd be interested in how they'd go about replacing him but no question that would be a tough task.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Holmgren didn't understand the CBA when he signed that contract. He thought it wouldn't be a 35+ contract because Pronger was 34 when it was inked (even though he'd be 35 when it went into effect).

Ok, Marleau got a 3 year contract that takes him to 41 or 42, and he's a winger not a RHD and the team getting him wouldn't be getting his 35-38 season.

A team desperate for a high end D would give out that contract any day. If Chara hit FA he'd have been signed to like 45. Even if it's a 5 year 35-40 contract they'd overpay for the last few to get 2-3 years of high end play.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A 7 year deal leaves him a UFA at 35. If he keeps up his play he could probably swing another 7 year retirement deal then. At 36 UFA the aav on his next contract would be substantially lower I don't see the 8th year as an attractive bargaining chip here

Another 7 year deal at 35? I doubt it, how many of those have been handed out?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What's probably happening is gmbm is at 7.5 mil, carlson wants 8 mil. Carlson trying to make caps panic. Caps panic, he gets the 8 mil. The end

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What's probably happening is gmbm is at 7.5 mil, carlson wants 8 mil. Carlson trying to make caps panic. Caps panic, he gets the 8 mil. The end
If it were that simple I think it would be done already. It's likely going to be more than that at this point, likely with the OEL contract as a starting point. My guess is he sees what the market will bear and maybe circles back to see if the Caps will match (or come closer).

Certainly I'd be exploring alternatives and other ways of using that cap space potentially either via UFA or trade. The number of impact UFAs whether it's at RD or W is pretty thin, though. They could maybe make a trade for a RD and have cap space left over not just for Wilson, Kempny, DSP and perhaps Beagle but maybe also a top nine wing upgrade and a more legit backup.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i just dont see how gmbm basically says a deal was close and to be done in 24 hours if he doesnt think its close. but what do i know lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad