Salary Cap: Joffrey Lupul comes off the books Sunday...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It was always a horrid contract. The salary is one thing, but that kind of term for someone who already had significant injury concerns was insanity.

He was a very good player when he was healthy. It's too bad he couldn't have stayed that way.

Agreed. The trade was fine, and that "PPG" season was a good development, but going from salary dump to five year contract was definitely quite the misstep.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I liked Lupes. He played hard and was proud to be a Leaf.

He was easily one of our most skilled guys. If he could have ever stayed healthy, he could have been even more of an impact player.

I wish him well.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He was good when healthy, too bad it ended this way... good luck in your future endeavours Lups

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
He was good when healthy, too bad it ended this way... good luck in your future endeavours Lups

Just watched a video of his goals from 2013-14. Hard to believe that he couldn't have contributed in the NHL the last couple of years.

Also had good chemistry with Kadri.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Should have sold high on him after his 67 point season. He'd missed a decent amount of time in 4 out of 5 of his most recent seasons when we re-signed him, including his 67 point season where he only played 66 games.

It was an idiotic contract and just part of the Burke/Nonis desperate attempts to make the playoffs ASAP at all costs and ignoring the risks involved. As a team that had been bottom 10 for 5 straight years at the time we signed Lupul to that contract, we should have moved him for top value after we'd boosted his value the previous season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Komisarek.. Gleason.. Liles.. this thread is a bad trip down memory lane

And to think that we're again hearing clamoring to go down this route again. Sign/acquire X veteran defenseman for little more reason than he's available (Tanev, Pateryn, Orpik, etc.).

As for Lupul, I hope he gets a legitimate kick at the can. For his sake and for the Leafs' sake so we won't be hearing revisionist history about how his career was ended by the Leafs.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think Lupul will play anymore. His body's shot. He sounded pretty done in the last comments I heard.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
How many years out of the league is that? 2/3? Surely he's spent the time wisely recovering and rehabbing, training for a possible last shot.

Id really love it if a team gave him another chance. He certainly wasn't useless for us and did have enough speed and skill to be in the league.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am curious to see if he surfaces somewhere. PTO or Europe.

I think he's done. I remember an interview somewhere from Lupul. He said he wonders if he's good enough to play in this league anymore
Which was humbling and very sad to hear. He doesn't think he's good enough

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Apparently full LTIR relief is not available until the season starts. So Lupul coming off is a huge. Can someone confirm?

His cap-hit counts in the off-season but the Leafs have over 24M in cap-space WITH him on the books so him coming off is a non-event, other than serving as a reminder that we no longer have Burke managing the team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How many years out of the league is that? 2/3? Surely he's spent the time wisely recovering and rehabbing, training for a possible last shot.

Id really love it if a team gave him another chance. He certainly wasn't useless for us and did have enough speed and skill to be in the league.

He may not have that anymore though, after all of his injuries, and even then the league is going away from pure scorers unless they are really special offensively. Vanek could only muster up a 1 year deal for 2 mill after coming off of a 48 point season in 68 games (mostly on a crappy team in Detroit). This year, he'll certainly get a raise, but I doubt he's going to get anything nearly as lucrative as his 24 goals and 56 points would suggest. Lupul in his prime may have been in that same vein. Lupul off his prime likely gets passed up similar to Boyes did a few years ago.

One-dimentional players, just like purely offensive defensemen (also one dimentional players), small goalies and enforcers, are becoming a dying breed in the NHL. You have to be among the best just to stick around, and you need something extra to make any sort of big money. For someone like JvR, it's his net-front presence and PP ability. Then you just get pure scoring machines like Kessel and Kane.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I could see him getting a pto and then roster spot with the Ducks. Hes a good player when healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->