Confirmed with Link: Johansen to Nashville for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Still can't believe we traded him

image.jpg

I've never seen the future so clearly before... Thanks to Dav - Kek encephalitis and anterograde amnesia, I'm trying unsuccessfully reconnect emotionally to team, but it's probably the only minus in pink ocean of hopes. From this day and forever we are contender. Blue bricks everywhere around NHL

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
image.jpg

I've never seen the future so clearly before... Thanks to Dav - Kek encephalitis and anterograde amnesia, I'm trying unsuccessfully reconnect emotionally to team, but it's probably the only minus in pink ocean of hopes. From this day and forever we are contender. Blue bricks everywhere around NHL

Well if you are feeling too lost you can venture over to the Preds board and express your love for Joey while simultaneously bashing the CBJ and the posters here. It seems to work for some others that are taking this poorly. It will also give you the opportunity to say "told ya so" when joey shoots more than 1 time a game or scores multiple points in a game, which we all know will happen.

KlichkoBro*

Well if you are feeling too lost you can venture over to the Preds board and express your love for Joey while simultaneously bashing the CBJ and the posters here. It seems to work for some others that are taking this poorly. It will also give you the opportunity to say "told ya so" when joey shoots more than 1 time a game or scores multiple points in a game, which we all know will happen.

I don't think he or anyone else needs your advise where and how to express an opinion and emotions about the trade, and I'm absolutely confident he doesn't need your permission to say anything that doesn't brake the forum rules.
The only good thing about this trade for me is that Ukrainians and Russians got something in common.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I can have an opinion holy cow I forgot you are the all knowing and you know what's best for this club. Damn.

Oh... I forgot... Your opinion (or in this case your repeated re-statement of said opinion) is immune to sarcasm.

You aren't the only one with the opinion; however you are the one that is re-stating it repeatedly right now.

I have no issue with you being upset about the trade. Having said that, I get it. Now let's move on.

What is probably the most amusing part of this is I see all sides in this debate and I'm not sure that, other than a couple of the true extremists, I don't think the sides are wrong. I just disagree with some of the details.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I don't think he or anyone else needs your advise where and how to express an opinion and emotions about the trade, and I'm absolutely confident he doesn't need your permission to say anything that doesn't brake the forum rules.
The only good thing about this trade for me is that Ukrainians and Russians got something in common.

I guess I should add ;) next time. But thanks for your input.

And it's break.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wonder how Nashville will deal with Joey's next deal.They are notoriously frugal other than when they dug deep to keep Weber. Will be interesting.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Now that I've had a few days to reflect on this trade, I'd like to offer a theory.

After trying to tweak this team into success by making the Saad trade, hiring Tortorella, and several other moves like trading Wiz, letting numerous bottom 6 FAs walk etc. Jarmo/JD decided this team was not built with the type of foundation that most often succeeds, building from the net out. Good Bob is a great start, but oft-injured Bob and the bad Bob we've seen, coupled with a barely adequate backup in McBackup need improvement. It looks like Forsberg and Korpisalo might develop into 1s or 1Bs. If that happens, check goalie off.

Obviously, the defense has been a major weakness. While either or both of Murray and Werenski could develop into a franchise defenseman, a#1 or at least top pair, adding Jones could be a big step in creating an exemplary defense. If at least one of these guys becomes a true #1, then check that one off as well.

Forward group: If the team is successfully built from the net out it becomes a bit easier for forwards to succeed.Teams with really good blue lines enter the offensive zone with speed which helps the forwards. The Jackets have a good top line winger in Saad, a really good#2 C in Dubie, good second line wings in Jenner and Atkinson with some help on the way at wing in Cleveland. Wennberg is already a solid #3 C who should continue to improve. What's really needed? An elite sniper and a #1 C. I believe the Jackets can likely get a sniper or a 1 C in this year's draft: Puljujarvi, Laine, McLeod, Nylander or though it's unlikely- Matthews.

I don't know, but since it usually takes defensemen and goaltenders much longer to develop than forwards, maybe this deal could be part of resetting the team, building a solid foundation and then adding centers as the rest mature?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know, but since it usually takes defensemen and goaltenders much longer to develop than forwards, maybe this deal could be part of resetting the team, building a solid foundation and then adding centers as the rest mature?

No doubt about it. You have to have your Keith and Seabrook in place, and a few years older than your Toews and Kane.

The Oilers case is obvious (we are a lot like the Oilers) but what folks don't realize is that they have some great young D emerging in Klefbom and Nurse. The problem is that their development is after the star forwards. That's the wrong order.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
The Oilers case is obvious (we are a lot like the Oilers) but what folks don't realize is that they have some great young D emerging in Klefbom and Nurse. The problem is that their development is after the star forwards. That's the wrong order.

That doesn't really make any sense. The other NHL dynasty of late (LA Kings) went the opposite way. Doughty is younger than the forward core. There is no 1 right way to do it, only the right players, in the right situation.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Cannoli-
I largely agree.

But I think it also allows the CBJ to have their best player be an "effort" guy rather than guy who sometimes floated. There is certainly issues with Ryan's representation and CBJ management (which in most cases is healthy friction) which didn't help.

The third thing is the CBJ looked at their window to win and determined it's a couple years down the road, so they got younger.

But whether it's one of the three (different structure of team, needed a change of their best player, or building for further down the road) or a combination of all I don't know.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Now that I've had a few days to reflect on this trade, I'd like to offer a theory.

After trying to tweak this team into success by making the Saad trade, hiring Tortorella, and several other moves like trading Wiz, letting numerous bottom 6 FAs walk etc. Jarmo/JD decided this team was not built with the type of foundation that most often succeeds, building from the net out. Good Bob is a great start, but oft-injured Bob and the bad Bob we've seen, coupled with a barely adequate backup in McBackup need improvement. It looks like Forsberg and Korpisalo might develop into 1s or 1Bs. If that happens, check goalie off.

Obviously, the defense has been a major weakness. While either or both of Murray and Werenski could develop into a franchise defenseman, a#1 or at least top pair, adding Jones could be a big step in creating an exemplary defense. If at least one of these guys becomes a true #1, then check that one off as well.

Forward group: If the team is successfully built from the net out it becomes a bit easier for forwards to succeed.Teams with really good blue lines enter the offensive zone with speed which helps the forwards. The Jackets have a good top line winger in Saad, a really good#2 C in Dubie, good second line wings in Jenner and Atkinson with some help on the way at wing in Cleveland. Wennberg is already a solid #3 C who should continue to improve. What's really needed? An elite sniper and a #1 C. I believe the Jackets can likely get a sniper or a 1 C in this year's draft: Puljujarvi, Laine, McLeod, Nylander or though it's unlikely- Matthews.

I agree. I think the front office got off track given the unexpected playoff year and the (false) positives coming out of last year and the streak. They got bamboozled by optimism.

I am taking this trade as a sign that they've reset course and are back to trying to rebuild. Too bad it took 2 years, and I can't help but wonder if they might have made some significantly different decisions re: trades and contracts had they been in "rebuild" mode consistently, as opposed to "we seem to be just 1 or 2 players away from something".

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Cannoli-
I largely agree.

But I think it also allows the CBJ to have their best player be an "effort" guy rather than guy who sometimes floated. There is certainly issues with Ryan's representation and CBJ management (which in most cases is healthy friction) which didn't help.

The third thing is the CBJ looked at their window to win and determined it's a couple years down the road, so they got younger.

But whether it's one of the three (different structure of team, needed a change of their best player, or building for further down the road) or a combination of all I don't know.

I think you both make good points.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That doesn't really make any sense. The other NHL dynasty of late (LA Kings) went the opposite way. Doughty is younger than the forward core. There is no 1 right way to do it, only the right players, in the right situation.

Actually, it does make sense. It is the best way to do it, but it isn't the only way.

In football I would build in this order: OL, QB, RB, WR/TE
In hockey I would build in this order: G, D, C, LW/RW
In baseball I would build in this order: SP, RP, C, SS/CF, 1B/2B/3B/LF/RF
In basketball it doesn't matter.

That doesn't mean you can't do it in another way, but that is the best way, IMO, to do it.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
These build orders are heretical pseudo science, nothing more. Playbook is the key. If you have one player overriding the playbook your whole playbook is compromised. Even birds fly in flocks. Four passes break any defence like the WJC showed.

KlichkoBro*

So why did they draft 3 forwards with the three 1st round picks they've got from Howson regime? Are they learned how to build a team after running the Jackets for 1 year? I think Jarmo and JD had no idea how they wanted to build this franchise.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So why did they draft 3 forwards with the three 1st round picks they've got from Howson regime? Are they learned how to build a team after running the Jackets for 1 year? I think Jarmo and JD had no idea how they wanted to build this franchise.

Probably because most consider first round picks as that of best available and not that of need. You don't draft what you need today as 18 year olds don't typically changed your franchise immediately. You draft for development. Some have the ability to pay sooner which we have seen from those three picks. In my opinion anyone thinking the draft solves today's needs, unless it is my trading picks for players, should give their head a shake.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I'll agree that there are exceptions. But to be an exception your star D has to develop on the Doughty/Ekblad time frame. Which is incredibly rare.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I know there's a language barrier, but the term "resetting" would imply that more recent action represent a change from prior actions. Yes it is possible they have "learned."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
These build orders are heretical pseudo science, nothing more. Playbook is the key. If you have one player overriding the playbook your whole playbook is compromised. Even birds fly in flocks. Four passes break any defence like the WJC showed.

I totally agree about the importance of the pass game and the flock. But you have to have personnel who can play that game. I think our D in general are substandard at it.

Their plan has always been to gradually add young talent. That's true for most any GM of an unsuccessful team. But the particular's have certainly changed. Three years ago the assessment was that the Jackets had an okay D and weak F. That completely flipped by this past summer.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Their plan has always been to gradually add young talent. That's true for most any GM of an unsuccessful team. But the particular's have certainly changed. Three years ago the assessment was that the Jackets had an okay D and weak F. That completely flipped by this past summer.

Now, at least in my opinion, both are weak. Not just by subtracting Joey, but all of our forwards are 'underperforming'. Are they really? Or was last season a mirage? Cam has more to give, Dubi does too (but not too much). Wennberg and Karlsson are growing, sure, but really do we have anybody on the forwards producing the way they should? I could only think of Hartnell. Which is scary since he's likely next out of here. We have so many useless players right now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Now, at least in my opinion, both are weak. Not just by subtracting Joey, but all of our forwards are 'underperforming'. Are they really? Or was last season a mirage? Cam has more to give, Dubi does too (but not too much). Wennberg and Karlsson are growing, sure, but really do we have anybody on the forwards producing the way they should? I could only think of Hartnell. Which is scary since he's likely next out of here. We have so many useless players right now.

I disagree. We've had less production from the 4th line and from the D, but the top 6 or 7 forwards are producing at least at an "average" rate even if they're "underperforming". It's better than the Flyers, Pens, Rangers, Isles, only behind the Caps in the metro. It might be underperforming, but it's not weak.

Here's the numbers - Top six scoring forwards:

Jackets - 153 pts.
Isles - 148 pts.
Pens - 137 pts.
Rangers - 145 pts.
Flyers - 129 pts.

* Note that this is already biased against the Jackets. If we give Joey's minutes to others, they score more. But counting now just subtracts Joey without allowing anyone else to score in those minutes. Losing Joey would also be a loss of complementary scoring effect, but I doubt much.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Why did Nashville take Jones when they had Weber and Josi(dont think they still had Suter did they?)

You take BPA and when they develop you can trade from a position of strength for your weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad