Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Do they have any prospects that don't automatically get labelled as bottom 6 ceilings? :naughty:
Like maybe 2 or 3. And its not our fault they keep drafting players who project to round out a 4th line as an impact grinder. Lol.

On beechers speed. How fast is he? Is he just fast. Or is he mcdavid or mackinnon fast? Because in order to be fast in my book, you have to be like holy shit fast in order for me to register that as a useful skill. I mean everyone always said senyshyn was fast, and maybe he was. But he definitely didnt seem noticeably faster than anyone else in any game i saw. So i guess the question is, is he transcendently fast, or just like coyle fast? Because speed means nothing to me if it isnt something that actually impacts the game on tv

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I always read what you say ( sometimes you fire sarcasm )and your thoughts on him would be great 👍
My Beecher assessment
I always read what you say ( sometimes you fire sarcasm )and your thoughts on him would be great 👍
He’s got the size and skating- good on faceoffs and plays physical. He will be tested early if he plays physical and we will see how he reacts.

I’m going next Tuesday so I can better see if he makes any plays with the puck - does it follow him

In Michigan he was behind so many high end players I didn’t see a lot of it based on roll

I believe he can play the Kuraly role better and give the Bruins a big fast energy center who can kill penalties

When you pick 25-30 you have access to the top bottom 6 forwards in the draft and you can grab size, skating and character -

Also he was in USNDTP so he has a pedigree to get accepted into it

I like the pick and player because my objective would be to build a big tough fast with as much skill that can both answer and start shit

I have no illusions- if he is a valuable 4th liner who shows ability to move up I’ll take it

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
My Beecher assessment

He’s got the size and skating- good on faceoffs and plays physical. He will be tested early if he plays physical and we will see how he reacts.

I’m going next Tuesday so I can better see if he makes any plays with the puck - does it follow him

In Michigan he was behind so many high end players I didn’t see a lot of it based on roll

I believe he can play the Kuraly role better and give the Bruins a big fast energy center who can kill penalties

When you pick 25-30 you have access to the top bottom 6 forwards in the draft and you can grab size, skating and character -

I like the pick and player because my objective would be to build a big tough fast with as much skill that can both answer and start shit

I have no illusions- if he is a valuable 4th liner who shows ability to move up I’ll take it

Heres a random thought that popped in my head. Why did he go to michigan of all teams? Heres a guy who played behind elite talent in the usndtp. Then he goes to michigan which has and had elite talent entering the program that year and the next couple. He had to know his buddies were all going there and he’d get stuck behind them again right? Why not go to basically any other school where he could finally show his offensive game in a top 6 role? Just a random weird thought that popped in my head

Reactions: PepeBostones

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
My Beecher assessment

Sounds good to me.I love his skating.Hoping being at pro level speeds up his development.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Heres a random thought that popped in my head. Why did he go to michigan of all teams? Heres a guy who played behind elite talent in the usndtp. Then he goes to michigan which has and had elite talent entering the program that year and the next couple. He had to know his buddies were all going there and he’d get stuck behind them again right? Why not go to basically any other school where he could finally show his offensive game in a top 6 role? Just a random weird thought that popped in my head
Good and fair question

If it was me I would go there because it’s Big 10 top program; great coaching; training facilities; nutrition; NHL training; academically you are half way there - and the power of the alumni can set you up for life; the social aspect has to be amazing

But if Notre Dame or BC wanted me I would certainly be interested as well

Michigan also can’t roll out all scorers you have to have some defensive players

Beecher was not drafted as a playmaker - those guys or the best went top 15. He’s a guy Boston was likely hoping had a high chance to be a good bottom 6 wing or center who they saw a lot in USNDTP and took

I think he would get to play big role on that team as a defensive center who killed penalties and play in meaningful games

It’s like the Bruins weren’t looking for a sports car but a washing machine

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I think he went there before the elite talent. I can't remember Michigan signing multiple top 5 draft picks prior to this past season.

I don't mind Beecher hes in that Studnicka category of players/prospects to me. I wonder if he had left school the same time McLoughlin did does he get that early look?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Good and fair question

If it was me I would go there because it’s Big 10 top program; great coaching; training facilities; nutrition; NHL training; academically you are half way there - and the power of the alumni can set you up for life; the social aspect has to be amazing

But if Notre Dame or BC wanted me I would certainly be interested as well

Michigan also can’t roll out all scorers you have to have some defensive players

Beecher was not drafted as a playmaker - those guys or the best went top 15. He’s a guy Boston was likely hoping had a high chance to be a good bottom 6 wing or center who they saw a lot in USNDTP and took

I think he would get to play big role on that team as a defensive center who killed penalties and play in meaningful games

It’s like the Bruins weren’t looking for a sports car but a washing machine
I like the analogy, but damn, how many washing machines do we need?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for posting....like this.

Projection and Comparison

Beecher has the size, skating and defensive game to be an effective forward in the NHL. His offensive game shows flashes but questions remain. Will he produce more with more ice time and some opportunities on the power play? Is there untapped offensive potential there? The team that drafts him could have a real steal if they are willing to be patient. His game is reminiscent of Sean Couturier, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

Hmmmm.... dont see it, other than size profile

Beecher is a better/faster skater. Couturier has better offensive instincts.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can you expand... not sure what this means

He can no longer go back to NCAA after signing the ATO. So he really has no option but to sign and ELC with Boston and play in the organization next year.

This is good. Looks like we won't even burn a year of ELC.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Once he signed that ATO with Providence, he became a professional hockey player and lost NCAA eligibility.

He'll be signing an ELC for next season shortly. The only thing to haggle over is Schedule B bonus money, which he won't hit anyway.
This is what I'm looking for... hopefully no problem

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he went there before the elite talent. I can't remember Michigan signing multiple top 5 draft picks prior to this past season.

I don't mind Beecher hes in that Studnicka category of players/prospects to me. I wonder if he had left school the same time McLoughlin did does he get that early look?

It was before Pearson really amped up his recruiting the last two years. His freshman year was the year after QHughes left and two of the top three scorers that year are ECHLer's. It was not a stacked team.

He's a smart kid from what I've seen, plays a workmanlike game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe a potential Nosek replacement, who I liked for the first half of the season. Nosek's play is steady but his lack of finish, even for a 4th liner, is maddening. He gets a lot of prime looks but just can't bury anything.

I'm excited and happy for Beecher. He would be a key young player for the Bruins if he came in and started to shine.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
There was no elite talent when he got there. His freshman team was not that good. The two years after, guys came in and passed him up. He's not a highly skilled player. He does however have traits that should hopefully make him a bottom 6 PK energy guy in the NHL and that's fine when you pick 30th.

Reactions: CDJ and Shane Jazz

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
There was no elite talent when he got there. His freshman team was not that good. The two years after, guys came in and passed him up. He's not a highly skilled player. He does however have traits that should hopefully make him a bottom 6 PK energy guy in the NHL and that's fine when you pick 30th.
Its fine if the guy you pick 30th turns into that. Not super stoked on the idea of specifically targeting a player like that with the 30th pick. Plenty of offensive players turn to a bottom 6 role in the pros. But to draft a bottom 6 player is very very safe

Reactions: BlackCrowes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad