Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I get memed on HFBoards when I call him a top 6 defenseman

Carlson is great every year and he can do a bit of everything. Nothing about his game really stands out to a huge degree though. He is simply very good at everything. I think this contributes to him being a less sexy pick.

Take Erik Karlsson for example. He sucks at defense, very badly at times. But he can skate like the wind and he's great at puck possession when he's at the top of his game. It's extremely noticeable.

Or Drew Doughty - he is a tougher and rougher player than Carlson. It's fun to watch.

Burns has a better shot than Carlson - although Carlson has a very good shot as well.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He is a very good all round defenseman. He is better defensively than he is given credit for. With his size I would like to see him a little more physical though.

Jun 15, 2007
This year is probably his best and last chance to win a Norris.

You usually need to be in consideration to win it in the years before to actually win it.

The usual favourites like Karlsson and Doughty are slowing down.

Guys like Giordano and Hedman have one, so will get less votes.

With Niskanen and Orpik gone, Carlson has to be Mr. Everything.

If he doesn't win this year his chances look pretty bad. Dahlin looks like a multiple winner.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think I remember the time when some here claimed Niskanen is better than Carlson and Carlson should be traded as soon to be UFA

Maybe Im getting older and have lost something inside my memory

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think I remember the time when some here claimed Niskanen is better than Carlson and Carlson should be traded as soon to be UFA

Maybe Im getting older and have lost something inside my memory
You’re not wrong. It’s not hard to guess who those posters were, either.

Jun 15, 2007
Think back... So many people here argued the Caps should let Carlson go and try to sign Karlsson...

And some wonder why their constant complaining about every GMBM move is met with derision.

How could anyone argue that if they were UFAs in different years?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Think back... So many people here argued the Caps should let Carlson go and try to sign Karlsson...

And some wonder why their constant complaining about every GMBM move is met with derision.

Do you remember the trade Carlson and sign Shattenkirk position?

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can eat a little crow on my opinion on Carlson. He had a few years of injuries where he wasn't great and I had a concern they would be a chronic issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I also didn't realize how bad his partners were, especially when he was reunited with a gimpy Alzner in 2017 and that pairing stank. I don't know if any defender could have played alongside 2017 Alzner and looked good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can eat a little crow on my opinion on Carlson. He had a few years of injuries where he wasn't great and I had a concern they would be a chronic issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I also didn't realize how bad his partners were, especially when he was reunited with a gimpy Alzner in 2017 and that pairing stank. I don't know if any defender could have played alongside 2017 Alzner and looked good.

He had a sprained ankle and then apparently a blocked shot injury from the world cup. As to Alzner, I thought Niskanen looked pretty good next to Alzner. Unless, I mean, if you are just looking at the analytics. Then what they look like is irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad