Prospect Info: Johan Larsson (2013 via trade) – '14-15: Rochester #26 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
so how long till we can realistically expect to see him in a sabres jersey? make it out of camp? first call up?

Next week!?

Can we really say that Luke Adam will be playing over Larsson this season?

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Next week!?

Can we really say that Luke Adam will be playing over Larsson this season?

He is probably the next in line for a callup, at this point being the only prospect we have with NHL experiance in Rochester that is healthy.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Does he play better on the wing or at center? I noticed he's listed as a winger for Houston. He seems like exactly the type of player this club needs, we have a total of zero good two-way players right now and I believe that's a big reason for our suckage.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Nothing about this kid excites me at all. He sounds an awful lot like Jochen Hecht part 2. Which is ok I guess, because younger Jochen was a key on the post lockout teams, but if he chips in more than like 40 points a year I'd be shocked.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nothing about this kid excites me at all. He sounds an awful lot like Jochen Hecht part 2. Which is ok I guess, because younger Jochen was a key on the post lockout teams, but if he chips in more than like 40 points a year I'd be shocked.

He's a two way forward who is improving his OFFENSIVE game. A rare thing. An awesome thing IMO, when you're not trying to coach up a forward's defense.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

Haha...Bye Jason.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica

I think you realized the value by the end of your post- if he can turn into 2003-2008 Hecht with better leadership and intangibles, that's a damn good player we got our hands on.

KaZziT

Jun 29, 2012
Finland
I can't wait to see Larsson, Grigorenko, Girgensons and Armia + This year First round pick's playing for Blue&Gold in the future! This is now giving some hope. Player's are looking strong and skillfull!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Hockey's all about points, right?

He fills a huge organizational need. They added a guy to man the defensive heavy lifting for the next decade - if anyone is upset about that, they aren't doing it right.

Perfect compliment to our young core of offensive centers.

Criispen

Jan 14, 2013
Sweden
Just saw this on twitter
Kris Baker ‏@SabresProspects 27m
I put together a few clips of new Sabres/Amerks forward Johan Larsson from this season with Houston (AHL)

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He's really the gem of the deal for the Sabres. Has been under-rated offensively at every level, and basically out produces supposedly "more skilled" peers at every level, going back to the U20 in Sweden, to the SEL as a teenager, to the AHL this year as a 20 year old rookie on NA ice for the first time. Absolute worst case, you have a 20-20 guy who wears a letter for the Sabres in 5 years, while playing in every situation and being on the ice in the final minute of every game, in every situation. Best case, you have Daniel Alfredsson 2.0 who becomes one of the key building blocks for the Sabres and he has 15+ year career. Their skill level, size and playing size are not dis-similar. Really wanted to the Sens to land this guy in his draft year and have watched him closely ever since.

He and Girgensons could very well define the character of the Sabres going forward, which is a scary proposition for the rest of the teams in the NE long-term.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He'll be a 60-point, workhorse 2nd line center in his prime. He is the perfect middle piece of the top-9, where most teams have a giant hole.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'll hold out judgement, but heavy feet is my least favorite trait in a hockey player. IMO, it's the main reason CoHo struggles defensively against top players. Hopefully there is enough quality in other areas of his game that he can overcome that issue.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'll hold out judgement, but heavy feet is my least favorite trait in a hockey player. IMO, it's the main reason CoHo struggles defensively against top players. Hopefully there is enough quality in other areas of his game that he can overcome that issue.

Yep, just like Paul Gaustad struggled defensively.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Every contending team would want a Jochen Hecht in his prime playing for them IMO.
Dude could fit into any forward role, was an elite PKer and defensive forward and 55-60 points wasn't really that bad.

My point is, if Larsson turns into Hecht 2.0... I'd be perfectly happy.

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
Someone has to play devil's advocate, so I will. 5'10" guy with below average speed who projects as a third line center as the centerpiece of a trade for a first line winger who plays all special teams and is your team captain? I'm underwhelmed.

I hope that he turns into Chris Drury, rather than a taller version of Nathan Gerbe. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Someone has to play devil's advocate, so I will. 5'10" guy with below average speed who projects as a third line center as the centerpiece of a trade for a first line winger who plays all special teams and is your team captain? I'm underwhelmed.

I hope that he turns into Chris Drury, rather than a taller version of Nathan Gerbe. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Darcy said that the draft picks were the center pieces, the players were add ons, FWIW.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So your contention is that heavy feet is the biggest deterrent to being good defensively, but if you're tall and strong it negates that?

Because that's what I'm getting from your responses so far.

I get that impression too. :dunno:

The last 2 years Gaustad was here, his physical play tailed off to about 1/4th of what it used to be during the Drury/Briere era too. Heavy feet, sometimes physical, bad hands.

But hey! He was tall and strong!

:biglaugh:

:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So your contention is that heavy feet is the biggest deterrent to being good defensively, but if you're tall and strong it negates that?

Because that's what I'm getting from your responses so far.

I said its the biggest thing holding back Cody. It doesn't have to be for everyone. As I said in my first post, I hope he has enough quality to overcome it. Of course, you choose to focus on CoHo, because for some, anything that criticizes CoHo, they be fightin' words. And yes, having size can absolutely help overcome other deficiencies. That much is common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad