Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes. The idea was that Carlson with a year left on his deal could bring back a big return. That would be a better deal than keeping Carlson and losing Shattenkirk for nothing.
Thank god we didn't sign him. I didn't like the deal when we made it. I knew what kind of player he was when he played for the Blues.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm not following the general medias in hockey like in past years. What they're saying about him? Is he hyped as he should be or not?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would put Carlson in the Backstrom basket. He looks like he is not doing anything and where are no obvious numbers to prove otherwise, that is the default. The media isn't paying that much attention. HF posters aren't impressed at all

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I would put Carlson in the Backstrom basket. He looks like he is not doing anything and where are no obvious numbers to prove otherwise, that is the default. The media isn't paying that much attention. HF posters aren't impressed at all
He doesn't get the recognition because he isn't a flashy player and he isn't in one of the bigger hockey markets. As Alan May said his game isn't flashy but very efficient. I couldn't agree more. He is making very good decisions with and without the puck.
People can't even use the excuse that he is on a potent ppm and that's how he is getting all his production. He is killing it 5 on 5. I hope his strong play continues.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Yes JC is killing it 5 vs 5. Not many Dman can be as solid in Dzone while putting up these points. That pass to Orlov on the Dowd goal is elite and ***** of steel. Cross ice at the blue line while under pressure. So effortless, but so easy to mess up as well. He nailed it.

His biggest issue is that he's not so fleet of foot or agile like a Karlsson. And having his current partner be similar isn't helpful. But he's smart with how he uses his size and stick in the corners since he can't win 50-50 races to loose pucks like nearly 90% of Dmen. He's not taking too many penalties either... except for the good one like last night.

Ah I wish I could go back to the Alzner Carlson threads from so many years ago.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He doesn't get the recognition because he isn't a flashy player and he isn't in one of the bigger hockey markets. As Alan May said his game isn't flashy but very efficient. I couldn't agree more. He is making very good decisions with and without the puck.
People can't even use the excuse that he is on a potent ppm and that's how he is getting all his production. He is killing it 5 on 5. I hope his strong play continues.

A lot of people here complain about him. It's easy to see why a fan in Chicago wouldn't be

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
He was 4th in Norris voting last year, 5th the year before, if he puts up 85+ points he’ll have the votes, currently on pace for like 155

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
He was 4th in Norris voting last year, 5th the year before, if he puts up 85+ points he’ll have the votes, currently on pace for like 155
"well yeah John Carlson led the league in scoring by a defenseman, but he was 5th from the all star break on. We should really reward players who turn it on down the stretch..." - Norris voter

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yes. The idea was that Carlson with a year left on his deal could bring back a big return. That would be a better deal than keeping Carlson and losing Shattenkirk for nothing.

Sure, it's easy to take shots now but it wasn't an unreasonable take at the time. Carlson was half the player he is now and far less consistent. The conversation, from what I recall, was also heavily steered towards asset management, i.e. are the Caps better with Carlson or a 1st + prospect + Shattenkirk.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Sure, it's easy to take shots now but it wasn't an unreasonable take at the time. Carlson was half the player he is now and far less consistent. The conversation, from what I recall, was also heavily steered towards asset management, i.e. are the Caps better with Carlson or a 1st + prospect + Shattenkirk.
He was coming off of two very good years before, I’d take those two years over Greeny’s prime for two way play and the playoffs, that year he looked hurt. The two years before that year and the 2 years after were a normal progression, that year and this year stand out as the outliers.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Shots are at those who thought he was half the player he is now. Thats bs really.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's not how I remember it but I could very well be wrong. I remember him having struggled with injuries for parts of the two prior seasons and there being concerns around if he'd get reach his potential as a bonafide 1RD which is why the discussion was happening in the first place.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Shots are at those who thought he was half the player he is now. Thats bs really.

yeah I disagree too, he was no less than 3/4 of the player he is now.

He got a little luck on the health side and he’s been able to raise his game from those years.

I don’t count off for injuries that are random throughout the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
yeah I disagree too, he was no less than 3/4 of the player he is now.

He got a little luck on the health side and he’s been able to raise his game from those years.

I don’t count off for injuries that are random throughout the years.
This. He was never projected as a Doughty-style #1 right out of the gate. But he's been consistently stout. People forget that Carlzner was probably the best young D pair in the league before Alzner started breaking down. But 74 has been improving apace in the years since, despite the injury setbacks. The calls to kick him to curb just as he was reaching his prime were just plain nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad