Joffery Lupul denies failing Physical. Says the Leafs "cheat, and everyone lets them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If he's got a complaint then take the thing to the NHLPA. Clearly hasn't had a problem being paid to go on vacation.

In the end....whatever. Never liked Lupul. Not surprised he was banished to Robidas Island. Always found it easier to complain about the fans despite giving them nothing to be excited about.

Probably will end up with a retraction or something later. Doubt he cares enough to do more than complain on instagram.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Don't see why they don't just bury his contract in the minors then if he's healthy and wants to play. Unless there's another caveat to sending him down.

according to cap friendly he has a modified NTC, so that would mean we can send him down. send him to orlando if thats the case

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Don't see why they don't just bury his contract in the minors then if he's healthy and wants to play. Unless there's another caveat to sending him down.

because only a portion of his cap hit would be saved. This is strictly about saving his cap hit

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
soooo... joffrey says nothing for the 2 years he has the biggest salary coming in .. 12 mill over the 2 seasons... NOW his salary drops to 3.75 and he chooses to complain?

I also find it hard to believe that a doctor would put his rep on the line and fail him in his medical if he were healthy

cowan and now this.... not a good week for lou

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Except Lupul is everything the new brass doesn't want in a player... how does Babs put it? Lives right?

Babs and Lou especially are throwback guys... heck Lou wants his players to be clean shaven still!

Lupul is a bachelor for life, lives on an ocean front property in the summers, and attends fashion shows. He picks fights with people on his social media platforms, gives away tickets when he loses his precious cell phone in a taxi cab, and won't admit to being in a committed relationship (when asked he awkwardly avoided the question and said he was gonna be in trouble).

Lou probably puked in his mouth a little bit when he met Lupul.

Do you really want your 20 year old bluechip prospects being invited to fashion shows, ocean front bachelor pads and parties?

I know I'm going to get attacked for my comments... but hockey is a brutal sport, you don't want a player who models in his free time, and attends fashion events, on your hockey team haha. I used to yell at the t.v watching him coast into corners, timing himself right to just miss out finishing a check... and watch him skate into a crease skirmish only to give a light crosscheck to the back of one of his buddies...before engaging in a little laugh with them.

So glad he's far away from this team.

so LL and the gang have problems with a good looking guy dating woman ? and lol if you think all our young kids run home to study the bible after practice and are in bed by 9pm on non game nights

also , we should merge this thread with the old one where many were losing there **** at the suggestion Lupes wasn't injured and the team just decided they didn't want him anymore

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
hmm another player coming out, so much for ethical practices by the Toronto Maple Leafs right. Is this another ungrateful player who hasn't lived up to expectations?

That is literally how Oilers fans would describe Lupul's stint with them back in 2007.

Theoretically speaking, if Lupul was cleared, could they send him down to the Marlies?
because only a portion of his cap hit would be saved. This is strictly about saving his cap hit

They could, but they wouldn't want him anywhere near Dermott, Liljegren, Bracco, etc. He'd probably be sent down to Orlando. This could actually be costly for Lupul if the NHL tries to force the Leafs to keep him around. Instead of sitting at home collecting his pay cheque, he would have to report to the ECHL and ride buses for the rest of the year. If he refused to report, the Leafs could move to terminate his contract, eliminating the cap hit and his salary entirely.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
But we wouldn't want him around the kids on the Marlies. He would be sent down to Orlando. This could actually be costly for Lupul if the NHL tries to force the Leafs to keep him around. Instead of sitting at home collecting his pay cheque, he would have to report to the ECHL and ride buses for the rest of the year. If he refused to report, the Leafs could move to terminate his contract, eliminating the cap hit and his salary entirely.

MLSE should buy an island in the arctic, actually name it Robidas Island, and put their ECHL team there. Only way out is 6 hours by paddleboat.

Somehow I think we wouldn't hear as many complaints about being ready to play if it meant going there instead of Orlando.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
There is allegedly a possible reason he could be saying this randomly now.

allegedly.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Comes out now to get paid his big paycheck first.

Leafs could have bought him out and he would have lost millions.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Comes out now to get paid his big paycheck first.

Leafs could have bought him out and he would have lost millions.

Well they could have. But they would have had his cap hit too.

If it's true, their interests are best served with LTIR

Not sure what will come of it. League may or may not act. All depends on how the other 30 teams react.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Well they could have. But they would have had his cap hit too.

If it's true, their interests are best served with LTIR

Not sure what will come of it. League may or may not act. All depends on how the other 30 teams react.

No, it really doesn't depend on anything. Nobody is giving this a second thought.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That is literally how Oilers fans would describe Lupul's stint with them back in 2007.

They could, but they wouldn't want him anywhere near Dermott, Liljegren, Bracco, etc. He'd probably be sent down to Orlando. This could actually be costly for Lupul if the NHL tries to force the Leafs to keep him around. Instead of sitting at home collecting his pay cheque, he would have to report to the ECHL and ride buses for the rest of the year. If he refused to report, the Leafs could move to terminate his contract, eliminating the cap hit and his salary entirely.

Exactly so they are twisting his arm.

He has two options;

1. Shut up and collect you're money even if you're good to play and be misrable cause you're not playing

2. Go down to the ECHL and be misrable

So yeah again much like the Cowan situation, his frustration is justified.

Legally there is nothing wrong with what the leafs are doing but again, from a moral and impartial view it's tough.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
So having a life outside of hockey means that a player is toxic for a team?

Jesus Christ, these guys are not robots. They are entitled to do things and go to places that they enjoy. Hockey isn't the be all and end all for these guys. They are human just like you and I.

Jesus Christ? I love your passion.. you must have immense insight on this topic. I look forward to your opinion (in all seriousness).

My rebuttal... I'll let Babcock be my rebuttal (straight from the horses mouth) after all I'm speaking for him, and I've watched a lot of interviews by him and Lou and that is where my opinion derives from.....

In case you didn't bother watching... here is the text version:

"being a good pro, so whats a good pro, everybody thinks its cause you make money playing the game but its not, its bout doing it right every single day, eating right, partying at night right, choosing the right spouse, doing all the things right in life that makes everybody successful in any walk of life..."

Of course they are human... why do you think the term "role model" exists though? Whats your opinion on it/your definition?

a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated.

This is the online definition. So if you take Babcocks quote, and compare it to what you know of Lupul.. do you really think Lupul is Babcock's ideal role model?

Why do you think blue chip prospects are often given options of living with family men? Crosby with Lemieux, Eichel with the Moulson family. These guys aren't put with bachelors. Do you think it's just a coincidence that they end up with family men?

Do you want your blue chip player to live with David Backes, family man, who has a charity called Athletes for Animals....

OR do you want you blue chip prospect hanging out with the 32 year old Joffrey Lupul, hanging at his bachelor pad, putting on fancy suits going partying, and picking fights on twitter?

Heck Ron Hainsey just talked about in his last interview, he basically said he was too immature in his early 20's in Montreal to care about becoming a better player.

It's pretty simple, a lot of players talk about not taking their careers seriously in their late teens early twenty's. They talk about going down the wrong route, being with the wrong role models... etc. Babs wants to set his young players up for their best odds.

Look forward to hearing your opinion.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Top two threads on here right now are how the Leafs treat players poorly. Hmmm.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Jesus Christ? I love your passion.. you must have immense insight on this topic. I look forward to your opinion (in all seriousness).

My rebuttal... I'll let Babcock be my rebuttal (straight from the horses mouth) after all I'm speaking for him, and I've watched a lot of interviews by him and Lou and that is where my opinion derives from.....

In case you didn't bother watching... here is the text version:

Of course they are human... why do you think the term "role model" exists though? Whats your opinion on it/you definition?

Why do you think blue chip prospects are often given options of living with family men? Crosby with Lemieux, Eichel with the Moulson family. These guys aren't put with bachelors. Do you think it's just a coincidence that they end up with family men? Honestly?

Do you want your blue chip player to live with David Backes, family man, who has a charity called Athletes for Animals....

OR do you want you blue chip prospect hanging out with the 32 year old Joffrey Lupul, hanging at his bachelor pad, putting on fancy suits going partying, and picking fights on twitter?

It's pretty simple, a lot of players talk about not taking their careers seriously in their late teens early twenty's. They talk about going down the wrong route, being with the wrong role models... etc.

Heck Ron Hainsey just talked about in his last interview, he basically said he was too immature in his early 20's in Montreal to care about becoming a better player.

So whatever Babcock says is gospel. Got it. Henrik Lundqvist lives the exact same lifestyle as Joffrey Lupul. Is he considered a bad role model?

Brent Burns, Joe Thornton and Tyler Seguin all MODELED naked for a magazine are they considered bad role models?

Pretty sure a lot of NHL players go to festivals and concerts as well, are they bad role models?

Pretty sure half of the LA kings all own beach houses are they considered bad role models?

Do you see my point? Or shall I continue?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
so LL and the gang have problems with a good looking guy dating woman ? and lol if you think all our young kids run home to study the bible after practice and are in bed by 9pm on non game nights

also , we should merge this thread with the old one where many were losing there **** at the suggestion Lupes wasn't injured and the team just decided they didn't want him anymore

Watch this, compare to Lupul and get back to me with your opinion.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
FWIW, I ran into Lupul in Montreal last week. I asked him if he was ever going to play for the leafs again and he said probably not, and that he's had multiple back surgeries and still isn't 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad