Confirmed with Link: Johansen to Nashville for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Viqsi, it is Joey's big supporter, Cyclone Rocks, who suggested that Joey quit on the team to force a trade because the FO was mean to him. Everyone else has just reacted with disgust to CR's suggestion. No one else vilified him other the CR who was trying to justify Joey's actions.

You really have to keep with who is posting what.
Ah. Mea culpa. I tuned him out a while back.

Seriously, imagine how frustrating it is to have someone who seemingly agrees with most of the points you've made in a recent debate, but then goes and starts arguing all sorts of insane garbage based on those. It's embarrassing. If I wanted to see that kind of ranting, I'd read about Time Cube.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The latest cannon fodder has a lengthy discussion of the Joey - FO history, going back a ways.

Porty really is the best source of information we have. Far from perfect, but a good reporter. That said, you can find plenty of problems in the analysis, as the reporters play up a seemingly random set of contradictory narratives. So Joey "was definitely going to be traded" and the FO decided before this year. But then they critique Jarmo for bringing in Saad with the idea that he was going to be Joey's LW. One or both of those things has to be false.

If these guys, with all the reportable and unreportable info they have, can't settle on a narrative, then I suppose it's too much to expect for folks on these boards to settle on a narrative.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
For posterity, here's Friedman about the other defenseman (Shattenkirk, Brodin) that were likely offered to the CBJ for Joey:

I suspect that, if St. Louis won the Ryan Johansen derby, Shattenkirk would have gone to Columbus in that trade. That’s another reason his name seeped out. Everyone knew the Blue Jackets wanted defencemen, which is why Minnesota dangled Jonas Brodin.

7. The day of the Christmas trade freeze, there were a couple of teams who suspected someone was closing in on Johansen. It wasn’t Nashville. With 20-20 hindsight, it’s clear that intel was off, as Blue Jackets were willing to hold off on everything else to see if Nashville GM David Poile would budge on Seth Jones.

“I think it’s fair to say they were looking for the best defencemen offered to them,†Poile said the morning after. “It’s as simple as that.†He added he made the final decision to include Jones the afternoon the trade was done. “I knew there was no deal to make with them other than that.â€

Kekalainen also wouldn’t come right out and say it was a waiting game for the 2013 fourth overall pick, but the inference was there. “We knew what we were looking for,†he answered.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ducks-a-logical-fit-for-lightnings-drouin/

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I believe they opted for Jones over Shattenkirk obviously due to the pending UFA. I can't believe they opted for Jones over Brodin. I know Brodin has struggled, and he's not a RHD, but damn.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Jones is the smarter play long term. We have Murray(who doesnt like playing his weak side), Johnson, Tyutin and possibly Werenski on the left side.

Jones just brings some real balance to the blue line.

William Nylander*

I believe they opted for Jones over Shattenkirk obviously due to the pending UFA. I can't believe they opted for Jones over Brodin. I know Brodin has struggled, and he's not a RHD, but damn.

You seriously think Brodin>Jones?

Pretty sure a poll between those two would be heavily favoured in Jones' way :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think you take Jones on upside, easily. I don't know if there's a big difference in their quality right now. Brodin is not that good - he proved to be a good complement for Suter early in his career, but has been nothing special since then and Suter doesn't want to pair with him anymore. The shortage of quality RHD is a problem for a lot of clubs, Wild and Jackets included.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ah. Mea culpa. I tuned him out a while back.

Seriously, imagine how frustrating it is to have someone who seemingly agrees with most of the points you've made in a recent debate, but then goes and starts arguing all sorts of insane garbage based on those. It's embarrassing. If I wanted to see that kind of ranting, I'd read about Time Cube.

No problem.

I tuned you out after your incessant defenses of Howson and Umberger. Hitched your wagon to a pair of obvious losers there. Not much to tune into with someone who couldn't see that Umberger was shot, hon. That was what is commonly referred to as a "no brainer".

If you think Johansen was giving his fullest this season in Columbus, then your ability to rate effort is, well, embarrassing!

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
LOL seen this too many times

Looks familiar. People can compare him to Joe Thornton all they want, but Thornton would never allow something like that to happen to him. Marian Hossa made him look like a beer-league plug, and if he had hustled back he could have been able to check Shaw and keep that puck out of the net. That play is embarrassing and if I were Nashville I'd be concerned. This season everyone excused that sort of a lack of hustle as a sign of him not wanting to be here, or just having a rough season. He's in Nashville now, they're in contention for a playoff spot! What the hell was that? If I were a Predator player I'd be dragging him aside and chewing his ass out! I've seen behavior of this sort from my kids before in other sports, he honestly looks like someone who has lost the passion to play hockey. He looks like someone whose dad is forcing him to play.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Apparently the adrenaline has wore off. That sequence is honestly more embarrassing than anything I saw him do this year.

I wouldn't count on a RyJo reset until the offseason.

I agree and have been saying it. I am a huge Johansen fan, but if his issue is conditioning then that won't be rectified until the summer.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
LOL seen this too many times

Everything I hated about watching Johansen play in one little segment. I was watching that game live and it was pretty terrible. That clip doesn't even show the whole bit of him getting the puck at the offensive blueline and instad of dumping it in skating all the way back to his defensive blue line...then he does his lazy loop and gets tossed like a little girl by hossa.

I freely admit that I was never enamored with what Johansen brought to the table on the ice. I'll take a 5'11" Pavel Datsyuk that can hustle and playe great defense over 6'3" Ryan Johansen all day. On top of that, I think Joey's on ice attitude is contagious and dangerous to a team. Other players see it and it can spread. Nasty stuff. Then, off the ice it seems like he has a much higher opinion of himself than anybody else does. I think his next contract negotiation is going to be a nightmare for whoever has him. I'm glad we got out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad