Confirmed with Link: Johansen to Nashville for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now, at least in my opinion, both are weak. Not just by subtracting Joey, but all of our forwards are 'underperforming'. Are they really? Or was last season a mirage? Cam has more to give, Dubi does too (but not too much). Wennberg and Karlsson are growing, sure, but really do we have anybody on the forwards producing the way they should? I could only think of Hartnell. Which is scary since he's likely next out of here. We have so many useless players right now.

I think a big problem is lack of scoring from the D. Connauton & Savard have a whopping 1 between them; last year they had 20. Our depth forwards are way off from last year too. Foligno is off but is rallying and could come close to last year's number if he continues. Saad is on track for about 30 g's. Dubi seems a bit off. Cam is on track for his best season.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think a big problem is lack of scoring from the D. Connauton & Savard have a whopping 1 between them; last year they had 20. Our depth forwards are way off from last year too. Foligno is off but is rallying and could come close to last year's number if he continues. Saad is on track for about 30 g's. Dubi seems a bit off. Cam is on track for his best season.
What it comes down to is a lack of goals coming from our centers, our bottom 6, and our defence. Saad, Hartsy, Jenner, Atkinson are all chugging along at a 25-low 30's goal scoring rate.

Our best goal scoring center is on pace for like, 15 goals. Pretty bad. And that's including when Joey was here.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Why did Nashville take Jones when they had Weber and Josi(dont think they still had Suter did they?)

You take BPA and when they develop you can trade from a position of strength for your weakness.

Exactly. For example, you are better off having 4 A prospects at one position than 2A and 2B prospects at 2 different positions. Teams want talent. You can always trade talent. We have proven that by getting Saad and Jones. I'm sure people didn't want us to take 3 forwards in the first round of the 2013 draft.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm surprised by the weak memories on the boards. I know a lot of you were here when I started here a few years ago.

When Jarmo took 3 forwards in the first round in 2013, it wasn't despite organizational need. At the time the general assumption (something discussed here ad nauseum) was that the team lacked forward talent, and that the D were not a problem.

2012-13 Regular Season

Player GP G A Pts +/- PIM
Vaclav Prospal 48 12 18 30 3 32
Mark Letestu 46 13 14 27 7 10
Fedor Tyutin 48 4 18 22 9 28
Brandon Dubinsky29 2 18 20 2 76
Jack Johnson 44 5 14 19 −5 12
Nick Foligno 45 6 13 19 6 28
R. J. Umberger 48 8 10 18 3 16
Artem Anisimov 35 11 7 18 −6 12
Cam Atkinson 35 9 9 18 9 4
Derick Brassard‡ 34 7 11 18 −2 16
Matt Calvert 42 9 7 16 −9 32
James Wisniewski30 5 9 14 −1 15
Ryan Johansen 40 5 7 12 −7 12
Nikita Nikitin 38 3 6 9 2 17
Derek Dorsett‡ 24 3 6 9 −11 53
Derek MacKenzie 43 3 5 8 1 36
Marian Gaborik† 12 3 5 8 5 6

The scoring is very deep but the top end is concerning. Two journeymen, two d-men, and then Dubi and Foligno who couldn't score.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I'm surprised by the weak memories on the boards. I know a lot of you were here when I started here a few years ago.

When Jarmo took 3 forwards in the first round in 2013, it wasn't despite organizational need. At the time the general assumption (something discussed here ad nauseum) was that the team lacked forward talent, and that the D were not a problem.

2012-13 Regular Season

Player GP G A Pts +/- PIM
Vaclav Prospal 48 12 18 30 3 32
Mark Letestu 46 13 14 27 7 10
Fedor Tyutin 48 4 18 22 9 28
Brandon Dubinsky29 2 18 20 2 76
Jack Johnson 44 5 14 19 −5 12
Nick Foligno 45 6 13 19 6 28
R. J. Umberger 48 8 10 18 3 16
Artem Anisimov 35 11 7 18 −6 12
Cam Atkinson 35 9 9 18 9 4
Derick Brassard‡ 34 7 11 18 −2 16
Matt Calvert 42 9 7 16 −9 32
James Wisniewski30 5 9 14 −1 15
Ryan Johansen 40 5 7 12 −7 12
Nikita Nikitin 38 3 6 9 2 17
Derek Dorsett‡ 24 3 6 9 −11 53
Derek MacKenzie 43 3 5 8 1 36
Marian Gaborik† 12 3 5 8 5 6

The scoring is very deep but the top end is concerning. Two journeymen, two d-men, and then Dubi and Foligno who couldn't score.

Yes also recall this in retrospect. The conventional wisdom was we needed our d to provide the offense since it was the strength of the team...

... a d that had very little change in terms of quality until the trade.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-w...dators-have-the-edge-in-johansen-jones-trade/

It is still perplexing to Johnson and Olczyk that the Blue Jackets were so eager to trade Johansen, who had a goal and an assist in his Predators debut Friday in Denver.

“You hope it wasn’t due to past contract negotiations because to me, that’s incredibly short-sighted,” Johnson said. “It’s just business and to allow that to linger on either side is dumb.

Dumb. Yes, exactly. Short-sighted. Really dumb.

“There was some ill will for sure and you saw the way he was being used by Tortorella,” Olczyk added, “but it’s tough to find guys who can put up 70 points, or even 55 to 60. You’re really banking on guys there being able to fill that void by committee.”

And that "committee" is going to be slotted above their ideal roles.

Watching Dubinsky try to take on the role of a #1C is going to be painful. Wennberg could be comedic gold.

Last edited:

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-w...dators-have-the-edge-in-johansen-jones-trade/

Watching Dubinsky try to take on the role of a #1C is going to be painful. Wennberg even worse.

Watching Johansen fill it recently was also painful. Massive defensive lapses to flat-out quitting on plays? I could accept stuff like that from a 19-20 year old rookie, but from a 23 year old guy with his experience? That's embarrassing. I'd rather see Dubinsky hustling his ass off and coming up short as a 1C than Johansen floating around hanging his head.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Watching Johansen fill it recently was also painful. Massive defensive lapses to flat-out quitting on plays? I could accept stuff like that from a 19-20 year old rookie, but from a 23 year old guy with his experience? That's embarrassing. I'd rather see Dubinsky hustling his ass off and coming up short as a 1C than Johansen floating around hanging his head.

Johansen quit as a result of being **** on incessantly by the FO and then Tortorolmao. He was left with no other option other than to "Carter it". It worked. Great strategy by him and his agent. Born out of necessity. It was his only leverage.

Dubinsky has a great PR machine. The Pete Rose of Hockey:laugh: Just remember how he and Tortorolmao ended up getting along in New York.

Round 2 of their relationship ain't gonna end any different. Two self promoting egos which are bound to clash and burn.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Johanson "quit" because of the FO or Torts, he is a first class ********* and certainly no where near what it takes to be a pro. RyJo had a duty to his fellow CBJ players to give his best. He had a duty to the fans who pay his salary. And if he quit on those duties because the FO hurt his "pou widdle feelins", screw him. IF that is the case, and it is you saying that, not me, I will boo the hell out of the the coward the next time he puts a blade on the ice at Nationwide.

CR you better come up with a better excuse than that for widdle Joey, because that one sucks real bad.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Johansen quit as a result of being **** on incessantly by the FO and then Tortorolmao. He was left with no other option other than to "Carter it". It worked. Great strategy by him and his agent. Born out of necessity. It was his only leverage.

Dubinsky has a great PR machine. The Pete Rose of Hockey:laugh: Just remember how he and Tortorolmao ended up getting along in New York.

Round 2 of their relationship ain't gonna end any different. Two self promoting egos which are bound to clash and burn.

Ah, yes. The 23-year old All-Star who can't stand criticism so he must play his way out of town rather than playing hard. If that's true, I like the trade even more.

jacketsgeek

Gimme some bread , man!
Sep 30, 2007
Pickerington, OH

This! 1000x this!!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Ah, yes. The 23-year old All-Star who can't stand criticism so he must play his way out of town rather than playing hard. If that's true, I like the trade even more.

Exactly. This is a professional sport. If you need someone to coddle your ego then you aren't cut out for it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Joey " Jeff Carter-ed" us.
I'm sorry, I don't remember the last time Joey required a special visit from the GM, coach, and team captain to get him to consider coming to the city. Nor do I remember him playing like utter crap for the entirety of his tenure here. Or ever expressing anything against the city. Or ever snubbing fans at an event he agreed to and was advertised for.

I recognize the desire to vilify the departed so that it doesn't hurt as much, but comparing him to The Former #7 is downright offensively unfair. That's like comparing Malhotra's departure over dollars to that of Alexei Yashin.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Viqsi, it is Joey's big supporter, Cyclone Rocks, who suggested that Joey quit on the team to force a trade because the FO was mean to him. Everyone else has just reacted with disgust to CR's suggestion. No one else vilified him other the CR who was trying to justify Joey's actions.

You really have to keep with who is posting what.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The ignore list is great for this thread. Lets you turn off the madness for a while. I suggest it as an option. This thread had gone plaid with a few posters.

To even think Joey and Carter should be in the same sentence is ridiculous. Joey simply needs to find his motivation to play to his potential. It wasn't happening here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad