Salary Cap: Joffrey Lupul comes off the books Sunday...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
imageproxy.php

Time to leave the Island.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Some here are definitely forgetting how good he was when he was healthy. In Edmonton he was criticized for being lazy. Here he was anything but... he played his heart out. Unfortunately the very back injury that led him to take his career seriously, also seems to have prematurely ended it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
With Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Gleason, Komarov coming off the books this week it definitely feels like the end of an era. The teardown and rebuild feel complete now. Too bad Kessel is gonna be hanging around for quite a while longer still.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
With Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Gleason, Komarov coming off the books this week it definitely feels like the end of an era. The teardown and rebuild feel complete now. Too bad Kessel is gonna be hanging around for quite a while longer still.

we are still paying Grabovski for a few more years as well

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some here are definitely forgetting how good he was when he was healthy. In Edmonton he was criticized for being lazy. Here he was anything but... he played his heart out. Unfortunately the very back injury that led him to take his career seriously, also seems to have prematurely ended it.

Yeah, I defiantly hold no ill will to Arsenal the guy. He was a fairly good player when he was able to play. Seemed to legitimately care about the team’s success too

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm wondering how much junk he's gonna talk about the Leafs after Sunday. He did have that one social media post that was quickly deleted a few years ago. That's why you don't have a few too many and talk crap on social media.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
7th highest scoring Leaf since making his debut, pretty impressive considering he hasn't played in two years.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why do you think he was toxic? Was he known to be a dressing room problem?

It's sorta the only thing that makes sense. But nobody around here actually knows anything about it.

Either way, I'm sure Lupul is going to have something to say the moment his contract is over, so that should be interesting.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's sorta the only thing that makes sense. But nobody around here actually knows anything about it.

Either way, I'm sure Lupul is going to have something to say the moment his contract is over, so that should be interesting.

I think it was a pretty simple situation that people want to complicate.

The message to a guy like Lupul was that it's basically in your best interest to disappear and "recover from your injuries" while your contract runs out as you'll get paid and have the convenience to dictate where you spend your time.

But if you want to bust you ass and rehab and work your way back into professional hockey playing shape do so knowing it's for a shot in the AHL until July 1 2018 when your contract runs out. Oh and we won't guarantee you any ice time at that level as we will have many kids from past drafts and other cap casualties that we will be trying to give ice time to ahead of you.

It was in everyones best interest for him to go away and collect his salary while saying very little.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Jack Bauer, exactly correct as written above. Leafs didn't want Lupul's cap hit so it was suggested to Lupul to continue to be on LTIR. As suggested, if he was deemed medically he would have been riding the AHL buses.
AHL buses or living in Malibu. Easy choice for Lupul

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Started off well enough, but tough to predict how many games per season there'd be, and a pricey contract as well.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Started off well enough, but tough to predict how many games per season there'd be, and a pricey contract as well.

It was always a horrid contract. The salary is one thing, but that kind of term for someone who already had significant injury concerns was insanity.

He was a very good player when he was healthy. It's too bad he couldn't have stayed that way.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I wish someone paid me 5+ million the last couple of years to stay away from their workplace and do absolutely nothing but cash paychecks. :( :( His hockey career may have ended, but he's still set for life now and I wish him the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad